Tuesday, February 25, 2014

My Facebook Friends


Some of my wonderful Facebook friends
In order from top, left to right:
Former school classmate
Blogger friend
Former co-worker
Rehoboth gay friend
Blogger friend
Genealogy (and gay) friend
Neighbors
Blogger friend
Family friends (cousin and wife) who aren't freaked out because I'm gay - they've met Bill


How many of you are on Facebook?  Oh I know it's au courant by some to denigrate Facebook and the whole "Friends" phenomena.  I'm not one of those folks. 

I originally joined Facebook to keep in touch with relatives, the children and grandchildren, of my cousins.  They don't know me but they know OF me.  I'm the family historian.  By having them as "Friends" on Facebook I had access to the latest photos of their families.  Many of these 2nd and 3rd generation cousins I've never met in person nor would I likely too in my lifetime.  Especially now that I came out publicly as a gay man.  I really sealed my social coffin with most of the members of my extended politically conservative family when I posted photos of my marriage to my Bill on my Facebook account.  Some unfriended me immediately lest I contaminate their Facebook page.  Some of the others who remain Facebook friends never deign to comment of Like any comments I make.  Maybe they're just too lazy to unfriend me.  

Several times I have considered closing my Facebook account entirely but I always came back to the thought "Why?"  So I continue to have my Facebook account.

Of course I have unfriended a few former friends, including family.  I will unfriend anyone who posts crazy Republican Right Wing racist rants against our president.  I don't need to read that trash.  I hear enough of it on TV as it is.  I've also unfriended more than a few of my fellow gay inhabitants of this so called "all inclusive" Camp Rehoboth.  I joined Camp Rehoboth but they studiously ignore my existence.  Never comments, never liking or even unliking (is that a word?) I comment on my Facebook page.  Camp Rehoboth is an all inclusive club all right, all inclusive for a privileged few.  

The Facebook friends that I do have are an eclectic  group of folks.  Some I've never met but know through my family genealogy research.  Some are former co-workers.  Others are a few genuine friends that I have made since moving to Delaware.  And one is a longtime friend from my grade school days. And last, but not least, more than a few are friends I've met through blogging.  

So while I may not post everyday to Facebook I am glad that I have another outlet for staying in contact with friends.  And I am appreciative.



I especially like the photos.  You know me and my photos.  I want a legacy after I'm long gone.  I never did get around to writing my autobiography.  Besides, if I did, who would read it?  So my autobiography is my blog and my Facebook page. When I'm long gone my orneriness will live on through my blog postings and Facebook photos.  

Isn't this new Digital Age wonderful?

18 comments:

  1. well, I am not on FB (and never will be), but I have my blogger friends. and that's cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      I understand that Facebook isn't for everyone. That's cool too!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,
    I use digital instruments sparingly. I am probably computer illiterate, I can just navigate the internet and as you can see, my Facebook page doesn't have much on it. It took me two years to figure out how to add photos, that was after I figured out how to get my photos into the computer. I have a cell phone that in think connects to the internet but I'm not sure, I have a Kindle Fire HD that I purchased when I was spending a lot of time in Florida to stay connected and to read. I didn't know about WI-FI so I let Best Buy talk me into purchasing a hot spot that connected the Kindle to the internet through Sprint. An extra $49.00 per month for 2 years but totally worthless as I found out that WI-FI was everywhere, even in my house. You stated yesterday that you were going to disconnect, I'm going to try to disconnect the hot spot with Sprint without paying the early disconnect fee. I have another year to go on it. We shall see. So yes the digital age is wonderful and without it I would never have been able to trace my family tree on Ancestry.com and read and comment on blogs, so being connected is a good thing, I just feel that I'm just on the fringe compared to you and others.
    See you in a couple of weeks.
    Jack

    PS Even my mother connected at age 100, she got a Kindle before I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      $49 a month for a Wifi hotspot? I'd get that disconnected. That's a lot of money. I was going to get a Kindle but buying the books are just as expensive as buying a real book. I would rather have the real book if the cost isn't any different. There is a lot I like about the Digital Age, especially meeting new friends but you do have to be careful of the some of the cost traps.
      Only a couple of weeks now Jack to the Bloggerpalooza!
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Anonymous12:33 PM

