Monday, February 10, 2014

Michael Sam




Michael Sam is a college football player.  He is/was the defensive lineman from the University of Missouri. Yesterday Michael Sam announced that he was gay.  Mr. Sam thus began is journey to become the first publicly gay player in the National Football League.  See here.

I have to admit that I had never heard of Michael Sam before his announcement yesterday.  I will never forget his name now.  Michael Sam is one of those rare individuals, one of those rare GAY individuals who has the balls and the courage to COME OUT.  Bravo for you Michael Sam.  

In the day when Sean Hayes



who played the over the top gay character "Jack" on "Will and Grace" dithered for years about coming out when everyone except those in the cemetery knew he was gay, we need role models like Michael Sam to come out publicly as a gay man. 

In the day when some defend tentative gays like Anderson Cooper 



avoid The Question for years then come out via the back door (Anderson in an e-mail to his gay bud Andrew Sullivan), it is refreshing to see and hear a gay man with real courage to come out.  Folks, this is the ONLY way we break down the doors of hate, ignorance and homophobia. Oh sure, I know all the concerns about "career."  Been there done that folks.  That's the chance you take.  If you choose to have that cudgel over your head, then that's your choice.  But I applaud men like Michael Sam.  

To all those actors who cite their "career concerns", coming out as gay doesn't seem to have impeded Neil Patrick Harris's career.  



Of course the argument with actors is "Once a gay actor comes out the audience won't believe him in leading romantic roles."  Sure, that's a good point but maybe that's just the point.  I find it interesting that straight men can play gay characters but for some reason Hollywood is very reluctant to even give an openly gay actor the chance to play a straight leading role.  Again, it's all about the money.  





But getting back to Michael Sam.  Bravo to you Michael Sam. It is men like you, setting a good role model for a gay man living openly which will save thousands of lives of young gay men (and women) who are struggling with their sexuality in this still basically homophobic country.  

We're getting there folks, albeit one step at a time and an occasional step back.  We're getting there.  Now I wonder what our illustrious Supreme Court Jusice Antonine Scalia has to say about this turn of events.  


It's happening Antonine, it's happening so get over it

12 comments:

  1. Not only has Neil Patrick Harris's career thrived, he's currently playing the most extremely heterosexual man on tv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Professor Chaos,
      I know of other gay actors who portray heterosexual character competently. Most of them are in supporting roles. I can be done. As Anne Marie says, "the hers need to get over it. period". Easier said than done but the first step has to be taken. Michael Sam is one of those courageous individuals who is taking the first step. Who would have imagined even two years ago a bright college prospect for the NFL coming out as gay? Progress is being made. However, I realize there are parts of this country (the South mainly) who will never get on board. Heck, they're still fighting the Civil War or as they call it "the war of Northern Agression."
      Ron

      Delete
  2. h8ers need to get over it. period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      Amen!
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Watching the "fall out" of this has been {almost} humourous. The NFL managers and owners wouldn't go on the record with their responses. Assholes. Whimps. And fools. We shall see if he becomes NFL or not.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      It always amazes me how the big macho guys are so afraid of a gay guy seeing their naked ass in the shower. What's up with that?
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,
    Michael Sam is 6 ft. 5 in. 255 lbs. of gay man. As big as he is, what he did took a monumental amount of courage and hopefully will set an example for others in his position to follow suit. Interestingly, I read earlier today that the NFL says they knew at the beginning of Missouri's season that Michael Sam was gay. If that is true, kudos to the NFL for realizing that talent is more important than sexuality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      I am so impressed with Michael Sam. What a courageous man he is. Not only is he putting his football career at risk, he is risking his own physical safety. This is why I can't understand why other gay men, who are in much less dangerous circumstances are so reluctant to come out. I don't consider myself particularly courageous but I knew what was right and when I came out I was scared to death but I knew I had to do it. I wasn't going to live my life according to someone else's dictates. I wonder what I would have done if I was in Michael Sam's position. I truly don't know.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. His Honor S will be consistent in his interpretations until he goes either by retirement or death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      You'll have to explain this to me. No comprehend.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Ron, I hope this causes the h8'ers heads to explode. Slowly making this tiny world a nicer place. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,

      One step at a time, one step at a time. I am surprised at how much progress towards equality and ending discrimination and hate against gays has been made during my lifetime but we have a very long way to go. When states like Nebraska recognizes marriage equality, then we have arrived.
      Ron

      Delete