Friday, April 19, 2013

Today's Drama

On my way to the other side of the hospital this afternoon to the "labs" to get my blood work done

No, "today's drama" is not about the terrorist who is hiding out in a boat, bleeding, in a suburban backyard as I type this latest post.  No, "today's drama" is about a phone call I received this morning.  

As regular followers of my blog know, I am scheduled for brachytherapy on May 2nd.  Translated that means I am undergoing a ninety minute surgery where they put me out (the fun part) and insert 80 to 90 radioactive seeds in my scrotum (ouch) to treat my localized prostate cancer.  Prior to the surgery I am to have blood work done.  Okay.  I thought I had that all resolved last week.  I was told I could get the blood work the day Bill and I return from our road trip vacation down south (we leave tomorrow) on April 29th.  Oh no, "Cathy" tells me.  "I can't order the seeds until you get your blood work."  I told her that I'm leaving tomorrow for vacation.  She repeats that she can't order the seeds (I thought they had already ordered the seeds but hey, what do I know, that's what I was told) until I get my blood work.

She asked if I had eaten today.  Well....yes.  I did have breakfast.  Corn Chex with 2% milk and a banana, no sugar.  She said I could get the blood work today but I would have to fast the rest of the day.  Oh joy, just how I want to spend the day I'm in a quandary over what and how many shirts to pack for our week long vacation and I'm fasting.  She told me to go to the lab at Beebe at 5:30.  I asked her what do I have to do. She said "Just go there and tell them you need blood work."  Uh huh.  Why did I think this wasn't going to be this easy?  

I called the number of the lab she gave me and told the woman that I had to have blood work today.  She asked "Are you fasting?"  I said "Yes."  She said "Come on down at 5:30 and get your blood work done."  Why did I think this wasn't going to be this easy?

So I fasted all day.  Let me tell you, fasting during the day is a LOT harder than fasting overnight.

Five o'clock rolls around.  I get in my trust Subaru Forester, Bill in tow.  On the way down I tell Bill "I bet I run into a problem.  I just know it."  

Bill waits in the car.  I go into the hospital.  I get directions to the "labs" which is, of course, at the total other end of the building, next to the Emergency Room.

No one is at the window.  Figures.  I wander around until I find someone who looks like they work there.  I tell them I'm here to get "my blood done."  She motions me to a window where there is NO ONE.  I amble myself over to the window and viola!  Someone shows up.  I tell her I'm there for my blood work.  She said "Where is your order?  I can't do anything without an order."  

OKAY.....HERE WE GO.  I knew it.  A classic Catch-22.  I'm supposed to get my blood work but I can't get it because I don't have an ORDER but I can't the ORDER because the woman from the surgical unit who told me that I needed the blood work before she could order the seeds was gone for the day.  I knew it, I knew it and I KNEW IT.

Rather than bore you with all the flaming hoops I had to jump through I will sum it up this way, I got her to call my doctor's office (which was closed of course).  She got the "back-up" doctor.  After much back and forth on the phone, he okayed me for a "verbal order."  I got my blood work done, albeit an hour later.  Time I got out of there and to my car in the hospital parking lot where Bill was waiting for me the time was 7 pm.  I had not eaten since 6 am.  Man, was I hungry.  

So here I am now, the lone surviving Boston Marathon terrorist is still holed up in that boat in a suburban back yard and I am exhausted.  I am exhausted from watching the overkill of that situation. Just a thought here folks, we can't spend five minutes on a background check for a gun but we can close down a whole neighborhood of 300,000 people to hunt for one 19 year old terrorist who makes pressure cooker bombs? My pre-trip packing routine was thoroughly destabilized by my medical SNAFU (look it up) today.  I just KNOW I'm going to forget something on this trip tomorrow.  Oh, I'll remember what I forgot by the time we hit Virginia.  


Me at the Delaware State Legislature prior to my testimony Wednesday.  Is that my T-shirt showing?  My God.

18 comments:

  1. sweet baby cheeses! if you forget something, buy it whilst on the road. memo: next time, no undershirt. and the terrorist is in custody. have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      After having the TV on almost all day in the background, the time I turn it off to write my blog they capture the bastard.

      Oh I could never not wear an undershirt with a dress shirt. I would sweat through the shirt. Not a pretty sighgt.

