Friday, March 15, 2013

Thank You Senator Portman



Senator Rob Portman (R-Ohio) Family

Senator Rob Portman, Republican of Ohio, came out today in support of family values by supporting marriage equality.  Thank you Senator Portman.

Senator Portman is the first sitting Republican senator to support marriage equality, also known as same sex marriage or gay marriage.  Could this be the start of the crumbling of the 100% Republican opposition of marriage equality?  Just as Samson crumbled the twin pillars of hate in ancient times, the coming out of every gay man and woman will destroy the twin pillars of modern times.

Of course I think the fact that his son, Will Portman, came out as gay to his dad two years ago had a lot to do with Senator Portman's decision to support marriage equality for all of our citizens.  


Every gay man and woman has its own unique journey in coming out to their family.  Some are easy and accepting and some are not so easy (my experience). After I came out to my family my father never mentioned it the rest of his life.  I didn't push it but I didn't hide either.  I just lived my life.  My Mother grudgingly accepted the fact that I was gay but I think to her dying day she still felt she did something wrong in raising me.  

I have a new found respect for Senator Portman, who today displayed great political courage in putting his family first and politics second. 

Will Portman and his dad Rob Portman

I wish I had a picture of me and my father like this.  I am glad that Senator Portman's son has his dad's support.

I think I now know why Senator Portman wasn't selected as Mitt Romney's vice presidential running mate.  Really?  Oh yes, no way was Romney going to run with a running mate who had a gay son.  Just saying.

All around me folks, I see the foes of equal rights for gays and lesbians lose their argument for "family values" as more and more members of their very families are gay.  Who would've thunk?

Brava Senator Portman for endorsing real family values.






10 comments:

  1. I agree 100%!!!! Want to see how the right wingnuts are responding? This is too damn pathetic: http://traditionalvalues.org/content/home/36644/a_painful_admission

    What a true bitch. I note on this one post, there are no comments allowed.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      I knew some on the right would be up in arms. They're fighting a losing battle. Their hate will eventually end up in the dustbin of history.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Portman said he even asked asked Dick Cheney who has an out lesbian daughter. And EVEN Dick Cheney said "Listen to your heart."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,

      I never thought I would agree with Dick "War Criminal" Cheney on anything but on this subject I do. Did I just say I agreed with Cheney?

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Anonymous7:41 AM

    Ron, I saw an interview of the senator. Basically he said his son told him he knew he was gay from his early childhood years, and he didn't have any choice in it. Maybe more people now are understanding this is just a matter of inherited biology and it has nothing to do with moral values.
    Lynne







    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne,

      You're absolutely right, being gay has nothing to do with moral values. It is a matter of inherited biology. Now, how one conducts their life, gay or straight, is a mater of moral values. That is another whole area that has nothing to do with the sexual preference that is set at birth.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. I just think reality came knocking at senator Portman's door. What I find interesting is that so many republicans are hardcore christians. They have their own sets of beliefs (political ideologies) and then there is reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      What I find interesting is that these hardcore Republicans constantly espouse "family values" but yet do not want two people who love each other to enter into a committed relationship. Seems to be a dichotomy at work here.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. While I wish he didn't "come out" for marriage equality just because he has a gay son--I kinda wished he'd come out because it's the right thing to do--I applaud him for taking the stance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      I too wish Senator Portman would have come out because it was the right thing to do also but I'll take whatever I can get. I firmly believe what Harvey Milk said all those many years ago, (I'm paraphrasing here) "The only way homophobia will end is when every gay man and woman comes out and this country realizes that gay people are just like them."

      Ron

      Delete