Monday, April 29, 2013

Back to the Regular Routine (or something like it)

Well folks, we're home and I'm trying to slip back into my regular routine.  Of course there is that "small item" that I have to get through this Thursday, my prostate "procedure" (seed implants).  Have to get through THAT folks before I can resume anything like a regular life.  I just hope there are no complications.



Yesterday I spent hours on the phone trying to straighten out a double billing (and over billing) by a faux reservation company called "Hotels.com".  When I made reservations for our hotel rooms at the Hampton Inn in Marion, North Carolina I thought I was calling the central reservations desk of the Hampton Inn.  When I checked in the Hampton Inn in Marion the front desk clerk told me my reservations were made by "one of those sites that looks like our site."  Uh huh.  Me, the longtime hotel front desk clerk, savvy guy, got snookered by one of those fake reservation scams.  Not to bore you with the details but when I got home I found two charges for $251.00 each on my Discover Card and one charge for $199.87.  So much for the "guaranteed best price" that the fake reservation site promised me.  After an hour or so of trying to straighten this out I found that the Hampton Inn had charged my credit card for one room two night for $199.87.  The phony Hampton Inn reservation site had paid for my other room (Bill's) also $199.87 but charged my credit card $251.00.  Nice little mark-up wouldn't you say for the "guaranteed best price"?  So here's what I did folks, I told Discover card only to pay them the $199.87 for the one room they did reimburse the Hampton Inn for.  I'm not paying anything else to "Hotels.com" or whatever there name is.  I called them yesterday, trying to resolve this situation but they gave me the run around and finally hung up on me.  That's what they do folks.  Be forewarned when you make any future hotel reservations.  Make sure you call the hotel directly because this is the new scam.  I am embarrassed that I got caught up in it.



Since I've been home I've been sleeping like a hibernating bear.  Man oh man, am I knocked out at night.  Last night I worked at the hotel.  I was fairly busy, mainly with TV issues.  We have Comcast and you all know how difficult they are.  By the way, Comcast monitors anything said about them so I will probably get an e-mail from one of their customer representatives.  Hey Comcast, here's the problem - your remote controls are too complicated.  They're not user friendly.  They confuse our hotel guests with what button to push. Is it the "All On" button for the "TV" button or the "Power" button?  Comcast, take some lessons from Apple, make it simple and USER FRIENDLY.

Well folks, as you can tell by reading this posting I'm sort of in a bitchy mood today.  To counter my negativity I'm posting another short video from our fabulous visit to Tallulah Gorge and Falls last week.  Enjoy!


Me with some wall art in Helen, Georgia last week

10 comments:

  1. I always hate getting back into my regular routine after a vacation. It's like you have to retrain me from scratch. Good luck with hotels.com. What asses.

    At least you're sleeping well!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      These trips are becoming too stressful to me, and Bill. Next year we'll visit Gettysburg then Pittsburgh, where I lived for a short time in 1963. Plus, my former boss and friend Bill (another "Bill") lives outside Pittsburgh. I would like to see him one more time before I kick the bucket. My "Bucket List."

      Ron

      Delete
  2. verizon ain't much better. they assume you have all the electronic bells and whistles (flat screen tv, dvr, etc. we don't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      I agree with you on Verizon. I used to have Verizon DSL, very undependable. We were always losing our connection. At least with Comcast I haven't lost the connection and it is much faster. Of course I'm paying twice the price too. The only decent service I ever had was Verizon FIOS for a short time before we moved from Pennsylvania.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. we just upgraded to FIOS quantum (tv, phone, internet) for $15 less per month (was paying $122, now $107)! and they threw in HBO and cinemax free for 1 year! spouse is digging the movies; I don't need it. FIOS has not failed me after 2 years of service.

      Delete
    3. Anne Marie,

      I wish we had the option to get FIOS where we live. We don't. Comcast has our neighborhood wired and sewed up. They have the monopoly.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. good point; well taken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      Having a problem after my seed implant this morning. I will write about it in my next blog posting. Alas, seems like I won't be getting back to my regular routine anytime soon.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. I thought I felt a disturbance in the force this morning. I hope this is nothing too serious!

      Peace <3
      Jay

      Delete
    3. Could be Jay. I see you posted this comment around 9:34 a.m. That was just about the time (I don't know for sure because I was knocked out) of my prostate surgery this morning. I am having two side effects which concern me: when I pee it feels like razor blades and the head of my penis below is bruised and discolored. It wasn't before I left the surgery center this morning. Just seems to have gotten worse since I've been peeing razorblades. I'll call them tomorrow and see what's up.

      Ron

      Delete