Friday, February 14, 2014

Scams



I awoke this morning to find this "billing" message in my In Box this morning.  "Energy Billing Service"?  Really?  I have a company called "Energy Billing Service"?  And I owe……..WHAT?  $524.30?  Oh man, I better click on that link and see WTF they're talking about.  Oh wait.  Maybe I better check out Snopes first to see if this is a scam.  Well, guess what folks, it IS A SCAM.



Folks, hardly a day goes by that I don't receive some kind of "official" looking message in my e-mail telling me one of two things:

YOU HAVE WON!

YOUR BILL IS DUE!

However, there is always a catch to these crooks.  With eh "YOU HAVE WON!", you always have to SEND money to get "your" money.  Which, by the way, some stranger is GIVING to you.  Yep, just out of the blue, they're GIVING IT TO YOU. All you have to do is send them money to cover "the costs."  We all know how that works don't we folks?  If the grammar is bad, that scam is probably from Nigeria.  The other scammers are from Eastern Europe, usually one of the former Soviet Union counties.  Evil abounds in this world folks.  Always nipping around our heels.  

The other scam is the "YOUR BILL IS DUE."  The catch to this scam is that you have to click a link at which time bot descends on your computer, usually malware (or worse).  The crooks haven't figured out yet a way around those two catches; either you have to send money or you have to click a link.  I think most of us are sophisticated enough these days to know when someone is trying to rob us.

You know, on this Valentine's Day, this day of love, it saddens me to know that there is such evil in the world. Whether the evil be that of a New Jersey governor who puts his state's residents in harm's way to further his own political agenda or those insidious techies out there in the cyberworld who are constantly working to steal from you or destroy your computer just for the fun of it.  

Good and bad in this world folks.  Always was, always is and always will be.  One has to be constantly on guard.  There are those out there who have no compunction about taking from you to enrich their own lives, no matter how destructive they are to your life.  

Be safe folks and have a happy love Valentine's Day!

12 comments:

  1. I received an email from PG&E asking me to pay a $ 575.00 bill. We have Edison so I knew it was a scam. I blocked the sender.
    What I generally do is check the email address. If it is a bunch of letters and numbers, I just block it without opening it. Saves me a headache. Happy Valentine's day to you, Bill and your followers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      The scammers never give up. Even before the Digital Age, they were always out there trying to sell us snake oil. We have to be constantly vigilant. I wonder what happens when we get too old to know the difference. Maybe that's what they're counting on.
      Ron
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11:02 AM

    Happy Valentine's Day Ron!!! Hope you have lots of love surrounding you today!!
    Your friend,
    James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do James, I do!

      Ron

      Delete
  3. At least you are smart enough not to act on this crap. The real problem is that many older folks are not as savvy as you are, and get taken for lots and lots of money by these crooks.

    I really do love my gmail account. I get almost no spam into my inbox, whether it's phishing, advance fee scams, or just plain unwanted advertising email from someone I've never heard of. Almost ZERO false positives (id'ing an email as spam when it isn't), and maybe one missed spam every few months. That's good filtering. You can say what you want about Google, but they got gmail right!

    Happy Valentines Day to you and Bill!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      That's what I was thinking, I'm sure many of these scam e-mails scoop up quite a few older folks. I think they also snag younger folks too. I also have a gmail account which I love. It does filter better.

      Happy Valentine's Day to you too Jay.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. SMOOCHES to you and bill on v-day!

    thank bob I am tech savvy enough not to answer this crap; and todd knows enough to ask me if he's not sure. thieves and creeps are everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      The thieves abound. They are all around us. One has to be constantly on guard. It's a shame but that's the way of life since the beginning of time.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Happy Valentine's Day my darling man!
    I am thrilled to think in that capacious heart of yours there is a little corner where I reside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      You know you are!

      Ron

      Delete
  6. I get these email scams constantly, sometimes several a day. Most of them are from Nigeria or Europe and usually I'm the recipient of millions of dollars. Sometimes I get letters saying that my AOL account or Paypal account will be suspended if I don't click on a link.

    I'm sure everybody already knows this, but - - whatever you do, DON'T CLICK ON ANY UNFAMILIAR LINKS.

    I hope your Valentine's Day was filled with everything sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I get a lot of these too. At least a half a dozen a week. And I have a spam filter that I never check. They must be getting some kind of response or else they would keep sending them out. Last week I got one from an Army Captain in Irag who was bringing home a "chest." Well, that's a new one. Usually it's a Nigerian prince who is absconding with 24 mil and needs a couple hundred from me to pay "duties" before he can bring his loot into this country. I never, but NEVER click on ANY links. I go directly to the website, if there is one.

      I hope your Valentine's Day was good too.

      Ron

      Delete