Friday, May 24, 2013

The Old Dog

September 1985 - me, Baby Doll, T and Horace - posing for our annual Christmas card photo

As regular readers of this blog know, I am fond of posting old family photos.  By old, I mean the 40's and 50's.  I think I have just about exhausted posting those photos so now I have moved up to my next surge of photo taking, which occurred in the 80's, when I was in my 40's.  Poet and don't know it.

Here are some photos that I took (which can now be considered family photos since they are almost 40 years old) during one of my annual photo shoots with our dogs.  Back in the early 80's, when I first acquired Horace, my male Pomeranian dog, I had a Christmas card photo produced to share with friends and family.  That Christmas card was so popular that I began to take annual Christmas card photo shoots even though it cost me over $1,000 each time.  Back in that day I had a good paying job with a major Philadelphia bank and I could afford such frivolities.....and I did.


Explaining to Horace what we're about to do - he was okay with it

Fast forward to today.  No dogs, no good paying job, no Christmas card photos with our dogs.  


"Ready for our closeup Mr. DeMille!"

Some say we shouldn't "live in the past."  I don't consider looking at and sharing these photos as "living in the past."  I consider them memories of a different time.  A happy time but a different time.  Sometimes I feel the need to get another "little buddy" like Horace but I then realize that my little buddy will probably outlive me.  Besides, Bill wouldn't permit another pet in our house.  The loss is too great.  

So here are some of my photos from the 80's which I have now classified as "old family photos."  Enjoy.  You will be seeing more of them in future blog postings.


"We're ready!"  You think herding cats is hard.  Try and get three Pomeranians to sit still on wicker baskets for a photo shoot.

12 comments:

  1. I think that is sooo cute. I've never done a Christmas card with me in it (nor my family, mom would not stand for it).

    I love the herding cats routine. I will make a blog post about that.

    And I don't think you're living in the past, I think you are reliving good times! Always a great thing.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      Yes, I am reliving good times just like today in the future will also be good times to relive. I try to make the most out of everyday. I just wish I had taken more pictures in the past. There are whole swaths of years that I never took one photo which I now regret.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. at least YOU are sitting still! (sit! stay!)

    such cute doggies. and nothing wrong with posting these; we get to see a side of you we don't know. AND this post proves you are a witty guy with a touch of sass. I like that in a man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      Of course I have a "touch of sass." Always have! Hey, there are a lot of sides of me that you folks don't know.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. And three out of four of you said "Cheese!" on cue! (For all I know, maybe Baby Doll did as well).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,

      Babydoll was Bill's very favorite dog. He never got over her loss. That's why we don't have dogs today. If it was just me here alone, I would have two or three Poms and maybe a cat. But Bill can't take any more losses like he did when Babydoll died suddenly.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8:56 AM

    Hi,Ron, thanks for the cute picture - by the way, I disagree with your theory that getting a dog at your age would be a bad thing. I think I am older than you and last year, I adopted a little dog from a rescue group. She is around 2 yrs. old and such good company for me. Granted, due to my age, I have made arrangements for her next home, should I go before her, so rethink it, okay? marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie,

      If I was by myself I would get a dog and probably a cat. I love cats but Bill doesn't. That's why we got Pomeranian dogs, he said "they were small like cats." I grew to love that breed though.

      So if I do find myself in a solo act in the future, I will definitely get a "little buddy" to keep me company for what time I have left on this earth.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. My 82 year old neighbor adopted a ten year old chocolate lab from the local shelter. She didn’t want to outlive a dog so she got the oldest one in the shelter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful. I'l probably do the same thing myself if I'm in a position to adopt a pet.

      Delete
  6. I vote you get a dog.

    ReplyDelete