Saturday, April 13, 2013

What I Do For A Living




Mrs. Lindermann, "The Paper Lady"  collecting my paper boy take for the week with my Mom and brother Isaac looking on
In 1951, when I was ten years old and in third grade my Mother decided that I was going to get a job.  She didn't ask me, she TOLD me.  She said to me (as her oldest son, i.e. #1 Son) "No son of mine is going to NOT have a job."  Of course at that time I wasn't too thrilled about getting a job but you know what?  That was the best thing she could of done for my developing sense of responsibility. She arranged for me to have a paper boy job and I've been working ever since.  


The only picture I have of me on my Paper Boy Bike - I delivered papers for six years and only have ONE picture

Over the years I have had many jobs (in chronological order):


  • Paper boy
  • Office cleaner
  • Mowed lawns
  • Worked in a butcher shop
  • Dishwasher
  • Shoe store salesman
  • Menswear salesman
  • Soldier
  • Hotel night auditor
  • Accounts payable clerk in a steel yard
  • Bank remittance clerk
  • Bank trust operations manager
  • Gardner
  • Bank operations consultant
  • Hotel front desk agent
  • Hotel sales agent
Me (on the left) with friends Bill Allen and Dick Egan at Ft. Devens, ASA training school Massachusetts - another one of my favorite jobs!

And now I work part-time as a hotel front desk agent again.  I will work at this job as long as I am physically able to work.  I LOVE my job.  Does it have it's "moments?"  Of course, what job doesn't?  But I love going into work, working with a great group of people, and meeting new people as guests of the hotel.  Every day is different.  Perhaps the greatest satisfaction I get from my job is seeing the smile on the faces of guests who have enjoyed their stay at our hotel.  Even better when a guest tells me that they enjoyed their stay.  And after all folks, isn't that what life is all about?  Having a pleasant time?

How can anyone not have a pleasant time seeing this "pleasant" face at check in?  I ask you now.

We have so much drama, turmoil and friction in this world.  My greatest sense of satisfaction is making a difference in someone's life, even if it is a small "thing" like making their stay at our hotel a pleasant and memorable experience. 
 



And that's what I do folks and why I like my job.  Perhaps the best job I've ever had since being a paper boy.  While I would never make a lot of money at either job, I derive my riches from a different souce....satisfaction of a job well done.

Taking a reservation - serious business 

14 comments:

  1. we could NOT have had a better hotel for our meetup! todd and I enjoyed our stay and can't wait to come back next year! it's small, it's quiet, the employees are friendly, it's clean, it's in a great location away from the noise.

    and your co-workers put up with us for a fun weekend; sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne Marie! I was in the hotel tonight for a short visit with Robert. He said he enjoyed meeting everyone too. Today I got some more "goodies" for next year's Bloggerpalooza. I talked to Dr. Spo this morning on FaceTime and he thought I was getting preparations way too early. I told him I come from the Philadlephia Mummer way of thinking, January 2nd they're already planning next year's parade! I don't think he understood what a "Mummer" is. Perhaps you better explain to him. Anyway, I got some more goodies and have even more great ideas planned for next year!

      Ron

      Delete
    2. robert is such a cutie! so are monica and jesse!

      the hospitality suite was a perfect gathering place. having the porch to go outside and clear the mind whilst partying was a necessity for me.

      I need to respond to your wednesday e-mail; will do so in a few days; am formulating my thoughts.

      Delete
    3. Anne Marie,

      So you saw the cuteness in Robert too? He is a very nice guy and so is Jesse. My boss Mike is also. I am very fortunate to work with some really nice folks. I would quit (and have done so in other jobs) if they weren't.

