Friday, February 07, 2014

Fighting Off a Cold

Cold Ron (note, please don't use this as your Facebook profile picture without my permission)


This is the first year I can remember since we moved to Delaware in November of 2006 that I haven't had a cold.  

In my Flaming Youth I never got colds.  I remember there were times I wish I had a cold so I could get out of school.  One time, when I was twelves years old, I even foolishly cavorted around outside in the cold winter air hoping  to get a cold. Didn't happen.  I was always healthy as a horse.  The only school days I ever missed was because I was quarantined because of one of my brothers' illnesses.  I even missed my sixth grade class trip to Washington D.C. because my brothers John and Isaac had scarlet fever.  This was back in the Fifties when our doctor (Dr. Neff, who actually visited your home with his black bag, imagine that) slapped a big red quarantined sign on the door to our cockroach infested apartment at 120 Washington Avenue in Downingtown, Pennsylvania. 



All the years I worked at the bank in Philadelphia, I never got a cold until the last few years.  I remember one time riding the train in and another passenger sneezed on the back of my neck.  Two days later I had a cold you wouldn't believe. 


Of course I tried to work through the cold and continued to go to work.  This wasn't school days I was trying to miss.  I had a lot of responsibility and just couldn't afford to miss any work.  Didn't do me any good though, I was useless at work.  In addition to spreading germs willy nilly, I just didn't have any energy.  I remember going home on the train, I was ensconced in the back seat of the train, sniffling, sneezing and aching all over.  When I head the conductor yell "Downingtown!" I just couldn't move.  I wanted to stay on that train and go wherever it was going to take me.  I wanted to die.  

Since moving to Delaware, I've caught at least two big colds a year.  Two years ago I had a cold so bad that I went to the doctor's for the first time in my life.  I was so congested that I was afraid if I went to sleep I wouldn't wake up.  Turns out it was a good thing I did because my doctor told me that my left lung had filled up and if I had waited much longer I would have pneumonia.  That scared me.  

That diagnosis reminded me of a 31 year old co-worker of mine when I worked at Girard Bank.  He was a very active guy and like me, he wasn't going to let a few sniffles stop him from going to work and playing ice hockey after work.  The next day he didn't come into work.  I asked "Where's Rich?"  I was told "Oh, didn't you hear?"  I said "No, what happened?"  I was told "After he finished his hockey game after work he went home. They found him dead in his car which was parked in his driveway. The doctor said he had 'walking pneumonia."  Well folks, I had never heard of walking pneumonia before but I never forgot that incident.  


So folks, about three times this season when I felt a cold coming on I took a shot of freshly squeezed orange juice and a Cold EeZe table (which doesn't taste all that great by the way).


So far so good except for last night.  About four hours into my shift at the hotel I got the nose running like a spigot (or "faucet" for my Canadian readers). Oh uh, COLD.COMING.ON.  

Last night I slept like the dead.  This morning I had an early appointment at my dermatologist (yes, more slicing and dicing Ron - this time to scrap a keratosis patch off of my left side under my arm - why it's there I have NO IDEA).  

My dermatologist's office - my home away from home

Right now I'm updating this blog but shortly I will have lunch then REST.  Thank God today is sunny, no snow (YES!) and we have power, unlike so many of my fellow citizens just to the north of us here in LSD.  

I'm thankful I don't have to go into work until next Tuesday.  I'm going to spend the next two or three days here at Casa Tipton-Kelly, nursing this cold.  It's all good folks, I have a nice, solar warmed, sunny bedroom. And that's where I'll be if anyone is looking for me.  

Have a great day!

My lair

23 comments:

  1. Luckily you can't catch a cold from blog reading because several bloggers I've visited today have had colds.
    Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,
      I know so many people who have colds. Both of my good friends who I often talk to on FaceTime (Larry and Pat), suffered through horrible colds. I used to kid them when I was talking to them "Don't pass that cold onto me!" Seems like everyone has to get their turn with these colds.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. poor ron; we need you well in 5 weeks time! :(

    your bedroom looks so inviting and cozy and homey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      It is! I worked a long time to get it "just right." I love it. I couldn't have better bedroom for me. I call it my "Goldielocks" bedroom; not too big, not too small…..just right. And so warm and cozy during these cold, wintery, windy days.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I take black elderberry syrup daily. Seems to lessen the severity of colds/coughs when and if they hit me.

