Thursday, May 30, 2013

How Well Do You Know Ron?

My closet in our Pennsylvania house


Time for a "fun" blog posting.  It has been awhile since I posted a quiz/test blog so for all of you who like this kind of whimsy, here is your challenge today:  

I am posing four questions, all with truthful answers (non made up).  Choose the answer which you think best suits my personality.  The first place winner will receive an autographed picture of me sprawled nude on a beach in Provincetown, Mass (taken when I was much younger and still had an intact bod).  Second place will receive a one way plane ticket to Midland, Texas to visit the new George W. Bush Library.  

Ready?  Fasten your seat belts and suspend your belief because here we go with the "I can't believe this crap" life of Ron:


  • Which Good Samaritan activity would I volunteer for?
    • Soup kitchen
    • Habitat for Humanity house building
    • Roadside litter pickup crew
    • Big brother to a fatherless little boy
  • What stupid daredevil stunt (that I haven't done already) would I do if given the opportunity?
    • Bungee jump
    • Ride white water rapids
    • Sky dive
    • Hot air balloon ride
  • What physical attributes are my type in a man that immediately catches my eye and makes me weak in the knees?
    • Medium height (5'10"), slim (140-170), dark hair, BEARDED, great butt, kind, masculine and intelligent
    • Short (5'4" to 5'7"), blonde, freckled, smooth shaved, no visible hair on body, smart ass
    • Nerd - any height, any weight (think Bill Gates and/or Mark Zuckerberg, bangs mandatory) 
    • Red-neck, bearded, skinny, missing a few teeth, dumb ass who drives a pick-up truck
  • My favorite snack is:
    • Doritos Blazing Chips
    • Orville Reddenbacher's Gourmet White Popcorn
    • Pumpkin Seeds
    • Zero candy bars
  • I had fifteen uncles.  How many of them were gay?
    • None
    • Three
    • Five
    • One
  • Which was my very first paying job?
    • Five years old - ran errands to the local corner grocery store for relatives
    • Ten years old - paperboy
    • Nine years old - mowing grass for neighbors
    • Fourteen years old - work in a meat market (real one, get your mind out of the gutter) on the weekends
  • Which was my very first date with a member of the opposite sex?
    • High school dance with my classmate Bonnie (and girl hockey player) who, at our 35th class reunion told me she was gay. No wonder there was no urge to "explore" on our first date
    • Drive-In movie double date with my friend Larry (he drove).  Vivian and I sat in the back immersed in our.......popcorn.
    • Carnival date with my neighbor and fellow classmate Mary Jane.  Her parents tried several subsequent efforts to "match" us.  Little did they know it was hopeless
    • Sunnybrook Ballroom double date with my friend Larry (again).  The Glenn Miller Orchestra (led by Ray McKinley) was playing.  I'm not sure who my date was but she took the picture of me, Lar and his date. Says something that I remember the band but not the date.
  • My astrological sign is:
    • Aires
    • Gemini
    • Taurus
    • Scorpio
  • My basic personality is:
    • Passive-Aggressive
    • Passive
    • Aggressive
    • Introvert - afraid of my own shadow
  • Occupation that I told my teachers I "wanted to be when I grew up" (which, technically really hasn't happened yet):
    • Fireman
    • Policeman
    • Fashion Designer
    • Welder
  • Food (entree) that I hated (gagged me) when I was a little kid (and I had them all):
    • Stuffed cabbage
    • Macaroni and cheese
    • Squirrel stew with dumplings
    • Fried fish eggs 
  • My natural born talent ( I do all well but one I can do unconscious):
    • Writing
    • Green thumb
    • Organizing
    • Cooking
  • The first time I ate at a real restaurant and not a diner (I've eaten in many a diner)(these are all restaurants that I have eaten at):
    • The Pub Restaurant, center city Philadelphia when I began working at Girard Bank - 1965
    • The unnamed Washington DC gay bar/restaurant that Bill took me too - 1965
    • Da Vinci's Italian Restaurant 17th and Walnut Streets, Philadelphia, PA that Bill took me too - 1965
    • Another unnamed restaurant in Toronto, Canada that Bill took me too - 1965
  • Which award did I NOT win?
    • Best Typist in my high school graduating class - 1959
    • Soldier of the Month, Fort George G. Meade, Maryland - 1962
    • Hilton Hotels President's Award for Best Guest Service Representative - 2000
    • Most Improved Shop Student (high school) - 1958
  • Which is a standard American idiom phrase that I DO NOT USE?
    • "I wouldn't know."
    • "Really?"
    • "Sez who?"
    • "How about that?"
  • The age that I knew I was "different" (gay):
    • Twelve
    • Fifteen
    • Eighteen
    • Four
  • Favorite fruit:
    • Apple
    • Banana
    • Peach
    • Tom Cruise
  • My first homoerotic movie star crush:
    • Farley Granger
    • Buster Crabbe (Flash Gordon)
    • Kirk Alyn (Superman - movie serials)
    • Guy Madison (Will Bill Hickok)
  • The only movie actress that made me question (however momentarily) my sexuality:
    • Joan Bennett
    • Hedy Lamarr
    • June Alyson
    • Gloria DeHaven
  • The comedian I never "got":
    • Lenny Bruce
    • W. C. Fields
    • Charlie Chaplin
    • George Carlin
  • Favorite subject in school:
    • History
    • Math
    • English
    • Science
  • Favorite household chore:
    • Vacuuming
    • Dusting
    • Ironing
    • Painting
  • What trip would I like to take before I die?
    • Visit Australia and New Zealand and pick up that accent
    • Road trip through British Isles and take a million pictures
    • Visit Spain and see bullfights
    • Visit Rio De Janeiro and learn Portugese
  • Second favorite place to retire:
    • San Francisco, California
    • Seattle, Washington
    • Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    • Asheville, North Carolina
  • Best thing about getting old:
    • Have enough money
    • Wisdom and knowledge accumulated
    • Don't have to work every day
    • Things that I used to think were important, aren't anymore
So this is my list of twenty-five questions about me and my personality.  Remember, no two of us are alike and there is certainly no one like me.  When I was younger I used to think I was really screwed up but the older I get I have realized that I'm no more screwed up than anyone else and, in fact, I have more of my crap together than many.  And folks, that really makes me feel good.

