Saturday, March 02, 2013

Blogger Rama and Other Ramblings

Who will be the lucky "Cinderella" at the Blogger Rama who will slip their footsies in these ruby reds?


Hey folks, the "Blogger Rama" or "Spo-a-Thon" is coming along quite nicely.  I'm just about finished with the playlist that I created in iTunes and transferred to my iPod to play at the Blogger Rama on March 23rd.  Check out "Hit and Run" by the Sal Soul Orchestra.  It just doesn't get any better than this folks. Click on the picture below for the great disco sounds of the Salsoul Orchestra.

See those Ruby Slippers (or the best I could do at the local gay thrift store)? They will make an appearance with beads for everyone! Anne Marie of Philly promises to bring her tiara. Anyone else needs tiara's now is the time to put your order in but I suspect Anne Marie is going to be the Queen of the Night. She dances too!


Anne Marie of Philly....er Good Witch Glinda
Bill thinks I'm being silly gathering all these campy items for the Blogger Rama. Know what I say, if you can't let down your hair (or what's left of it), why live?  I've never succumbed to the Old Fart status and I'm not about to now.  

Listening to the music that I'm putting on my iPod brings back fond memories of my wonderful years of the Seventies and the Eighties.  I've been very lucky that I was born when I was. My gay life came into full bloom just about the time of the Stonewall Riots (1969) and petered out (no pun intended) in 1980, just about the time AIDS was taking hold and putting a damper on the whole freedom and sexual revolution thing.  



1980 was the year I moved out of center city Philly and to our county estate in Chester County, Pennsylvania.  Bill and I lived on our 6.875 acres of wooded paradise for twenty-five years until we moved to Delaware.  To be quite frank with all of you, I moved to Delaware because this is where I plan to die.  Our Pennsylvania property was too big for me to take care plus we were living right in the middle of a sea of straights.  We (I) couldn't afford to pay the property taxes to keep their kids in school and pay their teachers.  That is the main reason I insisted we move to Delaware.  Bill didn't want to move and he reminds me almost daily that he misses our home in Pennsylvania.  


Ken and Ceida, good neighbors in PA

Now here's a good example of why I moved to Delaware, the Blogger Rama that will take place here in Lewes March 23rd.  Think I could do something like that in Straight Land PA?  Not likely.  We were barely tolerated when we lived in Pennsylvania.  We had a couple of neighbors who were nice to us but most of our neighbors kept us at arm's length, lest The Gay rubbed off on them or their children.  In fact we even had one neighbor tell us so directly to our face to stay away from them because we made then "feel uncomfortable", which made us feel like less than human.  Nothing like being discounted (again) as a human being.  That doesn't happen down here where we live in Delaware.  At least it doesn't happen here on the East coast of Sussex County.  Go inland a bit and encounter the Sussex County natives (who are actually southerners) and the old homophobe attitude hits you right in the face.  After all this is the county where former representative Mike Castle (R) was assaulted with this question at a town meeting by a local ignoramus "What are you going to do to get OUR country back to us?"  She was referring to the fact that Barrack Obama ("that Muslim") was president.  Yes sir folks, we have our very own teabaggers not to far away from our gay enclave here on the coast enclave of Rehoboth Beach/Lewes/Milton Delaware.  One good thing I'll say about living in Delaware, we can have differing political views than our neighbors but they still respect us as equal citizens.  Not so much in Pennsylvania.  I'm not surprised that Pennsylvania is tried to suppress the vote in the last presidential election, just like a southern state. Don't hold your breath for Pennsylvania to pass a marriage equality law in our lifetime.


Jack and Judy - good neighbors in Delaware

So in a couple of week a group of fellow bloggers, mostly gay, will father for a GOOD time, minus the hostile, homophobic attitudes of some of our fellow citizens.  One thing I can say about Delaware, we have a lot more straight friends who do not discount us as human beings and understand we are just like they are, the only difference is who we love. 


Barb, Bob and Rich - our EXCELLENT neighbors where we live now

That's why I moved to Delaware.


Who says our neighbors don't love us?  Bill and his "girlfriend", our neighbor Barbara

27 comments:

  1. Randy in NEB.9:53 PM

    Ron, Can you sent me some of that coastal Delaware tolerance to RED state USA Nebraska? Omaha which is about 1.5 hours away from me is starting to come into the 21st century. As always a pleasure. Randy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,