      Yes, we definitely need the hospitality suite for a successful Bloggerpalooza. That was Cubby's idea. I'm glad he came up with it.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. I LOVED my paper route. I got up at 4:30AM and was home by 6:30AM, giving me an hour to relax (read: sleep) before showering and heading to school, and for those 2 hours, NO ONE MESSED WITH ME! It was a chance for this mixed up teenager to figure out his own head. I enjoyed collecting on Thursday and Friday nights, and especially seeing my profit each week after paying my bill on Saturday morning. Hated to give it up 5 years later, but real jobs were interfering.

    Great post, Ron!
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      One thing is for sure, no one ever got rich being a paper boy. But oh how I loved that job. My paper route was in the evening after school. Another boy delivered the morning paper. The only morning paper I delivered was the Sunday paper which I wasn't too fond of doing because the newspapers were so thick and I frequently had to make two trips. Every Tuesday night Mrs. Linderman would come by and take the cost of the newspapers plus the left over newspapers. I usually came out with a $5.00 profit which I promptly spent on candy and comic books.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron, you are right about the work ethic. Many years ago when my oldest son was a teenager, he wanted some extra money, so I suggested that he get a job. I told him to visit the businesses within quick walking distance of our home in Coral Gables, Florida and ask if they needed some help. Nearby was a drug store, a car dealership, and a restaurant. I forgot all about it, and a couple of weeks later, my son informed me that he now had a job bussing tables at a restaurant a block away. That went on to a busy supermarket job at Publix after school. After, he was grown and had a family, he asked me if I knew what one of the greatest gifts I ever gave him. I said no, and he said that it is the work ethic!

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,

      You are SO RIGHT. You gave your son the greatest gift a parent can give a child, the work ethic and self-reliance. That was what my Mother did for me and both of my brothers. Even though she didn't provide a college education for us (not enough money the family coffers), she did instill in us a sense of responsibility and a good, old fashion work ethic. We all respected her so much. We never wanted to displease her that's why we always did out best because we wanted her to be proud of us. It is interesting because it wasn't because we feared her that we didn't want to displease her but because we respected her so much. She worked hard all her life just for "her boys." Now my father, that's another whole story which I won't go into here. :)

      Ron

      Delete
  4. So many people seem to hate their jobs. It's refreshing to know that you love yours and genuinely enjoy doing it. You always have so many wonderful photos from every chapter of your life. I have so few that I'm compelled to keep rehashing the same ones over & over.
    Someday I'll have to post a list of my old jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      I"ve had some jobs I didn't like or hate. I quit them. That gives me an idea for a new job post, a list of the job I hated and quit. There have been quite a few of them. I've taken the same action when I have lived someplace and grew tired of it or didn't like it anymore, I moved. Of course everyone's situation is different, I understand that. But to me life is just too short and fragile to waste it on a job that I hated.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. twice in my life I have quit a job after only 3 weeks; so NOT a good fit for me. three jobs I have held for longer than 5 years; I will celebrate 10 years at my current job on 10/3/13.

      Delete
  5. You live a meaningful life Ron. You are a giver, not a taker and that is what brings you happiness. Plainly put, "you are a nice man".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nadege for your complimentary remarks. I appreciate it. I try to live a meaningful life. I make mistakes but I try not to repeat them. I try not to dwell on the negative, something I learned from my youngest brother who is a care pastor. I'm not religious, he is but I've still learned a lot from him, much to my surprise because we didn't like each other growing up. I'm not always successful and sometimes slip into the negative but I find if I'm positive, that it is contagious and those who I deal with in life are also positive. That's one reason I like Dr. Spo so much, he's one of those people who brings out the best in people. You are too Nadege. I always appreciate your comments and am glad that we are friends. Notice I haven't said anything negative about "Dancing With the Stars" this year. Actually, I haven't watched it yet (I have it on DVR, haven't had a chance) but when I do watch it I'm not going to slam Mark B. or anyone else who annoys me. Maybe some "positive" criticism. :)

      Ron

      Delete
  6. I made a vow in my youth to change careers every ten years; alas i have not done so, but remained the same for nearly 20. I wish I was as brave as you to try out different things.

    ReplyDelete