    Hi, Ron. Have you heard of those sort of do-it-yourself autobiographies, where you answer questions in a pre-printed book and end up with your own memoir? There are some on Amazon. If you ever change your mind about wanting to write your story down again, that might be a good way to get started. You could also supplement it with photographs. As far as who would ever read it, you might be able to have it added to the genealogy or local history section of the public library where you grew up or where your family is from (or perhaps even there in DE). A local university or college might also have such a collection you could contribute it to. I don't think Facebook or Blogger will maintain your pages in perpetuity once you are not logging on anymore, though I may be wrong.
    ~~~ NB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NB,
      No, I didn't know of the do-it-yourself autobiographies where I answer questions in a pre-printed book. I will definitely check into that! Thank you so much!
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Ron and NB,
      Actually as far as I know unless you actually take your FB page down, it stays up forever. A friend's son died about 3 years ago and his page is still up, people still post to his timeline (kind of creepy). I don't know about blogger but I imagine it might be the same.
      Jack

      Delete
    3. Jack,
      We have a guy down here who was killed by a drunk driver about two years ago. HIs Facebook page continued for quite a while after he died. I don't see it now on my timeline. Maybe someone from his family finally took it down. When I go I don't know who would take mine down. I guess I wouldn't care anyway, I wouldn't know the difference.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,

    I don't how long Facebook or Blogger would keep an account going once it becomes dormant when you become dormant. I know I run across some old blogs that haven't been updated in years. Ancestry.com will hold onto any genealogy stuff you put up because that's their business, to get and keep as much as they can for future customers. A lot of when we have written shows up on other sites and I think it'll float about cyberspace for a long time. If you do your autobiography (or even your journals), you can probably donate them to places like the local historic societies' libraries. These are historic documents, even if you aren't.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      I think Facebook and Blogger keep your account going on forever unless someone tells them to stop. It would be interesting to know what one has to do, provide a copy of a death certificate? Oh well, I don't care how long mine continues after my demise.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. I had a Facebook account two different times and both times were a disaster. They want far too much personal information. They kept demanding that I give a phone number. I finally gave my cell phone number and was repeatedly told that it was "invalid" - which isn't true. I've had the same number for eight years. Because of this they wouldn't let me access my account so I finally gave up.

    I initially joined Facebook to keep in touch with relatives & friends, but most of the things they posted were completely inane. After awhile I got weary of seeing photos of cute puppies and reading endless accounts of things such as my second cousin's adopted child's soccer practice.
    Facebook has some good aspects and a lot of bad ones. I've learned to live without it.

    I'm hesitant to try Twitter. It seems to be worse than Facebook. I guess I'm just not the twittering type.....(*sigh*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I like Facebook but of limited use. I have a Twitter account but only use it when I want to comment on something that is live on TV. Other than that, I don't use it. I thought I would use it more but I don't. Blogging is my thing.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. I of course have my several blogs and am on Facebook, but I have no desire for Twitter because I don't want people to be endlessly telling me what they or someone else have just done.

    What has me very concerned at the moment is Google+. It seems to be tied into everything such as our blogs, pictures (Picasa) and gmail (for those who email that way). I have my own website, so my email is private and tied into the website. No public email such as Gmail, Yahoo Mail, etc. because they are not private. Google+ is trying very hard to invade my privacy, and it seems like if I don't give them what they want, my Blogger blogs could be in jeopardy. I had ignored it until a relative invited me to join, and all of a sudden it wants to pull me into circles!!!???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I don't understand this Google "circle of friends" things. I just assume I'm out there all over the place and my privacy is kaput (that's German for "done") at this time. The toothpaste is out of the tube so to speak. I have a Twitter account but only use it when there is something live I want to comment on like the State of the Union speech. Otherwise, I don't tweet every move I make. I reveal more than I want to anyway in my blog. Can't help myself.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. I am more active on FB then on my blog. https://www.facebook.com/david.godfrey.739 On FB I have connected with family and people I grew up with. There are some people it is the best way for me to communicate with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Same here David. To me Facebook is just another form of communication with my friends and relatives. Not the sole source but a supplementary resource. I'm not in that crowd that constantly decries "Oh I need my privacy!" Hey folks, I hate to break it to you be no one has any privacy these days. And if you don't believe me, just do a Google search on your name. It's there folks, whether you like it or not. Get used to it. It ain't changing.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. most of my FB friends are relations; I enjoy keeping in touch with them
    I keep FB as there are a handful of old friends I have which FB has kept me in touch with them; I am grateful for this. I see this the point of FB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Dr. Spo, I enjoy keeping in touch with some of my relatives on Facebook. The ones who aren't freaked out because I'm an out gay man. And like you, I also have a handful of friends that Facebook is the only way I keep in touch with them. To me Facebook is just another helpful communications outlet. I too see the point of Facebook.
      Ron

      Delete