      You wouldn't think Pennsylvania would be as RED as it is either would you? Actually, the only reason Pennsylvania goes Democratic in the presidential elections is because of Philadelphia on the eastern end of the state (that's why I moved to Philadelphia as soon as I got out of the Army) and Pittsburgh on the western end of the state. In between Pennsylvania is all RED. That's why they're trying to suppress the vote in Pennsylvania, so the whole state will vote RED in the next presidential election. I'm glad I'm out of there. Delaware has three counties. Two are Democratic and the third, Sussex where we live, is Republican expect for this narrow strip on the east coast where all us gays (mostly lesbians) live. We manage. It's a lot more gay friendly down here even though technically we're a southern state than it was when we lived in Pennsylvania. The only reason I could tolerate Pennsylvania when all the years we lived in Philadelphia, which was very gay friendly. I came out in Pittsburgh. But once I moved back to my small town of Downingtown, all the homophobia came right back. I don't think they're ever change in my lifetime. Always good to hear from you Randy.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. well said, ron. you and i are similar in that we are loudmouths. ha! that is a good thing, but it can also get us in trouble, so it is wise that you recognize the difference between taking a risk and being reckless with your saftey. the country will catch up--it already is! but you didn't need to lead the charge by staying where you did not feel welcome. let them stew in their own fear. you are better off than they are by a long shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm the loudmouth Tony, much to Bill's chagrin. One time in PA we had four neighbor kids standing on our border hollering "Fags get out!" Bill told me to ignore them. No way. I called the cops and an officer came over. Naturally he was gorgeous. I told him what was happening (the kids ran away when they saw him). The cop went to the house but my neighbors wouldn't answer the door. However at the end of the week we did get letter from the kids apologizing to us. We never had another incidence of that but we never had any relations with our neighbors either. I think they were concerned about their kids, like we were going to recruit them or something. There was no was I could retired in that atmosphere. We have our share of homophobia here in Delaware too but here on the East coast I think we outnumber the straights. So far no problem unless we go inland. Then we have to still be careful, redneck country.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. a great story! gays, for so long, had to remain quiet, like every other oppressed population in this country. we are so loud now that the right is shitting their pants, as they should.

      btw, i love the song! i only wish the spo-polooza were closer so i could attend! maybe you will need to take it on a national tour...

      Delete
    3. Tony,

      I've lost count of the number of folks I've pissed off, frustrated, puzzled and just made angry because I have refused to play the role of the Apologetic Gay Man. I just don't do it. Even Bill, my Mother, brothers, former classmates and friends have advised me to "don't tell anyone you're gay" but I refuse. I've had a couple of violent close calls but so far I've been lucky with living my life as an openly gay man. By that I don't mean I'm prancing and mincing around in drag but I just don't deny who I am when the subject comes up. The reactions have been most interesting when I tell someone I'm gay. They range from "You don't sound gay" to "I would have never guessed you were gay because you don't LOOK gay." I love it! I lived repressed for three years when I was in the Army. I had to or else I would have been kicked out with an undesirable discharge. I had no choice then, after I got out I had a choice and I choose to live as a free and honest man. I have never regretted my decision.

      Ron

      Delete
    4. tony tony tony! I have decided that YOU are my newest boyfriend; welcome to the party! I am following you and will catch up on this year's posts. what caught my eye? the 'atheist' posts, as I am one also (formerly catholic - oy!).

      YAYZ for new boyfriends! :)

      Delete
    5. Anne Marie, meet Tony. Tony, meet Anne Marie. I thought you two knew each other already. This is what is great about blogging, meeting new friends!

      Delete
  3. I'll gladly wear the ruby slippers AND a tiara if the Good Witch can get me the hell out of Texas.

    I couldn't imagine what it would be like to have good neighbors. My neighbors have two dozen people living in one house, sell drugs, and party until dawn. That's the normal way of life here in the Big Taco.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      "The Big Taco", I love it! All of my neighbors here in Delaware are good neighbors. Some are more private than others but I have never gotten a sense from any of them of marginalizing or discounting us like we did with some of our neighbors in Pennsylvania. We can breath down here in Delaware unlike Pennsylvania where we were always made to feel like outsiders with most of our neighbors. We did have a couple of good neighbors but most of them were uncomfortable with us living in their neighborhood with their children. No drug dealers as our neighbors here but plenty of drug activity in Sussex County. Every edition of the newspaper has some kind of drug bust or robbery that was perpetuated by drug users. I guess that's a problem all over this country.


      Ron

      Delete
  4. Dr. Spo and Someone,
    Just wanted to let you know that Barry and I love opera and classical music too!

