Saturday, May 04, 2013

Prostate Surgery - Day Three



WARNING!  The following is a graphic update on the after effects of my prostate surgery:

Progress folks!  Finally.  No more razor blades and barbed wire pees.  

Before we go any further in this post I'll warn you this is a graphic update on my progress after my brachytherapy prostate surgery.  This may not interest you ladies and some of you guys.  But for those of you men who are of a certain age and will probably face prostate issues in the future, here is what is happening to me after my surgery on May 2nd, two days ago.

The first day urination was so painful that I almost passed out a few times.  I heard that it would be like peeing "razor blades."  Oh yes, and you might add a few barbed wires in with that.  Oh God, was it painful.  Picture this, you have to pee but you don't want to because you literally feel like razor blades are coming out of the head of your penis.  And I thought I had experienced the ultimate pain with passing kidney stones.  Peeing razor blades is another whole new plane of experience folks.

Well, last night when I made my nocturnal visit to the bathroom for my nightly pee, it burned but the razor blade extreme pain was gone.  Just a little bit here and there but for the most part gone.

Now I have a new development.  Normally I only have to get up once at night (if that) to take a pee.  Last night I stopped counting at five.  I think I got up seven times.  There was relief that I finally could take regular pees, although they were stop and start, not the steady stream I normally take. But at least I didn't have the extreme pain.  And, I found out when I had the urge to urinate I had to go then.  No holding back, which I was always able to do before.  I hope this is a temporary situation because I would hate to be saddled with this condition the rest of my life.  

The second "condition" I have is that I haven't had a bowel movement (I told you this would be graphic) since the enema I took before my procedure on the 2nd.  I am taking Doculax as prescribed by my doctor but still no "action" (so to speak).  I feel like there is activity "down there" so hopefully something will happened today.  For many years I was plagued by constipation until I had a sphincterotomy (surgery to repair an anal fissure) operation in 2001.  I've never had a problem with constipation since. I "go" at least once a day, usually twice or more....every day. In fact, I have to plan my day according to when I go, because when I have to go I have to go.  No holding it off.  Thank goodness this usually is in the morning before I start the day.  

So that's where I stand now folks.  Making progress after my prostate surgery.  Yesterday I asked my urologist's office about the "razor blades" pees and the bruising of my penis (caused by the catheterization not a radioactive seed stuck in the head of my penis) and they said "That is all normal."  Wow.  All I can say is I am SOO GLAD I am moving on and getting past the worst of it.  Our plumbing, we take so much for granted.  



Update:  Number Two just accomplished. Now I can breath.

14 comments:

  1. Ron,

    You're doing a great service to other guys who may have to face something like this in the future. (I sincerely hope I'm not one of them.)

    Your poor "plumbing" is so traumatized right now it doesn't know whether it's coming or going. No pun intended. (I'd never make light of anyone's physical suffering, FYI.)

    i Hope this will settle down as things start healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean,

      My plumbing is indeed traumatized. Now when I have to go, I have to go. I never had that problem before either. I can't put it off. Again, even though I do still have an intense burning when I urinate, at least it is bearable. Still very uncomfortable. Each day it should get better. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Well, maybe but not any of my friends. This is no picnic, that's for sure.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. I am glad you are posting about what is going on otherwise I would have no clue. From now on it will get better and better. Wishing you a really fast recovery Ron!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      I am posting about my experience to let other men know what to expect. So much of what is written is sanitized and whitewashed out of a sense of propriety. I understand why some folks would do that but this is what is really happening and I'm not even giving all the the details. One good thing, each day I seem to get better. The first day was the worst. I hope I never have to experience that kind of pain again.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you're making very good progress, considering it's still so soon since you had the procedure (that's my unofficial medical opinion).
    Your graphic descriptions admittedly made me cringe (OUCH!). And the picture of the clown scared the hell out of me.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      My straight (and conservative) neighbor Barbara likes your FB posts! I showed her your blog and now you have another lady follower! And by the way, she doesn't think you look "deranged" at all. She read your latest post and said "He's a good writer" and indeed you are.

      I just got up from a long afternoon nap. Another side effect of my surgery is that I am very fatigued. I took another pee and it burned like hell but at least I didn't feel like I was going to faint like I did yesterday when the pain was so intense.

      You liked that clown picture? I thought that was appropriate for what I'm going through now. I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to getting back to a normal life.

      Thanks for your comments Jon. I always appreciate them.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the up front account of post surgery. It surely does paint a grim picture of pain and suffering but I'm so glad the bodily functions are getting back to normality. You must be greatly relieved to be hopefully finally on the way up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,

      I'm not whitewashing the extreme pain and discomfort. This is no picnic. I knew it would be painful but not this bad. My whole mid-section is sore. Of course I'm radio-active now. At least I can pee now without feeling like I'm going to faint. The intense burning is still there but at least it is bearable. I hope it goes away eventually. I would hate to live the rest of my life like this.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Wow! I am so glad I haven't been visited by the prostate fairy yet. This sounds awful, though I am glad to hear that the worst of it seems to be temporary. Hope you continue to make regular progress.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      I hope you can avoid a visit from the prostate fairy. This is no picnic believe me. They told me it would be painful and very uncomfortable. Oh it is, I can testify to those facts. However, the pain does seem to be lessening. Still very painful and something I wouldn't want to live with the rest of my life but at least I can stand up and take a pee without feeling like I"m going to pass out from the pain of razor blades cutting through the head of my penis. Sorry for the graphic description but that is exactly how it feels.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. OMB, what a post! all is right with the world now that #1 and #2 have been accomplished.

    you may want to keep a urinal by the bed just in case...that way, you would not have to go (heh heh heh) too far from your bed. todd does this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      Oh I am SO READY to post about flowers, cold spring weather, and cake recipes. Thankfully each day seems to be getting better.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. Ron, I'm very flattered that your neighbor Barbara likes my FB posts and my blog. Heck, I need all the friends I can get...... (you don't have to post this comment if you don't want to)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      My neighbor not only has discerning tastes (she spotted your talent right away) but she's also conservative! She's no Obama fan.

      I always enjoy reading your posts.

      Ron

      Delete