Friday, April 26, 2013

Annual Road Trip South - Day Six



Today Bill and I "did" Tallulah Gorge.  Such a beautiful day with clear blue skies and a mild crisp temperatures, how could we not?

We left early this morning from the hotel after a breakfast of normal waffles (the regular breakfast hostess was back) and cheese omelet and sausage.  No orange juice though, still had that rusty tin can in the container.

We're only about thirty miles from the Tallulah State park.  By the way, the famous actress Tallulah Bankhead was named after her great-grandmother who was named after the Tallulah Falls.  Tallulah Gorge was NOT named after Tallulah Bankhead, regardless of how often she told that story.

Bill and I visited Tallulah Falls a couple of years ago but we didn't descend the stairs to the suspended bridge.  We did that this morning.  What a thrill!  Just fabulous.  

However, I have to admit I have developed a minor case of fear of heights in my advanced years.  Today was a good test of that fear.  Another problem I had was descending those stairs.  I'm afraid my knees are weaker than I thought.  No video will be shown of me struggling like an old man climbing those stairs.

It's late now and Bill and I want to get off to an early start tomorrow morning.  We're twelve hours from home base in Milton, Delaware.  We're not going to make the trip in one day but split it up in two days.  We hope to make eight hours tomorrow and reach the Hampton in in Suffolk, Virginia.  That way on Saturday we only have to travel up the Delmarva peninsula and thus deliver our rental van back to Enterprise before they close at 12 pm.

This has been quite a vacation.  From starting out bad when my distant cousin threatened me and banned me from "stepping foot" on his parent's property (to interview them for my genealogy records and to introduce them to my cousin Bob T. and his wife Marie) to today where Bill and I had a truly delightful time.  We also were able to go into Toccoa for lunch again.  Bill does so enjoy visiting his hometown.  I am glad we had the opportunity to do so several times.  We've done it so often now it is beginning to feel like his home again.

13 comments:

  1. What wonderful scenery and what a profound sense of peace (much like you, I have a slight fear of heights). I felt like I was there. The moment you mentioned Tallulah Gorge I thought of Tallulah Bankhead, but I never knew she was named after her great-grandmother. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      I am so glad Bill decided to visit Tallulah Falls. Like we you love that sense of peace and serenity we both get from a place like Tallulah Falls. Unlike tonight when I took Bill to the Golden Corral. It was a madhouse. What was I thinking?

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,

    I gotta give credit to Bill that he can negotiate those steps. I have to hold on to things to walk up and down my basement stairs anymore. And steps kill me. I can go up the rocky rough trails fine, but put in steps and I struggle.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,

      Those steps (going up) were pretty tough on me too. I don't think I could do it again. Father Time is indeed catching up with both of us.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. I hope you have a safe uneventful trip back home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian. We're on I-85 now headed towards Spartanberg, SC.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful Tallulah falls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      We love Tallulah Falls and any natural wonder. We hate crowds like tonight at the Golden Corral. We don't like crowds and over commercialization. We felt revitalized after visiting Tallulah Falls.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Really awesome video! A beautiful place.

    Hope your trip home is a safe and uneventful one.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      We drove all day and we're in Virginia now, specifically the Hampton Inn in Suffolk. We leave tomorrow for home. It has been a very interesting vacation. Still, it will be good to be home again.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. That's an hour and 40 minutes down the road! I'm glad you had a safe trip thus far.
      I've followed your vacation, I blogged my last one - 23 days in England! I actually had followers! HAHAHAHA
      I know what you mean about getting home. I swear as I get older, sleeping in my own bed just becomes more and more attractive!

      Drive safe, you've got about 4 hours to go! At least very little of it is "Stupid-state" roads.
      Peace <3
      Jay

      Delete
    3. Jay,

      I wish we had time to stop by for a visit but we just didn't. And we're both getting very stressed out by all the driving. We're getting to the age that driving isn't second nature to us now. But I did want Bill to visit his home town at least one more time. He gets so much pleasure from the visits.

      Ron

      Delete
    4. I understand 100% When I saw you were headed to Suffolk, I knew you were taking the easy way! Which is a good thing. We will certainly meet again. No doubt about that.

      Peace <3
      Jay

      Delete