Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Spring Has Sprung!



Spring has finally arrived at Casa Tipton y Kelly here in the beautiful coastal plains of southern Delaware!  After the extended cold temps of the winter I began to despair that the warm temps would ever arrive.

Purple Martin house - they can't wait!

Bill cleaned out our Purple Martin house yesterday and before he even got the house all the way up on the pole, three Purple Martins landed on their summer home.  Bill says he hates all the noise that the Purple Martins make but to me, listening to their raucous cacophony is music to my ears.  I especially like seeing them gliding through the sky in circles above their house.  

Bluebird eggs in our bluebird house a few years ago

The robins are here as well as the swallows.  Bill said he saw a bluebird a couple of weeks ago but I haven't seen any.  Their house is here waiting for them.  Until last year the bluebirds usually raised two bunches of bluebirds each summer.  Last year though they had too much competition from the swallows and sparrows.  

Me checking out the new bluebird house a few years ago

I work tonight at the hotel then I have the rest of the week off.  I've already made my reservation for next year's Bloggerpalooza.  Yes folks, I will be staying on the premises.  This way I can have a few drinky poos (prefer martinis and margaritas) without having to worry about driving home.  Also, I can make the rounds of the different hospitality suites.  By the way, Dr. Spo and Someone said they will rent the Captain's Quarters which was worked so well as the hospitality suite last year.  

Cubby and Sassy Bear

You all don't have to make reservations yet but if you plan on coming you should reserve your room by the end of the year.  Also, let me know who wants to go on the Dogfish Brewery Tour.  There is no charge but the tour dates do fill up fast.  And........I have some great new fun plans for next year's get together.  Yes, I can TOP last year's Bloggerpalooza.  Some people can sing, some people can change a tire (I can't do either) and then some people can put together a fun event.  That's what I do folks.  And I love it!

Never know what surprises await at the Bloggerpalooza - the "Blue Thingie"


Have a great day!

Your host at the Inn





28 comments:

  1. 365 DAYS TIL...

    staying with us at the inn is a scathingly brilliant idea! hopefully bill won't get too lonely by himself, and you can visit with us more (and drink more too)!

    spring is the time of hope and renewal; I hope we all (and some new bloggers) and renew our friendships next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      Oh Bill will be fine. It's not like I won't be seeing him during those three days of Bloggerpalooza Weekend. Besides, I've been taking vacations by myself for years, leaving Bill at home. He doesn't mind. Makes him appreciate me more when I return. :)

      Ron

      Delete
    2. same with todd on the vacations I took by myself in 2010/2011.

      Delete
    3. Anne Marie,

      So I'm not the only one. :)

      Ron

      Delete
    4. oh it wasn't THAT kind of a vacation! I went to visit some of my boyfriends in boston, richmond, albany, and lewes.

      Delete
  2. Ron,

    That isn't spring weather; that's summer weather. We just broke the record in Wilmington for today already at 85 degree. Too hot, too fast, but tomorrow and for the week ahead temps in the sixties, more like it.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,

      I think the weather is making up for its late arrival. Yes, it is summertime. Way too hot.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Your back yard is huge! It looks very nice. You obviously take great care of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it IS huge, java. but so pretty and so well tended by bill and ron. sit on their back deck and a feeling of peace surrounds you.

      Delete
    2. Java,
      Our back yard is about three quarters of an acre. Yes, we do take good care of it but we may need Jose's help next year.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Randy in NEB2:19 PM

    I can change a tire and I can change my own oil. But Ron you're the host with the most! Your yard does look very nice, the drought did a number on mine last year. We've received more rain and snow this spring still hoping. Can't wait until next April, I'm getting thr travel butterflies aready! Great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,

      I could probably change a tire and oil but have absolutely no desire to do so. Bill doesn't mind. Yet, he would never do what I did planning an event and carrying it off like the Bloggerpalooza. I love that kind of thing. Bill and I complement each other almost perfectly. What I like and can do well he doesn't and vice versa. One big advantage I have is that I've had an in house handyman living with me for the last 48 years. Many of my friends have been jealous of that fact over the years.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Lovely, huge backyard! I hope the trees you bought at the nursery and paid to have planted are doing well. I didn't see anything dead, so
    I guess I am answering my own question.
    (There is nothing I like more than nature).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      I checked those trees this morning an viola! I looks like they are going to sprout new leaves. I think it will take a few years before they really establish themselves though. That was a big mistake I made paying so much to have the "professionals" plant them. I do better myself and in the future will plant my own trees. Like you Nadege, there is nothing that give me more pleasure than nature.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. Your yard is truly beautiful and so remarkably green. Spring has definitely sprung in your neck of the woods.
    The last time I ever saw anything green here in Texas, it was the mold on a piece of cheese that I'd forgotten in the refrigerator (hey, I'm trying to be funny). It was 90 degrees here on Monday and last night we got light snow. Talk about a drastic temperature change!

    You can tell Bill he was absolutely right about Texas - - it's the worst place on earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      Our back yard is very green. Pretty soon we will be playing catch up. The vegetation usually wins every year.

      After hearing what you and Bill said about Texas, I have no yen to go visit.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much, Ron for the tour of your property! Loved your garden with your newly planted daffodils and bird bath features! Obviously a lot of work has gone into the designing and the upkeep! Love the Purple Martin house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,

      I've always wanted a back yard where I could putter around and grow beautiful flowers and plants. Having grown up in a second floor apartment, I always envied my school mates who had their own backyards. Now I have one and I love it.

      Ron

      Delete
  8. Two very beautiful places, Ron -- the Inn and your home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David. This is why I retired to Delaware. I've seen enough drabness in my life. I'm going out with a bang.

      Delete
  9. I LOVE this pic of me and Cubby! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you look better in a dress than I would! ;-)

      Delete
    2. That's a great picture Sean!

      Ron

      Delete
  10. Beautiful, Ron. I love the birds. Around here, the f!#$%*& tree rats chase them away from anything remotely birdy. Pisses me off.

    I will be there, guess I better call and make the reservation. I definitely want in on the brewery tour (and tastings, and the gift shop so I can stock up).

    I love my blue thingie, it is sitting right beside my keyboard, keeping watch over its flock by day and night!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      I'll make yore on the brewery tour. You don't have to make your reservation until later in the year, probably around December. "Tree rats'. Squirrels? Thank goodness we don't have any here for which I'm very thankful. Had enough in PA.

      Ron

      Delete
  11. Sean,

    Cubby looks like he's speechless.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  12. The white flowers behind you in the last photo make you look like you are donning a halo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      That was my "friend" Robert's doing. I didn't know he put a halo on my head. :(

      Ron

      Delete