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,

      I already talked to Dr. Spo about recording and bringing a selection of opera hits. He said "this is a dance party, no opera!" or words to that effect. All dancing all the time David and we do expect to see you and Anne Marie of Philly cut the rug. Pictures and video will be taken.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. james "gator" carville famously said that PA comprised "philadelphia, pittsburgh, and alabama in between". and it is damn true. :(

    go upstate to my MIL's house; last time we were there, my SIL drops the n-word and thinks nothing of it. spouse and I got up and left; we were disgusted.

    music sounds good (above)!

    and no, I will not be the "queen of the night"; that honor should be reserved for spo alone. I WILL be a "fairy in training" though; my spouse shall be the str8 comic relief. and spo would look FABU in those cha cha heels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      I remember James Carville's quote about PA and he was absolutely right! Venture outside of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh and you're in Right Wing Nut territory, with the possible exception of part of some of the Philadelphia counties like Bucks, Montgomery and Chester. Delaware county is Wing Nut territory as is almost the rest of the state, aka "Alabama". Lots of crazy folk out there.

      Honey, you won't be a "fairy in training", you're a full fledged Fag Hag, and I mean that as a compliment. I hope those cha cha heels fit Spo. He's got to try them on or we'll make him, right?

      Ron

      Delete
    2. damn str8 (or gay) about the cha cha heels!

      me a "fag hag"? better than being rejected! I loves allllll my boyfriends! :)

      Delete
    3. Anne Marie,

      The term "Fag Hag" is actually a positive term. It means a straight woman who likes to be around gay guys. It is not a pejorative term although it sounds like it because of the use of the "F" word. It's all good Anne Marie.

      Ron

      Delete
    4. I have heard the term before, and that it can be used as a compliment or a dig. I accept your compliment!

      what I can't figure out is that all my boyfriends accept me as I am, yet everyone else (read: str8 people) tries to make me be what THEY want me to be. no can do.

      Delete
  6. Intolerance is one of the hardest attitudes to stomach. Society is so quick to point the finger to cover up their own insecurities. Sounds like you have faced a lot in your day. It is so wonderful that you have great neighbours who appreciate who you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,

      Yes, I have faced a lot of intolerance in my day simply because I refused to deny my sexuality. I never walked around with an "I'm gay!" sign around my neck but I never denied that I was gay, no matter how "uncomfortable" my refusal to stay in the closet and accept being discounted as a human being made some of my neighbors, co-workers and relatives. I could write a book literally about coming face to face with this bigotry. The only so-called gay pride parades I ever marched in was the first march to Washington in 1979 and the one thirty years later in 2009. I march in my regular civilian clothes. I never believed in reinforcing the straight stereotypes of gay men marching in either leather thongs or drag nuns, that kind of self indulgent display is for someone else, not me. I prefer and think it is more effective to combat homophobia by living by example and refusing to be marginalized or hiding my sexuality just so I don't "offend" someone else, self-hating gays included. It's been a long struggle and sometimes dangerous but I would have lived my life no other way. I have a lot of straight friends who know exactly who I am and like and respect me for that, and not someone who I pretended to be. Bill hasn't always agreed with my approach to life but now I think he sees that I've done the right thing. Each individual has to fight their own battle to overcome bigotry and hatred.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. I for one cannot wait to visit Delaware. It will be my first time. I'm a Delavirgin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cubby,

      I thought you had visited Mark and Joe in Lewes. Well, when you visit Lewes you will have the distinction of saying you were in the First Town of the First State. There is only one place in the United States that can lay claim to that fact, Lewes, DE!

      Ron

      Delete
    2. let's deflower cubby! :)

      Delete
    3. No, I met Mark and Joe in Washington, DC at one of the marches. You were there too, but I didn't know you at the time.

      Delete
    4. We might have met Cubby. I met so many people on that day, including Lt. Dan Choi. I just wish I had the presence of mind to ask my friend Bob C. to take a picture of me and Dan together.

      By the way, the list of who is coming keeps changing, even today. Send me your latest and I'll update it.

      And another BTW, "The Cajun" thinks this is going to be a 70' salute. Not really, just a little background music per the request of Anne Marie. Don't anybody get their panties in a wad. Relax, this is just going to be a fun get together of blogger friends.

      Ron

      Delete
    5. besides, who wears panties in this group? :)

      nothing to get up in a wad or twist!

      you met DAN CHOI?!? WOW!

      so how many people do we have now? more than 23?

      Delete
    6. Anne Marie,

      The Cajun has his panties up in a wad. He thinks I'm making the Spotacular a Seventies tribute. He's totally missing that we're just joshing around. A little background music, that's all. Maybe a little dancing but the main thing is meeting other bloggers and having a good time. I know The Cajun, he tends to get uptight over the littlest thing. He scolds a lot. When I told him that he was "a scold", he didn't know what that meant, and there in probably lies the problem. Other than that, he is a fun guy.

      Ron

      Delete
    7. Yep, I met Dan Choi. I saw him standing on the sidelines and broke from the parade to run over and shake his hand. I wish my (former) friend Bob C. would have taken a picture but he was getting tired of taking pictures. He thinks I take too many pictures. One of the reasons he's a "former" friend. If you don't like Ron the way he is, then "bye!"

      Ron

      Delete