Sunday, February 09, 2014

Sunday Meanderings





Or musings, or observations. Here it is Sunday again, one week since my last "bitch" post.

Yesterday, as you can see, I wrote about why I don't watch the Olympics. 


  • Too many commercials
  • Too much one sided coverage of American athletes
  • Too many profiles of the hardships the American athletes had to go through to participate in the Olympics
  • Too much taped (not live) coverage
  • Too many commercials
  • Too much talk


The Olympic Snowboarding medal winners - what? No buzz cuts? Looks like snowboarders from Central Casting.  


It's only a little over a month until the Bloggerpalooza.  It looks like we're going to have about the same number of participants this year (20) as we did last year.  A few will not be coming and a few new folks will be coming.  It looks like a wash.  This week and next week I'll review the "prizes" and get in touch with Marshall Manlove, our hypnotist to make suggestions for his show.  Anyone still wanting to attend contact me by e-mail and I'll give you the details.


Wild and crazy bloggers at last year's Bloggerpalooza


Yesterday I talked to my brother Isaac in Pennsylvania.  He just got his power back after being out since last Wednesday.  Mother of God, can you imagine?  I am SO GLAD I moved from PA, and not just because of the all too frequent power outages.  We lived on a beautiful piece of land (6.875 wooded acres) but with all those trees, every time there was a heavy wind, the power went out.  DONT.MISS.THAT.  In fact, right before we moved  down here (Delaware) in 2006 the power was out most of the week in the heat of summer after a heavy wind storm.  That was just another reminder to get out of Pennsylvania, and their ever increasing confiscatory taxes. And especially now, since they have a Republican governor and Republican controlled state legislature that is trying to suppress the vote with the bogus voter ID law and their war on women.  When I heard of those shenanigans I was doubly glad to get out of that state, no matter how geographically beautiful it is.  And they're also anti-gay.  No marriage equality in Alabama north of the border….er Pennsylvania.


A Chester County road that I used to travel in PA - after the ice storm last week


More doctor's appointments this week.  Not too bad, I go to the dentist on Wednesday.  Bill pointed out to me the dried blood on my shirt that I didn't know was there.  That was as a result of my dermatologist scrapping a keratosis patch off of my left torso under my arm.  Always something folks.  



I did a preliminary run on my taxes.  First time I'm filing jointly.  Bill and I are officially married which means we will now enjoy and benefit from the same marital protections that straight couples have had since the beginning of time.  So far, instead of owing over a $1,000 like I did last year, it looks like I'm getting back $985 this year.  Hey, feels good to be EQUAL and not Less Than.




Is it me or has this winter seemed like it's going on forever?  Wow.  I am SO READY for spring.  

By the way, I'm watching some really good TV now.  I rent Netflix DVD's which I find is the best way to watch TV.  I can't stand all the commercials on TV, that's why I mostly don't watch TV.  The only TV I watch is MSNBC and the daily lineup of Ed Schultz, Rev. Al Sharpton, Chris Matthews, Chris Hayes, Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O'Donnell.  I don't watch any other TV except for my Netflix rentals, which I'm binging on "The Good Wife" right now.  Oh SOOO GOOD.  I binge on those DVD right in my home movie theater, which is my oh so comfy bedroom.

I used to watch shows like "American Idol" but stopped watching when Simon Cowell left and was replaced by the ciphers like Jo-Lo (still can't believe they're paying that giggling phony 15M a year for what?) and Mariah Carey.  What am I missing here?  And they wonder why their viewership has gone down.  Make it interesting folks and get the phonies off.


Talk about a freaking clown show - WTF is this? This is what I'm going to waste my time watching? "Hey Dawg", "Giggle, giggle", and that old man flirting with girls young enough to be his granddaughter?  What's with the sunglasses on his head?  No case? Oh, I get it.  Steven is COOL!


Okay, enough bitching from this quarter.  I feel better now.  


