Friday, March 08, 2013

25 Bytes


Another list folks!  I stole this from Jay who stole it from Cubby who stole it from......well, he stole it.  The posting was originally called "100 Bites".  I have changed it to smaller "bites" to 25 bites because I believe in keeping my blog posts like a drive by shooting, quick and effective.  

I will do 100 "bites" (which I have changed to "bytes") but into 25 bite increments.  Here goes the first installment of my "bytes":

1. Are you young at heart, or an old soul? Definitely young at heart!  I may look like an old man but my heart is forever young!


2. What makes someone a best friend? Someone who likes me and accepts me as I am and does not try to change me into a person who they think I should be.

3. What Christmas (or Hanukkah) present do you remember the most? A painting of a ship that Bill bought me for our first Christmas.  That painting still hangs over my bed.



4. Tell me about a movie/song/TV show/play/book that has changed your life.  An Oprah show many years ago about accepting yourself as you are and to be happy with that person.  We are all different and all have value.  Learning to like yourself and make no apologies for liking yourself.
5. Name one physical feature that you like about yourself, and one you dislike. I like my smile.  I dislike my round shoulders.

6. Would you like to reconnect with any friends you’ve lost contact with?  Oh yes, especially so many from my Army days and early days in the gay bars.  However, I fear most of them are gone now.




7. What’s more important in a relationship: physical attraction or emotional connection? Emotional absolutely.  Physical will get my attention but emotional will keep it.
8. Name a movie that you knew would be terrible just from reading the title. "Texas Chainsaw Massacre"
9. What holiday do you most look forward to? Christmas.  Not for the presents but for the peaceful ambiance, at least this one time of the year.
10. How is the relationship between you and your parents? Both my parents are gone now.  My relationship with my father was distant, he never liked me.  With my Mother it was very close; hardly a day goes by that I don't think of her.



11. You’ve got the TV on, but you’re not really watching. What channel is the TV on? MSNBC. Progressive truths that I live by.  

12. Name a song that never fails to make you happy. "Hopelessly In Love With You." Brings back memories of a very happy time in my life.
13. You know at least one person named Michael. Tell me about him. "Michael" is the name of my boss where I work part-time as a hotel front desk clerk.  He is young enough to be my grandson and has the patience of a saint with this old man who works for him.

14. Have you ever read the “Missed Connections” on Craigslist? Have you ever posted one, or wanted to?  Never heard of it but wouldn't try it anyway. I've tried similar searches on the Internet but they either result in trolls or prostitutes looking to make a hook-up.
15. If you could pick anywhere to live the rest of your life, where would it be?  On top of a mountain in western North Carolina.  I would live there now were it not for the still dangerous homophobia in that area of the country.




16. Can money buy happiness? No.  Some of my happiest days were growing up when we had NO MONEY.  Family, friends and lovers provide happiness.
17. Do you drink? Smoke? Do drugs? Why, or why not? Occasionally I like a martini (but not if I'm driving so I rarely have one).  Don't smoke (stopped July 15th, 1967) and don't do drugs because I prefer to have control over my life.
18. Is there anyone close to you that you know you can’t trust? You don’t have to give names. No, in order for someone to be close to me, I have to trust them.  If I don't trust someone, they're not close to me.
19. Where was your favorite place to go when you were a little kid? To visit my step-aunt Mary in the country (Compass, PA).  Living in a second floor apartment in Downingtown I loved those two weeks every summer that I got to spend in "the country."




20. Have you ever spent a night in the hospital? Oh yes.  First time as an 8 year old for tonsillitis.  Second time as a 17 year old for hernia operation which I contacted a staph infection which resulted in be being in and out of a hospital for the following six months. Third time in the Army for a dislocated knee.  Fourth time in 2000 for a kidney stone. 