Have a great day~

Me faking changing a tire on Skyline Drive - 1965 - me an Bill's first Road Trip 





24 comments:

  1. Man, I hope you're kidding about that 1st prize!
    Answers to follow later.

    I'm theoretically "working" right now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean,

      I've already posted that picture of me nude sunbathing on the beach. You saw it didn't you?

      Ron

      Delete
    2. Hmm... can't confirm or deny...

      Delete
    3. OK, here are my answers:

      Good Samaritan activity: Roadside litter pickup crew.

      Stupid daredevil stunt not done already: Sky dive.

      Physical attributes that make you swoon: Medium height, slim, dark hair, beard...

      Favorite snack: Doritos Blazing Chips

      Number of gay uncles: three.

      First paying job: Ten years old - paperboy.

      Very first date with girl: Carnival date with Mary Jane.

      Astrological sign: Scorpio

      Basic personality: Passive-Aggressive

      Occupation you wanted to be when you "grew up": Policeman

      Food that you hated as a kid: fried fish eggs.

      Natural born talent: Organizing.

      First time at a real restaurant: Da Vinci's Italian Restaurant.

      Award you didn't win: Most improved shop student.

      Standard American idiom you don't say: "Sez who?"

      Age that you knew...: four.

      Favorite fruit: banana.

      First man-crush: Guy Madison

      First lady that made you question...: Hedy Lamarr

      Comedian you never "got": Lenny Bruce.

      Favorite subject in school: History?

      Favorite household chore: vacuuming.

      Trip you'd like to take before you die: Road trip through British Isles...

      Second favorite place to retire: Asheville, NC.

      Best thing about getting old: Don't have to work every day. (I think I'm projecting a little here with this one.)

      Delete
    4. Congratulations Sean, you got 14 right!

      Delete
  2. Which Good Samaritan activity would I volunteer for?
    Soup kitchen

    What stupid daredevil stunt (that I haven't done already) would I do if given the opportunity?
    Hot air balloon ride

    What physical attributes are my type in a man that immediately catches my eye and makes me weak in the knees?
    Medium height (5'10"), slim (140-170), dark hair, BEARDED, great butt, kind, masculine and intelligent

    My favorite snack is:
    Orville Reddenbacher's Gourmet White Popcorn

    I had fifteen uncles. How many of them were gay?
    Three

    Which was my very first paying job?
    Five years old - ran errands to the local corner grocery store for relatives

    Which was my very first date with a member of the opposite sex?
    High school dance with my classmate Bonnie (and girl hockey player) who, at our 35th class reunion told me she was gay. No wonder there was no urge to "explore" on our first date

    My astrological sign is:
    Aires

    My basic personality is:
    Aggressive

    Occupation that I told my teachers I "wanted to be when I grew up" (which, technically really hasn't happened yet):
    Welder

    Food (entree) that I hated (gagged me) when I was a little kid (and I had them all):
    Stuffed cabbage

    My natural born talent ( I do all well but one I can do unconscious):
    Organizing

    The first time I ate at a real restaurant and not a diner (I've eaten in many a diner)(these are all restaurants that I have eaten at):
    The Pub Restaurant, center city Philadelphia when I began working at Girard Bank - 1965

    Which award did I NOT win?
    Best Typist in my high school graduating class - 1959
    Soldier of the Month, Fort George G. Meade, Maryland - 1962
    Hilton Hotels President's Award for Best Guest Service Representative - 2000

    Which is a standard American idiom phrase that I DO NOT USE?
    "Sez who?"

    The age that I knew I was "different" (gay):
    Four

    Favorite fruit:
    Tom Cruise

    My first homoerotic movie star crush:
    Farley Granger

    The only movie actress that made me question (however momentarily) my sexuality:
    Hedy Lamarr

    The comedian I never "got":
    Charlie Chaplin

    Favorite subject in school:
    History

    Favorite household chore:
    Ironing

    What trip would I like to take before I die?
    Visit Australia and New Zealand and pick up that accent

    Second favorite place to retire:
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

    Best thing about getting old:
    Don't have to work every day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, you're good Bob. Actually this is somewhat scary because you know me so well.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Some of the guesses were funny. I will attempt to some but I am really not that sure. I doubt I will win but if I do, I will donate your naked photo to the Bush Library. I am off work by the way, that is why I can play today.
    Volunteering to a soup kitchen - Hot air balloon (because I've done it and it is wonderful. I wouldn't call it a stunt though) - Medium hight hottie is your style - Doritos - First date with Bonnie - You are a passive aggressive Scorpio who hate stuffed cabbage - Green thumb (though all of the above would be right too) - Unnamed DC restaurant - Most improved shop student? - "Sez who" - You knew you were different when you were 4 years old - Apples? -
    Buster Crabble and Hedy Lamarr - Lenny Bruce - History - Vacuuming - Road trip to the British Isles - Asheville - Things that you thought were important then were really not that important and still aren't now but all of the above applies too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good Nadege, you got most of them right. Only ones that were wrong were Lenny Bruce, vacuuming, apples, unnamed DC restaurant, first date with Bonnie (she was my second date), and medium height ( which I am definitely attracted to buy another "type" always grabs my attention first which I wish it wouldn't.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. cripes, now my brain hurts!

    answers (in question order)

    soup kitchen
    balloon ride
    medium
    doritos
    one
    paperboy
    carnival date
    scorpio
    introvert
    fashion designer
    stuffed cabbage (YUCK)
    cooking
    da vinci's
    shop student
    sez who
    12
    banana
    guy madison
    june alyson
    lenny bruce
    history
    painting
    british isles
    asheville
    wisdom

    so, how many are correct?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne Marie,

    You got 12 right: balloon ride, Doritos, carnival date, Scorpio, fashion designer, stuffed cabbage, DaVinci's, shop student, sez who?, history, British Isles, And. Asheville. Very good!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hell, EVERYBODY got more right than I did. :(

      Delete
    2. I thought you knew me better than that Anne Marie!

      Ron

      Delete
  6. •Which Good Samaritan activity would I volunteer for?
    •Roadside litter pickup crew (Only because litter pickup crew in a cemetery wasn't a choice.)

    •What stupid daredevil stunt (that I haven't done already) would I do if given the opportunity?
    •Hot air balloon ride(Who wouldn't??) And you'd take your camera too.

    •What physical attributes are my type in a man that immediately catches my eye and makes me weak in the knees?
    •Medium height (5'10"), slim (140-170), dark hair, BEARDED, great butt, kind, masculine and intelligent

    •My favorite snack is:
    •Doritos Blazing Chips They make the lips tingle....nuff said.

    •I had fifteen uncles. How many of them were gay?
    •Three or did they just have a flair for decorating their homes? lol

    •Which was my very first paying job?
    •Five years old - ran errands to the local corner grocery store for relatives

    •Which was my very first date with a member of the opposite sex?
    •Carnival date with my neighbor and fellow classmate Mary Jane.

    •My astrological sign is:
    •Scorpio

    •My basic personality is:
    •Passive-Aggressive Yes you are....no you're not.....

    •Occupation that I told my teachers I "wanted to be when I grew up" (which, technically really hasn't happened yet):
    •Fashion Designer

    •Food (entree) that I hated (gagged me) when I was a little kid (and I had them all):
    •squirrel stew....I found a dead squirrel in my pool today....you want him?? lol

    •My natural born talent ( I do all well but one I can do unconscious):
    •Organizing

    •The first time I ate at a real restaurant and not a diner (I've eaten in many a diner)(these are all restaurants that I have eaten at):
    •Da Vinci's Italian Restaurant 17th and Walnut Streets, Philadelphia, PA that Bill took me too - 1965 Leave it to Bill to wine and dine you up right!

