Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Profiles in Cowardice

Senate Majority Leader, Mitch McConnell

House Speaker Paul Ryan


Many years ago John F. Kennedy wrote a book called "Profiles in Courage."  Per Wikipedia (and I am quoting here):

"The book profiles senators who defied the opinions of their party and constituents and do what they felt was right and suffered severe criticism and losses in (their) popularity because of their actions."

Sadly folks, in light of Donald Trumps recent disparagement of the Kahn's, a Gold Star family, the Republican leadership is demonstrating not profiles in courage but profiles in cowardice. 

The Republican leadership under Senator Mitch McConnell, Senate Majority Leader and Paul Ryan, Speaker of the House, refuses to pull their support of Donald Trump.  By doing so they have demonstrated that their party (the Republicans) is more important than doing what is right, recognizing that Donald Trump is unfit to be president. 
 
Donald Trump


Shame on them.


9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Michael,
      The Republican leadership are disgraceful in their cowardice in doing the right thing and disavowing Donald Trump for president.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. I received a email from dear friends in the UK looking for answers of why and how this mess here could happen. All I could answer was "It's so, so, embarrassing.". Much worse than the stupidity of "W". Actually, it is frightening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. grouchy,
      I never thought any Republican candidate for president would make "W" look good but Trump does. Trump truly does scare me. Even thinking of the possibility of a Trump presidency is hard for me to comprehend.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Sorry Ron
    I can't do blog posts with Mr. Trump in them; he scares me away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      I understand completely. However, sometimes I feel compelled to say something about this dangerous man who threatens everything we hold dear in our country.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      I understand Trump's appeal to a certain segment of the disaffected electorate. They have legitimate grievances. But Crazy Trump is the wrong answer. Wrong on so many levels.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Ron, as you can see, I've deleted my original comment, which I'd decided to do even if you approved it for publishing. I really went too far, and broke my own rule about being very wary of criticising another country's politics or political figures, which can smack of arrogance along the lines of "Our country/government/ politicians are better than yours!", when I claim no such thing - most especially in criticising another democracy. Additionally, in this case, I'm particularly ashamed of insulting such a 'widely revered' figure as the Trump - which may well have brought more ire down on your blog, something of which you'll already have had your fill of late, I'm sure.

      Btw: Another film for Pat, if he hasn't already seen it. He ought to get thrills galore with 'Jason Bourne'.

      Delete