Monday, June 08, 2009

No More Blizzards




The past couple of weeks Bill and I started a new habit of visiting the local Dairy Queen in Lewes and ordering a Blizzard. To be specific, we ordered a Banana Cream Pie Blizzard. After yesterday we decided to end that short lived habit. Sure, the Bizzards are good. In fact they are delicious. However, they must have about 5,000 calories because after we devour one of these Blizzards we’re not hungry for at least the next 24 hours. I guess that's what happens when you receive your minimum caloric requirements for the next week.

It was a nice little tradition while it lasted. We got out of the house, took a pleasant ride through downtown Lewes and slurped our Blizzards watching the fisherman and boaters play at Breakwater Junction in Lewes. We can still take our ride and watch the scenery in Lewes, but we will have to do it sans the calorie laden Blizzard.

Yesterday was a wonderful sunny mild day here in southern Delaware. Bill and I headed off early for Loew’s to pick up ten bags of dirt for my new raised flower beds. We will have to go again this morning, ten bags weren’t enough. While I love planting and tending my raised flower beds. It is my favorite outside activity. But I have to face the fact that I’m just too old to be lifting these 40 and 50 pound bags. Right now I am aching all over. I feel like someone beat me up. I feel like the first day after I joined my high school track team and was sore from the first time calisthenics. I’m sore but it is a good sore. Maybe I should be flinging around more 50 pound bags of dead weight dirt to get myself in shape. But on second thought maybe I have to face the fact that I’m no longer a 17 year old getting in shape. My shape has long since left. The strength just isn’t there anymore. Even Arnold Schwarzenegger isn’t in shape anymore.

So, it’s off to Loew’s to pick up two more 50 pound bags of Miracle Grow potting soil, bring it back here, struggle mightily to distribute it over the new raised flower beds and then collapse onto my bed. No more heavy lifting for this old gardener. From here on out it’s planting and weeding for this old man...............and no more Blizzards.

2 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Maybe you just need more Blizzards to give you strength.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's a thought worthy of consideration.

    ReplyDelete