      Looking forward to the trip now. I do so enjoy a road trip with Bill. He is so happy when he is in the mountains and seeing him happy makes me happy.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. I am having a procedure on May 1. I will be thinking about you while I recuperate. And here's a thought.... Anything you have forgotten can be purchased. There's a Walmart in every town here on the east coast. Relax and have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,

      That is exactly what I thought! Whatever I forgot, I can buy. That's why I now have to $49 chargers for my MacBook Pro.

      I'm ready for this trip. I'm taking my Macbook Pro with me and will update daily.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. When I have a deadline, there is almost always a snafu! Of course others don't know or care about your deadlines.

    I hope you can put all this out of your mind, and have a great trip. If you forget all your shirts go shirtless. If you for all your pants, go . . ., well maybe not.

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,

      Shirtless? Oh no, you don't want to see that. Man boobs.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. I won't even go through what it took to get my prescriptions renewed. But it involved 4 hours on the phone over 3 calls, and no return calls until AFTER I spent another hour with someone new who finally figured it out. ARGH!!! Oh, and I haven't heard from the doctor about MY blood work (I had an order but had to wait two weeks because I'd just given blood and had the volume replaced with saline, so my blood was more like a half-evaporated tidal pool) and now I am sure my doctor hates me and isn't going to call me with the test results like he has every time before, all because of the SNAFU (I know what it means, thank you) with the scripts! ARGH AGAIN!

    I hope you have a WONDERFUL vacation, and BE BLOODY CAREFUL ON I-81!!! It sucks!!! And it is crowded and way too busy. I-95 isn't much better.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      What is it with the medical establishment today? This isn't hard stuff. I was so careful to follow instructions but the right hand doesn't seem to know what the left hand is doing. So frustrating.

      We're going down through the Delmarva peninsula through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge then Norfolk and Virginia Beach which is always the worst part of the trip. The rest of trip, even around Charlotte is a breeze. Greenville, SC can get hairy, no matter how many times we drive there. The best part of the trip is up in the mountains at the "homeland" (where my father was born) and Bill's hometown of Toccoa, GA.

      Thanks for the good wishes,

      Ron

      Delete
    2. And to think, we have Obamacare to look forward to. I am sure all it will do is add another level of bureaucracy to an already overburdened system.

      You're heading south the same way I headed north to Lewes! Beautiful, easy driving! SOOOO glad you're NOT headed west to I-81 then south.

      I do love the Appalachians. I've been in the Rockies, but coming home to the old hills is just where I like to be! Now you get some sleep so you can drive safely tomorrow.

      Peace <3
      Jay

      Delete
    3. Jay,

      We tried I-81 west then south last year. Never again. It was our worst nightmare, especially around Alexandria Virginia during rush hour and all that construction.

      I'll be blogging tomorrow night, probably from Emporia, VA.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Once I was consulting in Oklahoma City to help the local sales rep. make a sale on a piece of our equipment. He picked me up at the hotel and we drove straight to Walmart, cause he did not have a clean shirt and tie he could wear for the appointment. We didn't make the sale; I wonder why. I often wondered if this salesman ever made any sales. He did take me to see the Oklahoma City memorial, though.

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,

      Bill and I will leave in about an hour to pick up our rented van for our annual trip south. Here we come! Now just to get through Norfolk. Bill tells me I'm driving through that mess.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. it's 1a, and I just had a funny thought. nurse is perusing the seed catalog...beans, okra, peas, peppers, prostate, tomatoes, zinnias...

    just a bit of wakka-wakka humor there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More drama today Anne Marie. We're off in about an hour for our trip south. I THINK we have everything packed. I'll know halfway down there and remember what I forgot. Now to just get through Norfolk, VA.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. bon voyage! have a great time!

      Delete
  7. My first thought was you cut yourself shaving till I took a closer look ..... :-)

    I like the header photo and look forward to the exact same pose sometime during the summer months.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Sir Ron, i just want to ask if it is an effective solution to take this saw palmetto supplement that I got from Dr. Mercola? We've been looking for ways so my husband can prevent a prostate enlargement and even a cancer in the future. Have you tried it or can you recommend me a good one that you already tried?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hanna,

      I'm sorry but I do not have any recommendations. You will have to consult your doctor. Good luck.

      Ron

      Delete