Saturday, April 06, 2013

More Discovered Old Photos Triggers Memories

Me, with my hot bib pants -1947

Just when I think I've found and posted all my old photos, lo and behold more turn up.  



Me (arms folded - gay already?) Pop and Mom and brother Isaac, Jr. - 1947

While going through my 80,000 or so photos (yes Virginia, I do have that many photos and more to come) I discovered these "gems" that I don't remember ever seeing before.  


Mom and Pop - 1947

These photos were among my Mom's photos which were in poor order.  Mom didn't keep her photos in a proper photo album.  Most were scattered in old boxes and kitchen drawers among old receipts. My God, my Mom kept receipts on everything.  

I'm still going through the detritus of her records and photos and found these gems.

The best I can figure these photos were taken about 1947 at Kerr Park in Downingtown, PA.  "Pop", the long and lanky hillbilly from North Carolina had met my Mom (motherless and from a poor Quaker family) on a double date.  Mom was with a guy named "Charlie Hanck" and her girlfriend Edie Lemon had a date with "Pop", (my father Isaac "Ike" Walter Tipton.)  When Pop drove up in his Packard with a rumble seat, my Mom was immediately smitten.  She told her girlfriend Edie "You get in the back.  I'm sitting with HIM."    


My Mom.  Pop carried this picture in his wallet until the day he died, sixty years (1940-2000)
Now you have to understand my Mom, Betty Louise Hadfield. She was 16 at the time and very shy but she knew that this was the man she was going to marry.  She just KNEW IT.  And marry him she did.  


Mom and Pop's first home, Cedar Knoll, PA.  No electricity, plumbing or heat.  That's me with Mom.  She was pregnant with me - 1941 - humble beginnings for Ron

Mom and Pop were married for sixty years until he died in August of 2000. Mom died in September of 2010.  When "Pop" died, something within my Mother died.  She was never the same. 


Mom with Pop a few days before he died (at age of 80 of lung cancer) August 2000
 She told me a few years before she died that Pop was the only man she was ever "with" and the only man she wanted to be with.  Pop wasn't always faithful to Mom (another whole story) but he loved her like no other woman.  


Mom and Pop (on left) with his brother Henry Tipton and his wife Aunt Peg - Kirkwood Park 1951

These old photos show them early on in their marriage.  My younger brother Isaac Jr. is in the photos with me.  


Me and my brother Isaac, Jr. - 1947
I put these photos out "there"so their memory will not be lost once I am gone.  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I am fairly certain that when I die, my original photographs will disappear.  They will probably be tossed out in the trash when whoever cleans out what remains of my life.  


Me and my two younger brothers, John and Isaac with Pop's Packard - 1947

I have four nieces and one nephew and seven great nieces and three great nephews.  None are interested in "Uncle Ronnie", they have their own lives to live which their distant gay uncle plays no part.  I do not state this fact out of self-pity but out of reality of the knowledge when I die most if not all of these long ago memories will die with me.


Pop with the Love of His Life, my Mom - 1960

This morning I posted a picture of Bill with his mother.  Bill's great nephew sent him this picture. Shortly after Bill and I set up house, Bill sent all his old family pictures to a long forgotten niece to "keep the photos in the family."  For me posting these old photos of my family is keeping them "in the family."  Maybe sometime in the distant future one of my great-great nephews or nieces will appreciate the fact that their long gone "Uncle Ronnie" took the time and had the consideration to post these old photos before they disappear forever.  


One of the best photos I ever took - my Mom and Pop in their kitchen 1959 - they never stopped loving each other

4 comments:

  1. You look just like your dad!

    I know what you mean about losing the pictures. I was handed a huge box of pictures when we cleaned out dad's house. There are so many memories, and so many lost because they aren't labeled. Mom sorted and labeled a bunch, but none that I got. I am sure that when I go, they'll go, too. No one will want them. I hate that thought, but my nieces and nephews are off on their own, too, just like yours. So no one to carry on the memories.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jay, much to my dismay, I did turn into my father. That was brought brutally to my attention at a funeral for his brother back in 1998. A cousin of his, who I had never met, came across the room at the viewing and said "You must be Ike Tipton's son, you look just like him." I felt like I had just fallen through a trap door into the floor. My father and I were never close. While I didn't hate him, I don't think he liked me very much. In fact I know he didn't. I was very relieved when I graduated from high school and joined the Army and got away from him. But he did love my Mother.

      You understand what I mean about the old photos. Too often I've seen old photos tossed out when the bachelor uncle died. No one wants them. That is what is going to happen with mine, I just know it. But, perhaps some distant descendant a hundred years from now will appreciate what I put on the Internet now. I hate to see these memories disappear but maybe I shouldn't. I won't be here so it won't matter to me. You're also right about the nieces and nephews off on their own. They don't care. So, I write and share as much as I can with this blog.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. You have a fantastic photographic documentation of your life and your family. It's a shame that none of your relatives would be interested in the sentimental value of these photos.

    My relatives are the same way. They don't give a damn about family history or sentimentality. My mother and I were the only ones who cared about photos and our heritage.

    I especially like the final two photos that you posted of your parents. It's so obvious that they were in love. My father was never capable of showing love or affection. Perhaps that's why I've always craved it so much......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      My father may never had cared much for his sons (he would often stopped eating at the dinner table, look at us and say "I got the stupidest bunch of kids on the face of this earth" then continue eating. However, he loved his wife and in all the sixty years they were together I never once, not once, hear him raise his voice to her. There were times when she was angry at him but she would just glare at him and he would sheepishly go away until her anger subsided. He worshiped her and for that I guess I should be thankful.

      LIke your father, my father never showed me any affection. Not once. And like you, that's probably why I crave it so much. Interesting isn't it? How one is raised can affect us the rest of our lives.

      Ron

      Delete