Sunday, February 02, 2014

Random Thoughts on a Super Bowl Sunday

Okay folks, this is one of those blog postings that doesn't have one subject but just me rambling, clearing thoughts out of my head.


A photo I took from the 1958 Thanksgiving Day football game between my high school and our biggest rival.  Back in this day I was too shy to ask anyone to take a photo of me so I took a photo of my fellow bandmates.  Yes, I was in the marching band - Sousaphone (look it up).

No, I'm not watching the Super Bowl.  However, if I can time it right I would like to see and hear Renee Fleming sing at the half time show.  But as far as the game goes, COULD.NOT.CARE.LESS.
I used to watch football religiously on TV until I realized that the "football games" were actually one continue commercial interrupted occasionally for a few downs of football. Ever wonder why soccer never caught on in the U.S.?  Not enough time outs for the commercials.  When the soccer players play their game, they're actually playing instead of standing around after yet another time out, patting each other on the ass and discussing the next 4 second play with the sideline coaches.  No thanks folks, I caught onto the NFL scam years ago.  And no, big lugs in skin tight football pants doesn't do anything for me.

Whatever
Abrupt change of subject!  I'm just about to make a decision about dropping my $59.99 a month land line phone.  I bought a Magic Jack phone at Walmart this morning to replace it but once I got home I thought "What am I doing? 95% of my calls will still be from marketers like Credit Card Service."  I have a wonder iPhone which is never more than six inches (don't go there) from me (in my side pocket).  My only regret should I get rid of my landline is that I have a easy to remember phone number.  I'll make my decision tomorrow but I'm really leaning towards make the break for good.  Hard for this old bird to change a life long habit.  



Another abrupt change of subject. I got the stitches out of the slices of flesh that were taken from me by dermatologist last week.  The good news is that both biopsies came out clean. Thank God, my dermatologist did drop the word "melanoma" because of the uneven borders of the growths on my skin next to my ear and on my knee. The bad news is that I when my stitches were removed they hurt like Hell.  I've had them removed before with no problem but this time the (new?) guy picked and poked at the stitches.  The patch of skin that was sliced next to my right knee is still inflamed and icky looking.  I may have to call their office tomorrow about that.  It should have been on the healing mode by now, based on my past experiences.  Always something isn't it.  I think I even have a slight fever.  Great.  This is all I need.


A couple of weeks ago, someone who I didn't even know posted a comment on Facebook that I and some other person who I don't know should take the lead in helping some of the members of our community (LGBT) with their medical appointments, shopping and such.  Hey folks, I have my hands full just taking care of myself and my 85 year old spouse.  Nothing like a major guilt trip posted on my Facebook account for all to see.  Here's my feelings on that move, we have an organization down here in Gayberry that purports to be for the "community" but they seem to be all about fund raising and not so much about helping members of the community, or at least what I can see from my vantage point.  Their "community" activity seems to be occasionally organizing a group of volunteers to clean up the yards of one of the low income (and drug infested) sections of Gayberry.  You know folks, I wasn't going to mention this little action (publicly suggesting) by folks who I don't know, but I had to get this off of my chest. No names but they know who they are. Mother Teresa I'm not. 

  
My car is major gunked up from all this snow, salt, slush and road spray.  Last night I went to the car wash, it was packed.  I had a hard time circling even to get out of there.  This morning I went early, confident in the knowledge that my slothful Milton neighbors would not be at the car wash at 8 am.  They weren't but none of the car wash bays were working.  Figures.  As I was leaving I told the mouth breathing car wash attendant "None of the bays are working."  He looked at me like I just stepped off a space ship.  I repeated my declaration.  I think the second time my statement sunk in because he turned to look at one of the bays.  I wheeled myself out of there and drove down to Walmart. A Walmart visit always lifts my spirits after early morning frustrations. 










9 comments:

  1. ain't no game watching here; the car washes are mobbed up this way too; spouse's car passed inspection; we are expecting 4-8 inches (of snow) tomorrow - thanks, groundhog! thank bob your readings were benign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      Beautiful day here today! Hard to believe it's going to snow AGAIN! Come on spring!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. I'd like to see Ms. Fleming, but beyond that, ptui.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      I'm not sitting in front of the TV watching but I have it on as background. I loved the Bronco's cowgirl riding the white stallion in the opening. I love me a spectacle.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Hey Ron, as I understand it, Renee is going to sing the National Anthem at the beginning of the SB, not at halftime. If you wait until halftime, I think you will have missed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I just happened to catch the opening and realized that Renee was singing the national anthem. I got lucky! I have the game on now in the background and Seattle is trouncing the Broncos. Surprisingly good weather for the Super Bowl. Who would've thunk for a Super Bowl held in the great Northeast?
      Ron
      Ron

      Delete
  4. After a week in the deep freeze, the temperature is 70 degrees, the sun is shining, and all is right with the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I actually washed my car in my driveway today! Just a few days ago the temperature was below zero! Today it reached 65 degrees.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron,
    Dump the land line. I did it last October and peace was restored to my abode. I had completed the process of changing all friends, family and business, mainly doctor's to my cell phone number and kept the land line for a couple of months. I screened all of the calls that came through and not one was anything more than a "vote for" or "you have won" type of calls. I saved thirty dollars per month. That pays for my Medicare part D insurance.
    Be sure to check with your doctor if that spot is still inflamed. I had two spots out of seven that got infected and when they did it happened really fast. Not something to fool around with.
    Time is flying, not long for Bloggerpalozza and Spring.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete