Friday, June 12, 2009

Thoughts on a Late Spring Night

Ronald Walter Tipton, Downingtown High School Class of 1959



After a good day at work, things fell apart at home this evening. Bill came in from mowing the lawn (which has to do every three days with the weather we're having down here on the Delmarva peninsula) and I told him he was "stinking." I guess I could of been more diplomatic (you think?) but I apparently wasn't thinking. Why Bill got mad was that he had just taken a shower but apparently was wearing the same shirt that we was wearing when he mowed the lawn. He wasn't really "stinking" but did smell of sweat. As I age I am losing some of my faculties but one that I have not lost is my sense of smell, much to Bill's displeasure. I apologized to Bill but he's mad and probably won't speak to me for a while. That's how he deals with his anger. I sometimes lose my temper but I quickly get over it. Bill is different. I hurt his feelings and it will take him a while to get over it.

This episode tonight just shows you how fast things can go awry after a good day. I was working today filling in for a co-worker who had other plans. I am not scheduled to go back to work until the Fourth of July weekend at which time I'll be working three days in a row. Normally I work every Monday night but another co-worker wants the Fourth of July weekend off so she can be at her son's graduation from infantry school and see him one more time before he ships out to Iraq. This means I have the next three weeks off.

Next week I was planning on going to Pennsylvania to see my Mom and attend the Downingtown High School Class of 2009 as a special guest. Each year the Downingtown High School invites members of the 50th anniversary class of Downingtown High School as guests to their graduation ceremonies. It doesn't seem like that long ago that I graduated but it has been half a century. Hard to believe. I'm not sure that if the kids of today's graduating class is even interested in seeing old fogies like us but I'll go anyway. It will be interesting for me. The picture on this blog is of yours truly 50 years ago when I graduated from Downingtown High School. My Mom took the picture. I was the first person in my family to graduate from high school (also the first to graduate from college.) This is the only picture of me at my graduation. So young and innocent. So much ahead of me. So fast the time has went by. And now I'm here, checking the weather forecast for next week because I don't want to make the 2 1/2 drive to Downingtown, Pennsylvania in the rain.

A few years ago I decided I don't like to drive in the dark. Now I avoid driving in the rain. I doubt if any of the members of the Downingtown High School graduating class has even given one moment's thought to those self-imposed driving restrictions. If anyone asks me to speak, I'll tell them this is just one of the "benefits" they can look forward too when they are guests at the DHS graduation of 2059. One thing is for sure, I won't be there.

8 comments:

  1. Ron, maybe you could ask a friend to come along for your school visit. The event probably won't last as long as the time spent driving there and back. Four eyes on the road are better than two. But do what will make you feel comfortable. Maybe take a rain check. Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    I would love to ask a friend to go with me. Bill won't do it. He won't stay at my Mom's or a hotel. None of my other friends would come either. You're right about four eyes being better than two eyes on the road.

    By the way, I love the gallery of pictures that you send of youself and Glenn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked seeing the picture of you at your graduation; reminds me of the same year that I graduated. My, how time 'flies'.

    I got a kick out of Mike saying to 'take a rain check', after you said you don't like to drive in the 'rain'. Didn't know if that was a play on words, but never thought of taking a 'rain check' when it's raining..........

    I never mind driving in any kind of weather; put so many miles on the road in inclement weather, that I feel like there'd be nothing to stop me from driving where I want to - no matter what.

    Who knows, maybe one day I'll over-estimate myself, but until I do, with the major roads in good enough condition to travel on, I trust my 'luck and skills'.

    I think you'll be just fine; make the trip and have fun. Stay safe - Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always good to hear from you Diane! Yes, how time flies. I still remember vividly when this picture was taken at my graduation. It doesn't really seem all that long ago. I'm looking forward to the graduation ceremonies next week of the DHS Class of 2009. I'll be the Old Fogie. I doubt if anyone will be interested in me but I sure will be interested in everything. That is one of the joys of being old, I appreciate so much more.

    I commend you for your fearlessness in driving in all kinds of weather. I can't do it anymore. I've had too many close calls. Especially in the rain and fog. I can't see. Bill and I drove back from PA this past winter at night in the snow flurries and fog and it was like driving blindfolded. Not fun at all. Not for me. Not for us. I enjoy driving but in the daylight and the sun. Just like today is starting out, with bright, clear, blue, sunny skies. My kind of day.

    Have a great day Diane and safe driving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron,

    We became friends 59 years ago. Is that possible? The school we met in is gone, houses we lived in are gone (424 and Boot Road), but somehow we are still here. Amazing.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lar,

    Is 424 Washington Avenue gone? I didn't know. The apartment building at 120 Washington Avenue is still there housing white trash. Not that much has changed over the last 50 years. Yes, we are still here. We're survivors. But eventually we too will be gone. Only memories of us will remain. That's one reason I have this blog, to leave some trace of my existence on this earthly plane.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are no photos of my early years. All lost in Katrina.

    Sorry to hear about Bill pouting again. I don't know how you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cajun,

    I'm sorry that you lost all of your photos of your early years. So much was lost in Katrina. Including Bush's reputation.

    Bill's alright now. I apologized (which I should have - I was insensitive)but it isn't easy. That's why I will never partner up again should I be alone. Never. I'll get a cat.

    ReplyDelete