Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Post Recovery - Prostate Surgery Day Five

Right after surgery - I DO NOT remember this photo being taken but as you can see my innate personality is a SMILE. I think I'll be one of those folks who when they succumb to dementia, I'll be one of the happy ones.  I hope so.  

Progress folks!  Progress!

I am very happy to report that I am making rapid progress in my brachytherapy (seed implants) prostate surgery. 

Before I continue, again I issue the warning:  if there are children in the room or you are squeamish about the details of prostate surgery and recovery then you should cover your eyes or leave the room.  I spare very little in detail.

Here goes:

I can now pee sans the razor blades and barbed wire.  Thank you Jesus.




Last night I only had to get up once to pee.  Just like old times.

My Number Two's are on schedule.  Thank you Jesus again.


However, I am still peeing blood.  Not as much as the first and second day but still peeing blood which is somewhat disconcerting.  I'm told this condition could last for weeks.....or months.  Well, it's not painful except to see it.  I'm all about the pain now.  As long as it's not painful I'm not too upset.  

I am still sore "down there."  I feel like someone used my abdomen as a punching bag.  I wasn't warned about this condition.  Maybe it's all in my head.

Last night I returned to work for the first time since my surgery.  I was very tired.  I don't know if it was because of all the trauma my body has been through or because I didn't get a good night's sleep because I was getting up on average seven times a night to pee.  Notice I'm still talking a bout "peeing."  That's what prostate surgery is all about folks, peeing.  The plumbing.  Mess with the plumbing and you really f--k up a guy.  At least with me you do.

So it seems as if I'm progressing along as expected.  I talked to my urologist yesterday and mentioned these factors.  He said that is all "normal" and "to be expected."  I also asked him if I could undergo a little dermatology biopsy (my regular dermatology appointment was last Friday).  He advised me to hold off until I'm off of my Aleve medication, which is a blood thinner.  

I had good news from my regular VA general practitioner doctor.  I don't have to bet the Roboflo prescription with was going to cost me over $450.  He is just increasing my Terazosin prescription which also relaxes my prostate so I can pee.  Back to the peeing subject again, almost unavoidable when discussing the prostate.

Something happened last night at work that caused another injury to my old body.  While I was getting the bucket and mop ready to mop the floors, I slipped on a wet spot on the floor and, trying not to fall on the floor accidentally jammed the top of the mop handle in my left rib.  Those ribs are sore as hell now.  I don't think I broke any ribs, just bruised them but just another area of my body that is in pain now.  Oh well, more Aleve.  

The photos above and below were taken immediately after I came too from anesthesia from surgery.  Bill took these pictures.  I don't remember him taking them.  I just happened to find them as I was transferring photos from his iPhone to my iMac.  Don't I look a sight?  I hope this is the last time I have a procedure for a while.


I don't remember posing for this photo either - I was just coming out of anesthesia. I do remember that that blank was warm.  I see my clothes are in a plastic bag too.  This was before my first pee - I wasn't smiling after that pee.

13 comments:

  1. when I had my cancer surgery in 1989, my "plumbing" was messed up too. everyone was on pins and needles waiting for me to fart (a first).

    it takes time to get back into reality for the internal organs. it has not even been a week yet since the trauma of surgery. this will pass (just like pee). hee hee! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      Well, that's one thing....no farts yet. You're right, it will take time for the plumbing to get back in order. Actually, I feel I'm making good progress. I just wish I hadn't bruised my ribs last night. Now every time I take a deep breath, it hurts. But thank God at least I'm not peeing razorblades anymore. Thank you Jesus!

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Randy in NEB12:21 PM

    Ron, What would Bill think of you over doing it again? Does Bill know you jam your ribs? I think if you broke a rib you would know it. My dad snapped a couple ribs several years ago. From what he said if you broke a rib you'd know it. He said it hurt all the time. Please take care of your self my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,

      No, Bill doesn't know that I was over doing it again. Don't tell him. :) I'm pretty sure I didn't break or even fracture my rib. I probably just bruised it. It still hurts. Not an unbearable hurt, just sore.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Will you just leave the bloody housekeeping chores for HOUSEKEEPING!!!! You are allowed to recover gracefully! Don't make me come up there and sit beside you at work to prevent exertion or slippage! Pee problems are bad enough without it hurting to breathe, bend over, or cough or sneeze! Jeez, you're as bad as my dad was. As soon as he was out of the doctor's sight he wanted to mow the yard or chop down a tree or carry the car around the neighborhood or something else silly. {{{ROLLS EYES}}}

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      I didn't mop the floor last night. It's hard to pull back. My Mom brought me up wrong, always working that's me. I feel useless unless I'm doing something productive. Hard to go against the grain.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. you always look better when you smile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dr. Spo. Even when I'm when I'm stupid groggy? :)

      Ron

      Delete
    2. Especially! Next year, I must get you tipsy.

      Delete
    3. Dr. Spo,

      I have several problems when I get tipsy. It doesn't take much to get me tipsy, I become very vulnerable and I don't remember a thing afterwards. Not for nothing was I born a male. :)

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron,

    I posted a few things to a few peoples' blog, and they got dropped. Here's take 2!
    It's good that you're in pretty good physical shape. It's serving you well as you go through the healing process.

    Is cleaning the lobby part of your duties as a front-desk person?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean,

      Your comment got through. I am healing and I am thankful that I am in relatively good physical shape "for my age" (as they say).

      Yes, cleaning the lobby is part of my duties as a front desk person. Also doing the laundry and the dishes and numerous maintenance duties like changing light bulbs, fixing TV's, changing smoke detectors, et al.

      Ron

      Delete