Tuesday, February 04, 2014

One More Month



Me at Wegmann's in Downingtown, PA 2013

Every year I dread the months of January and February.  Those months are the "just get through it months" for me.  Unlike many of my gay peers, I'm not rich and thus cannot afford to winter in the warmer climes of Florida.  

Doesn't it seem like January and February come around real fast and linger, and linger?  

Thank goodness I live in southern Delaware.  The winters aren't as severe as when we lived in southeastern Pennsylvania, which is in a different temperate zone.  However, this year we've had two winter snowstorms.  Not as fierce as other parts of the country but bad enough.  

I'm no fan of the snow.  Maybe when I was a kid and hoping for some time off from school but as an adult?  No way.  Snow was always a danger and major inconvenience.
  
The view from my living room window of snowbirds feeding on our crepe myrtle seeds (I'm glad I didn't trim that tree!)


We're in February now.  A very short month.  The crocus will be pushing through the cold earth in a few weeks.  Then the daffodils which are the harbinger of Spring for sure.  

The days are getting longer.  My mood is lifting.  Soon the sun will be with us again and our skin, my old skin, will feel the warmth of the sun.  Soon.


Me at our former Pennsylvania property last year

14 comments:

  1. I have some ex-family who live in Michigan. Come February, they cannot wait for spring to be here. I feel your pain Ron as I hate snow and cold weather myself. But in SoCal, when it gets down to 50 F, we are shivering. Very weird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      At least we're not getting as much snow as those north of us but we have gotten a lot more this year than is normal for this area. One more month and then back to the great weather and the crowds.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. and in 1 week (2/13) baseball season starts!

    and on 3/13 it's BLOGGER MEETUP TIME!

    it cannot come fast enough; jan and feb have been nothing but big balls of suck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      Won't be long now. Only a month and a half. That will fly by and the next thing you know we'll be doing the countdown to next year's Bloggerpalooza!
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Trade you the snow for our rain!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a deal Jay!

      Ron

      Delete
  4. alas the winter will last into april this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Maybe if we're lucky, we'll have some snow for you at the Bloggerpalooza. I'm looking forward to a snowball fight with my fellow bloggers.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron,

    Don't want to snow on your sunbeam, but March can bring some pretty bad snowstorms. I'd keep the cozies close for a bit longer. I'd preferred snow this morning. I walked out and my driveway was a solid sheet of ice from the freezing rain.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry,
      Maybe up where you live in the NORTH but not here in the SOUTH. There is a big difference between Newcastle County (where you live) and Sussex County (where I live). I'll be basking in the Spring sunshine and smelling the hyacinths while you're still shoveling your driveway.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Well Ron - I'd love to show you and readers a photo of what it's like up here in Toronto right now. Wow what a winter. The north pole must be running out of the white stuff which has all come south. Already cleared the walk 3 times and I still can't keep up with it. Pretty tho.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I won't be sad when this winter passes.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Right now, on the boat, it's 20 degrees, with the forecast low temp to reach 16 degrees. NWS is predicting Snow from tomorrow (Thurs.) through Saturday, and "Wintry Mix" for Sunday. It's been the coldest Winter for me here in the greater Portland Oregon area since I came here in 2005, and the first time since it has snowed twice in the Willamette Valley. There is ZERO snow clearing equipment on the "wet side" (West of the Cascade Range), since we "usually" get only one "dusting" a year, and it's melted off the next day.

    The "Polar Vortex" has finally reached the West Coast.

    ............... "FOGGY" :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Foggy,
    We're lucking out here. No snow for the past week but perhaps this weekend. My friend in Toronto Canada is getting snow EVERY day. God bless him. Sweeping his sidewalk off five and six times a day.
    You said "on the boat". Do you live on a boat? So cool!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete