Friday, October 31, 2014

Trick or Treat



I've been racking my brain to come up with something original for this year's Halloween posting but nothing is happening.  My creative juices have dried up.  

So here is what I'll write about this morning, a potpourri of unrelated happenings and facts.

I was in quandary this morning because I lost my regular barber.  She's retiring for health reasons.  I'm sad to see her go because she cuts my hair exactly the way I want it cut.  None of this "part" stuff and gook in my hair. Just take that shaver and shave my head.  

I was in luck this morning because I went to a barber that I had frequented before in Lewes.  I was hesitant because I hadn't gone back after a few of her haircuts.  You know how barbers can get sometimes if you dump them for another barber.  Thankfully, she held no grudges and gave me a perfect haircut.  

Then on to visit my friend the Cajun at Beebe.  He's been at the hospital for going on three weeks now.  When I rounded the corner to visit his room, there was already a Halloween party going on.  A couple of the hospital staff were dressed in Halloween costumes making the rounds.  I didn't take a picture (should have in retrospect) because the Cajun asked me not to when I visit him.  

After his "Trick or Treaters" left him we had a good discussion.  The Cajun is and always has been great company.  I'm always baffled why some people who have such a wonderful and generous personality are single.  Makes me realize how lucky I am.  

We talked about life and death issues and agreed that end of life issues are to be decided by each of us, and not others. This is always a difficult and sometimes taboo subject to talk about but each of us will face our own life and death issues eventually.  I've always felt it best to have a plan in place.  I know one thing for certain, I don't want my end of life to end up the way of my friend Bob Mc. And it won't.  

The trick or treaters will be around tonight but our lights will be off.  Halloween is fun but I'm just not into it this year.  I haven't even bought "just in case" candy.  

This looks to be a quiet weekend folks.  I haven't done my genealogy updates for a long time.  I think I'll take a few days and immerse myself into that pleasant pastime, my version of yoga.  

The good news yesterday was Tim Cook, the CEO of Apple coming out as a gay man.  I like his quote (which I could have written myself):  

"So let me be clear, I am proud to be gay and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me."  

Tim Cook, Apple CEO


Folks, I've always felt being gay was a gift.  I never once in my life felt ashamed for being gay.  I never once felt that I was shortchanged.  I never once felt that I was born with a liability. Never once.  My only concern was how to survive.  

Well said Tim Cook, well said and thank you.


8 comments:

  1. Ron - creative juices are always there. Never dull is the content you write about. A nice mix today and a wide coverage at that.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      You're always so kind a generous. Thank you.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Between everyone's work giving us candy we are stocked! If anything is left over it all goes BACK to work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the dog's mother,
      Interestingly, when I was a kid I practically lived on candy. Now I eat none. I like a dessert (cake or pie or a brownie) but no candy bars. Nada.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I'm locking the front gate tonight, Ron. It's a longtime tradition here. We'll be watching comedy instead of horror too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo.,
      We received nary a knock at the door last night which was just fine with me.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Do you suppose thems who like to boycott 'out' persons will flee their iPads and iPhones? Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Oh I'm sure the homophobes are in a quandary now and China? The homophobe countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia must really be confused now. All that hate, where can they redirect it?
      Ron

      Delete