Friday, March 08, 2013

Pursuit of Happyness

New hat that I just bought this morning for the Blooger-Thon (red wasn't available)

What makes you happy?

This morning I was reading an article in the latest issue of AARP entitled "Give Yourself a Happiness Makeover."

Here are the ten points they made in the article:


  1. Nestle in the Right Neighborhood.  Yep!  Done that.  I'm in the perfect neighborhood for me.
  2. Stop Shopping; Start Saving. - I used to be a shopaholic.  No more, now I save and I'm telling you, it feels soooo much better knowing that I have the security of a nest egg for emergencies or that special spurge.
  3. Make the Most of Your Morning. - Always do! I eat breakfast every morning and exercise.  Always get my day started off right.
  4. Trim Your TV Time - no couch potato here.  If I do have the TV on I'm usually doing something else at the same time, using the TV (almost always MSNBC - the "progressive" channel) as background wallpaper.
  5. Get a Daily Dose of Friends - that I do from neighbors, co-workers and blogger friends.  
  6. Find Your Soul Mate - DONE!  That would be My Bill.
  7. Meet, Pray, Love - I'm not too big on the praying but I am on the meeting and loving.  I am a lover.
  8. Create a Sunny Sanctuary - that would be my bedroom; my absolute favorite room in the house and where I often go to clear out my mind and veg out.
  9. Gain Peace With a Pooch - not happening now but will happen if I am ever alone again.  Horace, my pet Pomeranian dog was my best friend for 16 years.  He's been gone for some time now but I will get a new "Horace" sometime in the future.  That is if I outlive Bill.  He won't have anymore pets because he can't stand the loss.
  10. Ignite Your Passion for Compassion. - always.  

I have one more suggestion for happiness.  Just do something silly that makes you feel good and don't worry about what anyone else thinks of you.  You know, that Inner Child.  Don't suppress him (or her).  




30 comments:

  1. LOVE THE HAT! you will be VERY easy to spot amongst all of us!

    I have not read that AARP article yet; been meaning to get to it. I read at night before bed.

    I will exchange a "pooch" for a "kitty" or two! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      I thought of you immediately when I saw that hat this morning at WalMart. That's why I bought it and that hat will make an appearance at the Spo-a-thon!

      Ron

      Delete
    2. flattery will get you nowhere! ;-)

      Delete
    3. Anne Marie,

      Ah rats! I thought that hat would be my ticket to paradise with you. :)

      Ron

      Delete
    4. I'm not your type (wink wink nudge nudge)!

      nor would I want to upset bill!

      Delete
    5. Uh huh. No, you wouldn't want to upset Bill.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. What beautiful flowers! I've been in the West Texas wastelands for so long that I've forgotten what color and greenery looks like.

    As for happiness......hmmmm......
    I'm definitely in the wrong neighborhood. Most of my neighbors are illegals and druggies.
    Most of my friends are far from Texas.
    Mornings don't exist for me. I'm never fully awake until after dark.
    Every place in Texas is a sunny sanctuary. I'm always looking for shade.
    I don't have a pooch, but I've got cats aplenty.

    Happiness?? Being young at heart and maintaining a sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      I meant to amend one of those "happiness" items to a cat. I love cats and look forward to the day when I will have one (or two, or three). And you are absolutely right, "being young at heart (thus the pink sequined hat I'm wearing) and a sense of humor (same sequined hat).

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Ron. I needed this post today. Love the glads in the photo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iberostar,

      Thanks! Those are my very own home grown glads. Every year they come up in a profusion of happy color.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Anonymous5:03 PM

    Guess who?!?

    I'm still lurking and checking in every so often.
    That hat makes me think of the song, "I'm too sexy..."
    Ha Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,

      I have no idea of who you are. I just hope you're not one of those trolls. :)

      Ron

      Delete
    2. Anonymous6:04 PM

      NO! I'm not one of those trolls, you wise-guy.

      Mrs. and I will check in with you in a few weeks to see how all things medical are going.

      SR

      Delete
    3. Anonymous,

      Glad you're not a troll. Next week I undergo (endure) my first procedure. Then in April I do the biggie.
      Hopefully after that Bill and I can take our annual trip South.

      Ron

      Delete
    4. Anonymous9:52 PM

      Ron you silly person, it's Sean!

      I've nuked a bunch of social networking and Facebook for a time, but I'm still checking in every so often. Your writing is way too entertaining for me to give up totally.

      I'll return online in some other form eventually.

      Cheers!

      Delete
    5. Sean,

      I'm surprised. I thought someone was trolling me. We'll miss you at the Spo-a-thon.

      Ron

      Delete
    6. Anonymous11:40 PM

      No trolls.
      Just crazy, dysfunctional me.
      It's nice to be missed. ;-)

      SR

      Delete
    7. "Anonymous",

      We'll be thinking of you at the Bloggerthon, especially Anne Marie and Spo.

      Ron

      Delete
    8. damn str8 (or gay)! :)

      Delete
  5. Wonder ideas! (Wonder where my AARP magazine is, dang it!)
    Love the hat. Looks like I can leave the tie at home for the spo-a-thon. I was hoping for a casual environment. Cute puppy, nice flowers!
    Cool post.
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      No tie necessary for the Spo-a-thon. A festive hat might be fun. I have a couple for Dr. Spo to choose from. He's big into horns I understand. Definitely a casual environment. This morning we finalized the details. Cocktails 5 to 6 then dinner from 6 to 8. Presentations and speeches after dinner.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. Excellent! I like cock and tail! And dinner! But speeches? Who's making speeches?

      Hmmmm, a festive hat? I'll have to think on that a bit.

      Jay

      Delete
    3. Everyone Jay, everyone gets a turn. :)

      Ron

      Delete
    4. No, say it isn't so! I can't afford to hire a speechwriter!

      David

      Delete
    5. David,

      Maybe you'll change your mind after a few drinks. Hmmmmm?

      Ron

      Delete
  6. Having a meaningful life is the most important. I love your attitude Ron (that is why I read your blog) and I love this post, the photos. I really wish I could go to the Spo-thingy. I would love to meet your friends and particularly Anne-Marie and her husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      I would LOVE to meet you in person. I've already met Anne Marie in person and she is a very happy woman. This morning I finalized the details for the Spo-a-thon. Just sent out the e-mails to the 23 who will be attending. It really is going to be a fun event. Photos and videos will be taken but what happens in Lewes stays in Lewes.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. thank you for the compliment, nadege; and thank you for choosing to follow my spouse's blog too! :)

      wish you had a blog; we could all follow along and have one big family!

      Delete
    3. I agree with you Anne Marie! I'm looking forward to Nadege's blog.

      Ron

      Delete