Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sonia's Birthday Party

Sonia and George - 1958

I haven't been to many birthday parties in my lifetime.  The first one I can remember was when I was about five of six years old.  I was either in first or second grade.  The party was for a classmate of mine named Duer Smedley.  Of course I have no pictures of that party but the two things I remember clearly.  There were a lot of kids there and we played "Pin the Tail on the Donkey"
which I remember as being great fun.  


Me at the time of my first party - 1948

The next birthday party I can remember going to was for my longtime friend Larry.  It was his 16th birthday party.  I was 16 also and I took a date.  Her name was "Patty".  I won't mention her last name because we are still friends (class reunions) and I don't want to embarrass her. The two things I remember about his birthday party was that I had a date, Patty.  I didn't have a car.  I think Larry picked up us, I'm not sure (I am sure he will correct me though once he reads this blog posting).  The other thing I remember is that she left with Charlie Crouse:
our new classmate (transferred from another school) and who was the Hottie of the Moment (which I obviously wasn't). Oh I remember how mortified and embarrassed I was.  Not only did I have to have somebody drive me and my date to the party but my date left with someone else!  Oh the shame. He had his own car too which I think had a lot to do with Patty's decision to leave with Charlie.  Maybe not.  


My longtime friend Ed (who I just had dinner with tonight) and Walter - 1958

The next birthday party I can remember was Sonia's birthday party.  This was about the time of my graduation, 1959.  The party was in Sonia's basement.  As you know I love basements.  I also didn't have a car for this party either.  A friend (very good friend who I was very attracted to) picked me up.  That's probably why I went to the party.  I won't mention his name (because he sometimes reads this blog and I wouldn't want to embarrass him but all I can say is that he has the same name as my soon to be husband.)  I think I had a date to this party, it was Sonia's good friend Jeanette.  Jeanette was a very nice girl but she wasn't the reason I wanted to go to the party.  



Jeanette and me at my Senior Prom 1959

Sonia the Matchmaker tried but this didn't work
Jeanette later married a guy named Stanford Dunk and have a slew of kids - good for her and Standford and GOOD FOR ME!

This is one of the first times I took my camera along and made a pain out of myself by taking pictures.  Oh how I wish I had taken more pictures from the years past.  But I didn't but the few I have I am glad to share them with you now.  


The Object of my Attention (boy far right) and my date Jeanette (second from left) Notice how I snuck a picture of my fantasy?  Coincidentally his date was my cousin - small world - 1958
Sonia fell off her chair and I snapped this picture.  Notice how I again got the Object of my Attention in the picture.



Of course I was right on the spot and snapped this picture as Sonia was being rescued by the Object of My Attention.  Don't I wish this was a video?


The party winds down and Nancy, my friend Ed's sister and her boyfriend Dallet (first and last time I ever heard that name) relax - 1958 - you can see that even at the young and inexperienced age of 16 I had an eye for composition - 1958
Me- graduation DHS 1959
My Senior Prom - 1959


12 comments:

  1. I love to look at those older photos. You were so cute when you were 6 years old (still are). My son is graduating this year too. I hope he will have many wonderful "class of 2013" memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      Tell your son to take a LOT of pictures. Too soon he'll be old like me and regret he didn't take more pictures. Make sure he includes himself in many of those pictures. That's something I didn't think too much about when I was taking pictures when I was young.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. I never got invited to birthday parties. Guess I was the odd man out. I suspect my mom was secretly pleased that she didn't have to buy gifts over and over again.

    Your pictures are awesome. This post more than so many because the pics resonated with me. Senior picture, prom, all that. I took "surreptitious" pictures, too, still do (oops, hope that doesn't give me away!).

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      Actually, one of the reasons I did this post was to show how few times I actually was invited to birthday parties. There were many over the years but I wasn't invited. That didn't bother me but I do think it was interesting. Maybe because I failed to pin the tail on the donkey at the first birthday party I was invited to. Then I took pictures at the second one. Who knows?

      I've often wished that I had the forethought to ask other people to take pictures of me with my friends though. Just didn't think of it. Too busy taking those surreptitious pictures.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. 1959 - I was 5, my sister was 2 weeks old at the time of your graduation. oy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      And I bet you were cute as a button!

      Ron

      Delete
    2. WERE?!? still am, honey. as I like to say now: "this is what 60 looks like and it's FABULOUS!"

      Delete
    3. Damn straight.....err....gay....err....you ARE fabulous!

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,

    You had to be invited to my 10th birthday party, whether you came I can't remember. It was a surprise party and my mother invited every kid in my class at East Ward (Fifth Grade), except the Black Kids. I was angry about that. I had some friends among the Black Kids, like Gracie and Franny, while a lot of the white kids bullied me and I wouldn't have invited them.

    My 16th birthday party was a surprise party, too (my mom seemed big on them), so I probably didn't bring you since I wasn't suppose to know about it.

    Your photo of Dallet and his girl on the sofa in 1958 has a distinct Diana Arbus look to it.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,

      I might have gone to your 10th birthday party but I remember nothing about it. There is a lot I don't remember. However I clearly remember Duer's party because of the pin the tail on the donkey craziness. And your 16th birthday party because of me being dumped by Patty Daller. She went home with the guy with the car. I think my father picked me up. I don't think Brookover went to your party.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Randy in NEB12:08 AM

    Ron, I was going to comment too, in 1959 about the time you graduated high school,I came on the scene. I see a lot of photos with concrete block walls. Where people moles back then? I guess if you don't have air condioning in the summertime the basement is the place to hang out. I had several HS crushes, one guy also named Randy knew how to fill out a pair jeans, if you know what I mean. He like everyone else were total straight and got married and had tons of kids. I hope you didn't feel too bad about getting dumped for some one else on your date. Nadege is right you were a cute kid and still are. Randy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,

      You're very observant, yes a lot a concrete walled basements. Our house in Pennsylvania had a concrete walled basement. We have a poured concrete basement here at Casa Tipton-Kelly. Much better albeit more expensive. No mold or dampness.

      Oh I didn't feel bad about getting dumped on my date. I was more embarrassed than anything. Now I would've really felt bad if my date had been a boyfriend I was really interested in. Not so much with a girl. Just embarrassed.

      Thanks again for the compliments. Always appreciated.

      Ron

      Delete