    •Which award did I NOT win?
    •Most Improved Shop Student (high school) - 1958 (Just can't see you in shop....)

    •Which is a standard American idiom phrase that I DO NOT USE?
    •"Sez who?" You were not a Bowery Boy...lol

    •The age that I knew I was "different" (gay):
    •Four

    •Favorite fruit:
    •Tom Cruise Isn't he everyone's? ;-)

    •My first homoerotic movie star crush:
    •Farley Granger Why do I remember this??

    •The only movie actress that made me question (however momentarily) my sexuality:
    •Hedy Lamarr

    •The comedian I never "got":
    •George Carlin?

    •Favorite subject in school:
    •History

    •Favorite household chore:
    •Ironing or vacuuming, I can't decide.

    •What trip would I like to take before I die?
    •Road trip through British Isles and take a million pictures

    •Second favorite place to retire:
    •Asheville, North Carolina

    •Best thing about getting old:
    •Don't have to work every day

    If I win 1st place I'll defer that prize to one of my male counterparts, if I win 2nd place heck ya!, I'll go to Texas....but NOT in the Summer and not to Midland. Find me a good BBQ joint there instead and I'll be happy!lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slugmama,

      I believe you are the winner! You got 19 right. Wow, I am impressed. However, you missed an easy one with "favorite fruit." No way Tom Cruise. My favorite fruit is a peach. A banana comes in a close second.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. Okay, Ron - - you made me work like hell on this one. I thought I knew you pretty well from reading your blog but now I have big doubts. I know I won't win this one, but I've already been to Midland, TX numerous times and I don't want to see it again.
    By the way, I didn't read anyone else's answers.

    1. Soup kitchen
    2. Hot air balloon ride
    3. Redneck, bearded, skinny dumb ass in pickup truck.
    4. Doritos Blazing Chips
    5. One gay uncle
    6. Ten years old paperboy
    7. Carnival date with Mary Jane
    8. Scorpio
    9. Passive-aggressive
    10. Fashion Designer
    11. Macaroni & cheese
    12. Organizing
    13. The Pub Restaurant, 1965
    14. Most Improved Shop Student 1958
    15. Sez who
    16. Four
    17. Peach
    18. Guy Madison
    19. Hedy Lamarr
    20. W.C.Fields
    21. History
    22. Dusting
    23. Road trip throug British Isles
    24. Achevill, NC
    25. Wisdom & Knowledge accumulated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good Jon! You got 16 right. You are the only one who got my "type" right by the way. You know me well. :)

      Ron

      Delete
  8. Would like to have participated when I saw this yesterday, Ron, though I'm pleased to see that a number of bloggers have.
    For some reason your blogs really stretch my ancient computer's capabilities to the utmost, taking it longer to connect and settle on your postings than any other blogger I follow. Are you aware of others having similar problems particularly with your blog or can I put it down to the sad (and certainly true) fact that I just need a new computer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should have added that the reason I put this comment here is that it would have taken me a few hours to have offered my own entry to this 'quiz'. Just scrolling down your blog is, for some reason, always a long and tedious affair. Jumping back and forth to find the next question to answer would have caused more fatigue and frustration than I could have borne. But it's clear that several others do not share my difficulties. Just a bit odd that it's only your blog that gives me this problem. Damn exasperating!

      Delete
    2. Ray,

      It's you computer. Believe me, it is your computer. No one else has a problem scrolling on my blog. Get one of those 27 inch iMacs with Bose speakers. That way you can enjoy my blog postings to the max.

      Ron

      Delete
    3. Thanks for clearing that up, Ron. Still can't understand why I don't experience the same difficulty with ALL the blogs I visit - only yours. Well, until I can find the means to buy a new computer (which could be for a considerable time yet) looks like I'll just have to keep taking the blood-pressure tablets!

      Delete
    4. Ray,

      My blog postings generally have a lot more content that blog postings of others. By content, I mean photos and videos. Of all the blogs I read, I don't know of any that have as much content as mine do. They have a lot of text and maybe a photo or two. My style is different, I like to add photos and videos with my blog postings. Bill had an older computer with limited RAM and he also had a problem reading my blog postings. I think once you get a new computer with the increased RAM your difficulty in accessing my blog will disappear.

      Ron

      Delete
  9. Raybeard, your absolutely right - - it was frustrating and fatiguing , but I always enjoy a quiz and I'm curious to know the correct answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      I just published the answers in my new posting. Thank you for participating. Looking forward to your list of questions. :)

      Ron

      Delete