21. Do you enjoy being with only one or two friends, or with a large group of people? Both.  I like people.
22. Do you like the type of music your parents listen to? Do your parents like the type of music you listen to? Yes.  However, we have different tastes in music.  They didn't like my taste which is basically club music, Motown, classical and just about everything except folk music and rap.
23. Have you ever been bullied? Have you ever bullied anyone else? Yes.  First time when I was five years old.  I cowed.  Later I have been physically bullied several times but always punched back which put a stop to it immediately.  Emotional bullying has gone on all my life mainly because I've lived my life openly as a gay man and refused to be discounted or bullied back into the closet.  
24. If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be? This is a tough one.  First time I've paused in this series of questions.  I guess my answer would be chicken vegetable soup for the balance of nutrition not necessarily because I crave it.



25. If your partner wanted to wait until marriage before having sex, would you stay in that relationship? Yes, sex never has ruled any relationship I've been in....ever.  Sex is secondary,  love is primary. 




16 comments:

  1. WOOF! your milkshake brings all the boys to your yard! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neato! Me, I've always gone for the "you're here, read the whole damn thing" posts! HAHAHAHA

    Enjoyed reading it, and love the pics.
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      Thanks, especially the compliment about the pics. It took me about two hours to look up just those few pictures. Hard work but worth it I think to put a "face" to the bytes. I'll do the rest of the "bytes" but I thought a hundred at one sitting was a bit (byte) much.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. There are some really uniquely interesting questions here and you've provided very thoughtful answers. And, of course,you supplimented it with good photos.

    Some really hot photos, too - - of you....and the chicken vegetable soup.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      And that is MY homemade chicken soup, which I made a few weeks ago when I had that terrible cold. I don't use stock photos on my blog, sometimes I repeat (I have to scan more photos) but never stock photos.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. i love the new banner photo and you, shirtless, really hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nadege! All compliment gladly accepted here. :)

      Delete
  5. You still look in great shape, Ron! Must be the healthy choices you make. Was that really you in the number 3 photo as i could have sworn it was James Dean. Was great to get to know you better! Thanks for always being so open!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,

      Yep, that is me in the #3 photo with the slim cigar (when I smoked) sticking out my mouth and as usual, my eyes are half closed just as the camera snaps. I'm not a model. I almost always blink as soon as the camera shoots.

      Thanks for the compliment about being open. I'm as open as I can be, I'm not one of those guys who keeps everything a secret. I have nothing to hide. Of course that upsets some people because they feel threatened but that just the way I am.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. I love your answer about living on a mountain top in western North Carolina. I'm wearing my Mt. Mitchell, NC sweatshirt right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really Cubby? Mt. Mitchell and Mitchell County is where my roots are. My father was born in those mountains. Bill and I visit every spring. We're due to go in April for a week. Love that area. If it wasn't so homophobic we would have retired there. Sad to say, that's probably one of the last areas of the country that will realize there is diversity in our culture. Other than their homophobia, all nice folks up in those mountains and the scenery is outstanding. Bill (and I) can't get enough of those mountains. We were just talking about it today driving around the flat coastal area of southern Delaware where Bill can't believe he lives now. I'll have to talk to you about how you came to have a Mt. Mitchell t-shirt.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. Anonymous9:05 PM

    Hi Ron, I have been thinking about you. Do you think Bill would be ok with a temporary dog? My daughter in college said some of the kids there want a dog but can't take on the multi-year responsiblity right now, so they are puppy raisers for one of the seeing eye dog groups. They raise a puppy for a year and know it will then go to seeing eye dog training and then on to a visually handicapped person. They become attached to the dog, but know from the start it will only be with them for a year.
    My younger is recovering from some health problems, and the puppy we got in August has been a big comfort to her. I know you are going through a rough time now with health concerns...sometimes a pet can be the best medicine. Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne,

      I appreciate your concern but we couldn't take on a dog. Bill wants no pets. If I was alone I would take a cat or two. Perhaps a Pomeranian puppy if I wasn't too old.

      My friends Jack and Judy are part of a seeing eye dog training program. They have been for years. I know it is an important service. I understand.

      Thank you again for your concern. I appreciate it.

      Ron

      Delete
  8. hohoho I stopped at #1 - I will quote you on this one !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      You got me on that one!

      Ron

      Delete