Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Stairway to Heaven - Shirley Temple



 When I told Bill this morning that Shirley Temple died, the first thing he said "She was the same age as I am."

Shirley Temple was a little before my time.  Of course I've seen her movies on TV but I didn't grow up with her like Bill did. 


Bill Kelly, 5 years old (1933)

Shirley Temple, 5 years old (1933)

Thus another part of the mosaic of our life is gone forever. All that remains is the memory.

This morning, when I awoke, my bedroom was awash in sunshine.  Although the temperature outside my bedroom is a frigid 25 degrees and yet another winter snowstorm is forecast for tomorrow, I am again reminded of how fortunate I am to have another day on this earth.  Another day to live, love and be happy.  Even those times of sadness and frustration, we're still living which is so much better than the infinite void of nothingness that is death. I mean no disrespect to those who believe the fairy tales of an afterlife but I believe that once you're gone from this earthly plane, you're done.  Finished.  It is over friends. So today, tell someone you love them.  Do something kind for someone else.  Do not be discouraged by the evil that is around us, bring your goodness out and share with others.  But folks, if there is a Heaven, then surely this lady whose name was Shirley Temple is ascending those stairs as you read my humble tribute to this lady who brought so much happiness to so many.  God rest your soul Shirley Temple.

"Stairway To Heaven"


There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven.
When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for.
Ooh, ooh, and she's buying a stairway to heaven.

There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure
'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.
In a tree by the brook, there's a songbird who sings,
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven.

Ooh, it makes me wonder,
Ooh, it makes me wonder.

There's a feeling I get when I look to the west,
And my spirit is crying for leaving.
In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees,
And the voices of those who stand looking.

Ooh, it makes me wonder,
Ooh, it really makes me wonder.

And it's whispered that soon, if we all call the tune,
Then the piper will lead us to reason.
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long,
And the forests will echo with laughter.

If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now,
It's just a spring clean for the May queen.
Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on.
And it makes me wonder.

Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know,
The piper's calling you to join him,
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind?

And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our soul.
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold.
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last.
When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll.

And she's buying a stairway to heaven.



11 comments:

  1. "Stairway to Heaven" has always been one of my favorite songs. It evokes a lot of memories.
    My mother was a big Shirley Temple fan - - undoubtedly because they were approximately the same age. Mom always wanted a Shirley Temple doll when she was a child but her family was too poor to buy one - - so one time I bought an antique S.T. doll and gave it to Mom for her birthday.
    When I lived in California, I wrote an article about Shirley Temple for the "Hollywood Reporter". She sent me an autographed photo, which I still have.

    I always feel a real sense of sadness when the old legends die. It's the end of a rapidly fading era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Same here! "Stairway to Heaven" has also been one of my favorite songs. I especially like this You Tube presentation. I also feel a sense of sadness when the old legends die. You're right, it is the end of a rapidly fading era. Soon it will be me. I'm not sad about that but I am sad about the era dying. When I die I won't know anything so it doesn't matter but while I'm still alive, it hurts.

      Have a great day Jon!

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron

    If this is all there is - I am blessed. I certainly don't "know" what comes after - either it be a blank or some other form of consciousness. Where does consciousness come from anyway. But I, too, feel sad when those who have brought so much happiness into my life leave the planet. The last one for me was Phil Everly. I will always cherish the Everly's beautiful harmonious singing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I'm pretty sure when we're dead we don't know we're dead. Just a great big void like when we go to sleep and don't dream. I can understand people who want the comfort of "faith" and "belief" while they are alive, it gives them either an answer to why they are here or provides them an excuse to not and try and understand why there are here. To me, whatever works for you is fine with me as long as you don't try to force your beliefs on me.
      These days I'm feeling more sad than ever with so many of my era passing on. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to be the last man standing when the music stops.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Anonymous7:55 PM

    I remember watching all of her movies as a very young child, I think my Mom tried hard to make my hair look like hers. Was sad to read of her passing this morning and happy my Mom who is three years older is still here and doing great. Great tribute, one of my favorite songs!

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      I only ever saw her movies on TV. I wasn't a big fan of her movies but I always thought she was genuine and not one of those typical phony child actors who grew up screwed up. She was a true lady.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. I studied Shirley Temple movies in college. They were captivating. As a grown woman, she was a true lady. I loved her movies, I loved her as a person. I think we have lost a true icon of America.

    And Led Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands, and Stairway to Heaven is one of my top 10 songs of all times!

    GREAT POST!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      I agree with you, Shirley Temple was a true lady. I too respected her as person. I felt she was genuine. Nothing phony about her at all. I think that genuineness came through in her movies and the way she conducted herself during her lifetime. And yes, I always liked Stairway to Heaven.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. My first emotional reaction to the news was thinking gee I thought she had died already, which isn't nice but it was what I felt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Well, don't be surprised when I bite the dust. I've warned you often enough (I think). :)

      Ron

      Delete
    2. 2/15 is Ragnorak - prepare to go to Vahalla.

      Delete