Friday, April 26, 2013

Annual Road Trip Day Seven



Is it the seventh day of our annual road trip?  Hard to believe.  I think I missed a number somewhere along the way.  Oh well.

Today was spent driving through four states:  


  1. Georgia
  2. South Carolina
  3. North Carolina
  4. Virginia

We stopped at two very nice rest stops:  one in North Carolina and one in Virginia.

North Carolina rest stop

We're in Virginia now.  Just arrived about an hour ago.  We left Helen, Georgia early this morning (about 7 am) We arrived here in Suffolk, Virginia; near the naval base (where on the eastern coast of Virginia aren't you near a naval base?)  about 6 pm, thoroughly stressed.  Our GPS was a big help but downtown Suffolk is about as traffic heavy and crazy as Norfolk.  

Hampton Inn, Suffolk, VA

After checking into our rooms we went out for a bit to eat.  We didn't want to drive so we walked to the Golden Corral, a buffet style restaurant two blocks down the street.  A BIG MISTAKE.

The Madhouse Golden Corral
This is Friday night and the place was packed.  Kids?  OMG!  Forget about it.  

I got our Senior Buffet ticket (total cost for the both of us $29.65 - wow!) and dived into the morass of people.  These buffets really don't work for me and Bill.  We just don't eat that much.  My mistake for going there. Bill said to me "Why did you do this to me?"  So I said "Lesson learned."  

One good thing, we're not too far from the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel so we can skeedaddle out of here pretty early tomorrow and make it back home in Delaware (four hours away) in time to turn in our rental van to Enterprise (they close at noon).  

Romano's Restaurant

We did have a good lunch at an Italian Restaurant in a town whose name I forgot now, called "Romano's".  I had a Chicken Caesar Wrap with a wonderful pasta salad.  $7.99.  Bill had a bowl of fresh vegetable soup, $2.99.  Great prices, great food!  Hit or miss folks.  That's what is so interesting about these vacation/road trips.  Just like Forrest Gump said about a box of chocolates:

"You never know what you're gonna get."  

Ain't that the truth!

Tomorrow....HOME.


7 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHA! I coulda warned ya about Suffolk! HAHAHAHAHAHA! And yeah, you should have heard the screeching when the sequester kicked in, you'd have thought the Tidewater area (you're in it) was going to close down completely.

    Virginia has decent rest areas now that the Gecko sponsors them!

    The Hampton looks like their usual Lego© building block buildings.

    I love Golden Corral! TOO MUCH!!! So I don't go very often (it's been a year, at least). I can't afford the weight gain. But most of the food tastes good. I love it. Oh, I said that.

    I think there is a Romano's in every town everywhere. I agree with you and Mr. Gump, you never know what you're gonna get! That's part of what I love about road trips, even at my advanced age.

    Again, I beseech you, drive safely and carefully and aggressively tomorrow! HAHAHAHA

    Ron, I've loved being on this trip with you and Bill. I feel like I know you much better, and have been introduced to Bill in a new and invigorating way!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      There was a lot of good food at the Golden Corral but just way to crowded and noisy. But I should have expected that on a Friday night. And besides, we just don't eat that much so it isn't cost effective for us to eat there. Bill doesn't like to eat out but will go with me to keep me company but he likes a quiet restaurant. The Golden Corral tonight was anything but.

      If Bill and I take any trips it has to be a road trip. I will never fly again as long as I have to take my shoes off. Security Theater is what I call it. Way too much aggravation to fly.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. Yep, that's it. Crowds and noise are NO fun in a restaurant. It's still cost effective for me, I'm sad to say ;-).

      I love to fly on small planes - Cessna 182's are my favorite. Otherwise, I only fly if it is soooo much more cost effective, or the only way (like to the UK). But at least I have beat the "take your belt off" by buying a "TSA-proof" belt! HAHAAHAAA

      Peace <3
      Jay

      Delete
  2. While I am swamped at work you've had this marvelous adventure. Just like me to arrive just as the party is ending.
    Drive safely home !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randy in NEB3:27 AM

    Ron, The Golden Corral you and Bill stopped at is way more expensive that must be because it's on the east coast. The nearest one we have here regular price is $12.99, $9.99 for seniors. A person always eats too much at places like that. Did you wear a pair of baggy slacks to have room after eating too much? I once made the mistake of when going out with friends to an all you can eat place. I was wearing what I call my cruising jeans. They were cut tight in the hips and thigh and seat. If I unbottoned them wouldn't get it back on. Anyway you two have a safe trip back to DE. And hope to see you next April 2014, I haven't flown since 1996, should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron,

    Typing in pain. Drive safe.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  5. friday night ANYWHERE and the restaurants suck! and I agree with you about buffets - I can't eat that much and most of the food is "heart attack on a plate" type. nope, gimme a nice piece of fish or chicken and I am happy!

    ReplyDelete