Friday, March 01, 2013

Hats

"Who is that man in a THAT hat?"

I've always been a hat guy.  Mostly I wear baseball caps.  I'm ashamed to admit it but I must have at least fifty (yes, you read that right) FIFTY baseball caps stashed away in my storage room in the basement.  So what do I wear almost all of the time? I wear my work hat which says "The Inn At Canal Square."  Appropriate because it is the hat I wear to work and also I like the color and feel of the hat.


My standard "hat look" (dawn at Rehoboth Beach, DE)

Last week, while searching through my storage room for that "special gift" for Dr. Spo at this month's Blogger-rama, I came across this wide brim hat.  Hey, why not wear this?  So I did.  I went to work and freaked out my fellow front desk clerk co-worker Robert with my Forties style wide brim.  In fact I so discombobulated (look it up) Robert that he took a picture (for posterity) with his iPhone.  Robert doesn't usually take photos with his iPhone so I felt special.


Me with a grandpa (whose hat I liked) during our 2010 Trip South

It's a funny thing about hats and me.  Both of my brothers don't wear hats.  Perhaps it's because their heads are so big.  Well, they do have big heads.  Brother Isaac even said so.  Even my cousin Bud Tipton (same age as I) said that's why he doesn't wear a hat....head's too big.  I've been told I have a big head but I don't think they meant physically.  


Me with my "Tide" hat - one of my favorites which my brother John once hid from me

I had a wonderful white cowboy hat.  I don't know what happened to that hat but I do remember how successful I always was when I engaged in my Saturday night cruise at the Philly gay bars in my indiscriminate and horn dog youthful days.  In fact, there were a few times I had to go back home and remove my hat because I was getting TOO MUCH attention from the guys in the bar.  And they weren't all guys I wanted to meet either.  I may have been tramping around in my youth, but I did have some discrimination.


Me with my "Goofy" hat - purchased during my trip to Disneyworld in 2000 
Sad to say, I don't have that white cowboy hat anymore nor do I have a picture of me in it.  I may have one and if I find it I will post it in the future.  I still have thousands of photos to scan.


This is my Philadelphia Phillies hat (still have it) that I wore during their World Series celebration parade through the streets of Philadelphia in 1980
I rarely go without a hat on my noggin these days, especially because I have a receding hairline and also for protection from the sun.  I develop actinite kerotisos on a regular basis on my face from sun exposure. I don't use sunscreen (which I probably should) but I do use my hats for protection from UV rays.


My Military Look - rifle range, Ft. Meade, MD 1962
While I was in the Army I had four different hats I could wear and I'm not talking about jobs.  There was my dress hat.


Basic Training - Ft. Dix, NJ 1960
Perhaps my favorite Army hat was the "box hat".  I don't even think the Army has them now.


Tha'ts me on the right "Hear No Evil" Ft. Deven, Mass. 1960
There was another Army issue hat which we called the (you ladies may not want to read this) "c_nt hat."  Seriously, that's what we called it.  I don't even know the real name.


The infamous "C" hat - still have it!
While in high school, I was in the marching band. I played the Sousaphone (not the Tuba please) and wore a band hat.


DHS Marching Band member Ron - 1959
Also in high school I wore a mortarboard hat just one time, my graduation.  Not a bad look you think?


The kid (me) graduates 1959
I think the first time I wore a cowboy hat was in 1974 during my first time visit to Provincetown, Massachusetts.  I sat down for one of those Olde Time Photos.


A black hat this time, little small for my head but still works - 1974
When Bill and I purchased our wooded property in Chester County, PA in 1976 I took to wearing ski caps.  Bill liked this one, I didn't, the "bob" was too big. 


That "bob" is almost as big as my head - 1976
One year when I lived in Philly, I did Halloween up right.  This is my "Mohammed" look.  Fun to wear but I had to go home and take it off because I was getting too much flak from some of the folks at the bar.  This was during the oil shortage.

Halloween at the Venture Inn - Philadelphia - 1980
Then more recently I get into hoodies, especially during these cold, windy days here in coastal Delaware.

I personally like the "Hoodie Look" but Bill doesn't
Speaking of Bill, he always wears a hat when he goes out or mows the lawn, much to the consternation of our neighbors.  It's not something I would wear.

Bill's "hat" - does someone want to be noticed or what?
I searched and searched and I think this is the earliest known photo of me wearing a hat.  I think this was called a "Buster Brown Hat." You can tell that from an early age I loved hats!

Me - 1948 - Downingtown PA


 That's all folks!







22 comments:

  1. the "c" hat - oh so true! and I know cause I AM a woman! :-b

    bill's hat - very fetching! :)

    but you RAWK that 40s fedora, indiana jones style! dare I say (dare! dare!) it makes you look younger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Anne Marie! So you know the "C" word hat I'm talking about. For the life of me I can't remember the real name of that hat. I don't think I ever heard it. It was always the "C" hat with us soldiers. I think the only places they wear those hats now is the old soldiers at the American Legion.

      ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,

    Yeah, I've always wore hats, too. Of course now I always wear my baseball cp when I go out because of my eye problem (over sensitivity to light). I can't see outside with our it. I usually have this wool hat on all the time during the winter now. My head gets too cold without it. But I lways have wore a hat. I guess I should put some of my in a hat photos up.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,

      You and I are alike I think. I don't feel completely dressed when I go out unless I have a hat on. I also need a hat to keep my head warm but mainly because the hat is part of me. Without it I feel undressed.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    My Dad has a hat like that wide-brimmed number in your first picture. That's a great picture incidentally. Dad also wears some kind of straw hat when he's out working in the yard. It looks like the one Bill is wearing in that picture, only without the decorations. :-)


    Sean R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean,

      I like that wide brimmed hat. Everyone else seems to like it too. I think I'll wear it more often. Bill has a couple of straw hats. He insists on putting artificial flowers in his hats just to get a rise out of our neighbors. I never got that.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. My Dad used to love doing bizarre things to get a rise out of the neighbors. He also got a kick out of us saying, "Dad, stop that! You're embarrassing us!"

      Delete
    3. "He insists on putting artificial flowers in his hats just to get a rise out of our neighbors. I never got that."

      bill does it BECAUSE HE CAN! at his age, he doesn't give a fat rat's ass about what anyone thinks. rock on with your bad self, bill! {{{{{hugs}}}}}

      Delete
    4. Anne Marie,

      Bill does like to tweak the neighbors. One hot 100 degree day a couple of summers ago he put on his fur lined parka and got on his riding lawn mower and started to mow the lawn. Our neighbor Barbara saw him from her back deck and yelled "Hey! It's 100 goddamn degrees out!"

      Ron

      Delete
    5. tee hee! bill has a great sense of humor! love it! :)

      Delete
  4. Terrific hat photos and a really interesting post. I've always like wearing hats, despite the crap I get from some people. Hat wearers have character and class.
    Everyone wears hats here in West TX. I find them especially necessary because my blonde hair is like shredded straw and is wildly fly-away in the wind.

    A word of advice - - never leave a hat in a vehicle, especially in hot summer weather. I've warped several good cowboy hats by doing that.

    By the way - - much like you, I have a big head (I'm talking about the one on my shoulders....)
    I've heard that a big head is the sign of great intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      Cowboy hats are my favorites. Pirate hats are my least favorite. I used to have several cowboy hats. I don't remember why I got rid of them. I wish I had them now. By the way, I don't have a big head, it's my brothers and cousin who have the big heads. They can't wear a hat. Can't get one big enough. My size is 7 1/8. If I go 7 1/4, it's too big.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. VERY VERY COOL POST!!! Can't say more than that! Loved it! (OK, I said more!)

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      Glad you like it!

      Ron

      Delete
  6. Hey, Ron - sorry about the big-headed comment. I mis-read what you said.
    You're definitely intelligent no matter what hat size you wear! And you look great in all the hats.

    My most comfortable hat size is 7 3/8 or 7 1/4. I guess I'm officially big-headed....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      My brother Isaac says I have a "pinhead." Of course I call him a fathead. Do you have brothers or sisters?

      Ron

      Delete
  7. Great collection! I've heard the "c---" hat called a Garrison Cap, but am not certain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it Geo! The "Garrison Cap". I knew I heard it......once. But we never but NEVER called it that. It was always "Are you going to wear your "c_nt cap" tonight?" Funny stuff.

      Thanks!

      Ron

      Delete
  8. Randy in NEB.10:21 PM

    Ron, I like the pic with you in the fedora, all you need is a whip and you're Indy look a like. And Bill is very fetching in his straw hat, be carefull the neighborhood women may very well cart him off for them selves. Ever since the military I've worn baseball caps. In fact the Air Force called those c#nt caps too, or piss cutter(????) The real name in the USAF was flight cap and the Army called it a garrison cap. I still have my big wheel hat too. Now that you told your hat size, mine by the way is 7 1/8 too. People might start sending you cowboy hats, a good Stetson here in the western shop will run you about 130 dollars. Have fun at the blog-o-rama. Randy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,

      Bill said I looked good in that Indiana Jones hat. Robert, my co-worker at the hotel said the same. I didn't believe them. I'm beginning to believe them now. You're right about the "Garrison" hat. I had forgotten that name. We never called it that of course. I am sorry I got rid of my white cowboy hat. It was perfect. It wasn't a Stetson but looked just as good. Boy, whenever I wore that to the bar, which was rare, I always got a lot of attention. Too much sometimes. Must of been the "Tug McGraw Effect".

      Ron

      Delete
  9. I love all the hats, but Bill's is the most fab. Sorry Ron !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      Wait until you see a hat we got for you. I see a new profile pic for your FB account.

      Ron

      Delete