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,
      Now that sounds good. I'll have to check into it. Thanks!
      Ron

      Delete
  4. I really hope you have a quick recovery. Colds should be taken very seriously. I remember an incident that happened when my family first moved to California. I was six years old. We knew a young Italian man named Johnny Mindiolli. He was eighteen, extremely handsome, and very kind and soft-spoken. One cold day in the winter he went to the beach with some friends. He contracted pneumonia and died within a week. His untimely death made a profound impression on me.

    By the way, your bed looks extremely similar to mine. I had the same bookcase headboard and the drawers underneath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      You understand. When my co-worker died from his walking pneumonia, that had a profound effect on me. Actually, it scared me to death because I have been as sick as he was and continued to go about my activities.
      So you have the same kind of bed? I think we have more in common than you thank Jon. Aside from our political views, which ironically I used to have your same political views before the Republicans (today's version) tried to screw me out of my earned benefits, we have the same outlook on life. One major difference though, I don't have your talents in music and writing. Wish I did but there it is. But I can tell you're a decent, caring guy. Others see that in you too, that's why you have such a loyal following. Stay warm and comfortable in that bed!
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron,
    rest, rest and more rest will ease the cold which runs it's own course. Stay warm.

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      Exactly! Rest, rest and more rest. The cold has to run it's course. I've learned that the hard way from past years when I used to go to work, no matter how bad my cold. All I succeeded in doing was delaying getting better, passing my germs around and I wasn't all that productive anyway. Lesson learned……the hard way.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. I am not saying a word lest I jinx myself.

    Though I hope you feel better soon!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      Don't say a word! Hope you get through this winter without a cold. Hard to do though when we have so much interaction with other people. But I don't wish a bad cold on anyone, even Republicans.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Ron,

    Holy smokes - you're under the knife again. And fighting off a cold to boot. I feel badly for you for the tribulations you seem to have to often enough put up with. But I think these two will pass quickly enough - and then back to your 100% self. Dozing off in a comfy solar heated bedroom makes me feel warm all over. Hope you can enjoy that part of it!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      Each year it gets a little harder to just stay healthy. Sometimes I feel like I"m hanging on with my fingertips.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Ron,

    Like you I was fairly illness free. Then in the late 1970s I got a new job and I seemed to have one cold or flu after another, which they actually told me would probably happen when the hired me as the Medical Center Budget Director. Apparently there are a lot of sick people in hospitals along with their germs. gee, who woulda thunk?

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      I think it's obvious now that as we get older, you and I being of the same age, our immune system just isn't what it used to be. I know I usually get my colds from work. When someone at the hotel has a cold, I get it. Mike had one last week. My brother John and his wife Barbara are always getting bad colds but then they're so involved with their church, spreading all those germs around (no pun intended).
      Ron

      Delete
  9. Anonymous9:18 PM

    Ron,

    It's always something. No wonder you're sick with the weather you've been experiencing this year. Everyone I know up north
    has a cold or just had a cold. If I feel a cold coming on I reach for my Advil Cold and Sinus tabs. They are great. To start take
    two and settle into that comfy warm bed. In an hour or so you will feel like a new person. No drowsiness just able to breathe again
    without a headache. Great tablets. You will truly forget you have a cold and it clears the mucus so it doesn't get down into the lungs
    and simply move to a chest cold. However, you will have to show valid ID to the pharmacist to purchase them. There is a limit on how
    many packs you can buy in a given amount of time. No aceteminiphen either ! Stay away from that stuff. Even small doses can be
    dangerous. It's in all kinds of cold meds and not good for you. Get well ole man! Chicken Noodle Soup to the rescue.
    Stuart in Fl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stuart,
      This cold virus is trying its darnest to take hold. So far I'm holding it at bay. The Cold EeZe tablets seem to help, although I hate the taste of them. They make me gag but it's worth it if I can hold off the worst of the cold. I would just love to get through one winter without going through the depths of yet another bad cold.
      Ron

      Delete
  10. there is nothing more inconvenient than an old queen with a head cold - or so the saying goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      "Old queen?" You talking to me?

      Ron

      Delete
    2. No, I am quoting Shakespeare. And you aren't that old.

      Delete
  11. Colds are not fun. Stay warm and get a lot of rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      Still fighting the cold. It hasn't taken hold….yet but it's not giving up. I am getting a lot of rest which seems to help.
      Ron

      Delete