Friday, June 19, 2009

Bird Rescue




About an hour ago while I was doing some yard work out back I noticed that the Purple Martin house was very quiet. That usually indicates a problem. I looked up and saw the Taliban House Sparrow barrel out of one of the gourds. He’s back. I went over and pulled down the Purple Martin house (as I have done many times this spring) and checked all the apartments. All apartments had either baby Purple Martins, eggs, and one had Mom sitting on her eggs (she wasn’t disturbed by me.)

In one of the apartments one egg was in the forefront. I felt it and it was cold. The nest in the back held four warm eggs. I took the cold egg out. I don’t know how it got to the front of the apartment but it obviously was abandoned.

I checked both gourds. One held a neat nest which was obviously the former swallow nest. The other gourd was stuffed with just about every kind of weed and trash that you can imagine. That’s a Taliban Sparrow nest. I checked it for eggs. None were there…..yet. I left the nest. I’ll wait until Taliban lays its eggs then I’ll get rid of the whole thing. That seems to be the only way to keep this varmint under control and out of my bird boxes and birdhouses.

As I was raising the Purple Martin house, I noticed a broken egg at my feet. Then I noticed a live, naked baby Purple Martin on the ground. I have no idea how it got there. Maybe it was one of those eggs hatched near the entrance to one of the apartments. A week ago I noticed there were two eggs at the front of one of the apartments but I left them there. Thank goodness I didn’t step on this defenseless baby Purple Martin. It surely would have died if left on the ground. The poor thing didn’t even have its eyes opened yet.

I gently lifted it up and put it in the nest with the other naked baby Purple Martins. I’m not sure if it belonged in that nest. If not, I hope that the mama Purple Martin doesn’t mind an extra mouth to feed.

I didn’t think to take a picture because I was anxious to get the baby Purple Martin back into the safety of a nest. Actually, I wouldn’t want to post a picture anyway of the poor thing lying on the ground. I did take some pictures of the activity around the Purple Martin house after my rescue, one of which I posted on this blog.

Whenever I rescue one of nature’s critters in harm’s way, I feel a complete sense of fulfillment. There were a lot of other things that happened today, some good, some bad. But the day ended well. My day is complete.

2 comments:

  1. I am going to have a bird house next year. I have always enjoyed the sound and sights of baby birds. My finches will probably always nest in their traditional spot but maybe other species will nest. You are a good gaurdian. Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    You will like having a bird box in your back yard. Having a bird boxes make a backyard complete. Plus, the birds help out with the insects. You'll have your own backyard habitat. A warning though, the house sparrows will probably take up first in the new bird box. Unless you're trying to protect the other species, I would let them have it. The only reason I evict them is that I want a safe habitat for the bluebirds, Purple Martins and swallows. The house sparrows have plenty of other places to nest. They are a very aggressive bird and will prevent other birds from making nests. They may be cute but they are bullies. They don't have a place in my backyard habitat.

    By the way, do you have any butterfly bushes in your backyard? If not, you should consider having some. They really do work in attracting many butterflies and bees.

    ReplyDelete