14 comments:

  1. bitch away! so who are the new people coming, besides pat and randy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne Marie,
    There is a "Jack" coming. He seems very nice. Doug T. won't be coming as well as David J. and his friend. So there are three new ones coming and three that came last year who won't be coming back. It's a wash. I haven't heard anything from Kelly S. or Sean the Jeep Guy. I assume they're not coming. I also haven't heard from Mark H. and Fred. I think it's 50-50 wether he will come or not. Of course Marshall Manlove (love his last name) is coming. Our hypnotist. We have a good group.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DAMMIT! NO FAIR! we need our friends to participate. :(

      oh yeah, I have seen jack's comments on this here blog. ok, cool.

      Delete
    2. Anne Marie,
      I got another inquiry from a "David" in Virginia. I don't know who he is (he's never commented on my blog) but he did express interest. I sent him the information. Still, it looks like about the same amount of folks will be attending this year's event. We'll still have a good time. I was hoping for more but I probably shouldn't be surprised. My family reunion this year was very low. I decided it's the last one I will hold. A lot of work goes into holding these events. I was very disappointed with my family reunion. I think our blogger reunion is different though. We know how to have fun!

      Ron

      Delete
    3. Ron, don't be discouraged. My health issues are the only reason that Barry and I are not attending this year. We certainly want to be there. I expect EVERYONE to drink TWO cosmos for us -- refill that pitcher of cosmos! Also, I expect everyone to write detailed posts with lots of pictures of everything, so that we can be there in spirit. Perhaps more people could come if it were held in the summer (thinking about our teacher bloggers), but I do understand the issue with the rates being higher in the summer, and trying to keep costs down. Ron, perhaps the gay issue has something to do with your family reunion, but it certainly does not affect bloggerpalooza!

      Delete
  3. I saw agree with you about the Olympics. NBC sucks with its bias coverage and having made a soap opera out of the athletes's lives.
    I hope bloggerpalooza is a hit again. I would think by then, the weather will have improve 100 %.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      NBC's coverage of the Olympics is awful. And does every athlete's life have to be a soap opera? I don't think so. All this manufactured "reality" is boring. Oh yes, the Bloggerpalooza will be a hit, 100% guaranteed. It's a natural, nothing phony.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. I am going to make a point of really loving spring this year. Wow - just to go out without layers and walk in a carefree manner - not all stilff like cardboard. Congrats, too, on your tax return!! A little extra cash is always a welcomed thing. Pennsylvania looks like what Toronto was earlier this winter. I honestly feel for the people there having to deal without power - not pleasant especially in the cold weather. Lastly - I do put up with a lot of repeat commercials - but I get hooked so easily on the olympics. Can't wait for Bloggerpalooza 2!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I am so relieved that I'm finally getting money back this year. All those years Bill and I have been together (50 this summer) and we've always paid the higher rate, supporting all those heterosexual couples with the little kiddies (not that there is anything wrong with that). It's about time we were treated equal instead of subsidizing the straights and their kids.
      I would watch the Olympics if it was live coverage, even with the commercials but I don't do tape delays. All the spontaneity is gone.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. As Father would say: "Time to have a snort".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      I'm all about smoothies these days except when out in company and then a nice martini or margarita will do, thank you. One does have to be social one does.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Smoothies and snorts are quite different and serve completely different purposes. I can not imagine myself saying at the end of a long day "gee, I'll have a smoothie" and it having accomplished my goal.

      Delete
  6. I gave up Time-Warner cable and Netflix years ago, and I don't miss them one bit. I have a Roku on my big TV and a smart TV (Samsung) on my computer, so I can get Amazon prime and Roku plus. Despite the Roku and smart TV, about all that I watch is PBS. I love PBS including drama, cooking shows, British comedy, Charlie Rose, and BBC and PBS nightly news programs. Then there are the science programs, history programs, and more all without commercials except for the plugs at the beginning and the end. UNC-TV (PBS affiliate) is state-wide and produces their own wonderful programs. The only thing I don't like about PBS are their beg-a-thons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      This is something I will definitely have to look into. I have to cut back on some of my ever increasing expenses. Can't do much about the food, heat, and insurance but I definitely can do something about my entertainment expenses, especially TV where I only watch MSNBC but I'm paying for a whole lot more. Tomorrow I cut off one of my Sirius radian subscriptions. I rarely use it. I too like PBS but the beg-a-thons drive me crazy. Sometimes I would rather watch regular commercials.
      Ron

      Delete