Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Pat



Three years ago, while I was updating my blog I received a comment during my posting.  I don't ever remember before receiving a comment while posting my blog before or since.  I answered the comment.

The comments answered my comment immediately. So I answered him again. 

We went back and forth for a few more comments then I asked him if he had an Apple computer.  He said he did.  I asked him if he used FaceTime.  He said he didn't.  He didn't know how to use it.

I suggested that we continue our conversation via FaceTime.  I told him how to use FaceTime and we connected.

Who was this person who connected with me?  He was (is) from Toronto Canada.  He had never read my blog before.  He found my blog after seeing a photo of me on the Internet in connection with me testifying before the Delaware State legislature for marriage equality.

The picture Pat saw of me on the Internet at the Delaware State Legislature testifying for Marriage Equality
 

He said he wanted to know more about me.  He did an Internet search and found my blog.

After that first connection I casually suggested that if he ever visited Delaware we should have an old time photo taken.


Me and Pat at Old Time Photo


  This suggestion is one I have made often to friends who visit me in Delaware. I didn't give much thought that he would take me up on my offer.  But much to my surprise he said he would "love" to visit me in Delaware. He said he was just retiring from his job and wanted to take a long delayed vacation.  


Pat at his retirement party

He made plans to visit me the following week.  I was surprised but ever the gracious host I made reservations for him at a local hotel (not the one where I work) in Lewes.


Pat in his Fiat leaving Casa-Tipton Kelly

The Friday that he drove down from his home in Toronto, he called me and told me that they didn't have a reservation for him at the hotel!  What?  I didn't know him so I didn't feel comfortable asking him to stay at Casa-Tipton Kelly.  I told him I would drive down to the hotel parking lot so we could figure something out.  

I drove to Lewes, crossed over the canal bridge and took the left turn into the hotel parking lot.  I see this guy approaching my car.  I'm thinking he's the parking lot attendant going to give me grief about parking there.  I moved my car.  He follows me.  Again, he approaches my car.  I give him a "look" and I'm ready to do battle.  I'm thinking of all the people who park in the hotel parking lot where I work and I don't give them grief, and this guy is going to give me grief?  Well, you guessed it.  The "parking lot attendant" was Pat, my Internet friend. 


Pat in the parking lot Beacon Motel parking lot August 16th, 2013

Thus began, on that late afternoon of Friday, August 16th, 2013, a friendship that I have been looking for all my life.


Pat in front of Half Full in Lewes the day I met him August 16th, 2013

Turns out the hotel where we originally made the reservation made a mistake, his reservation was for the following night.  We got him a room for the night at another hotel in Lewes. At least Pat would have to sleep on a park bench. 

I've been very lucky in my life with friends.  I have several long time friends since my elementary school days with whom I am still in touch.  I have longtime friends from my previous workplaces.  And of course I am in a long term relationship with Bill, my partner/spouse of fifty-two years. But all my life I have searched to that person who was a lot like me.  Someone with whom I have a lot in common.  And, of course, someone who I found good-looking.  Hey, I like good-looking guys. That's the way I am folks.


Pat in front of his hotel in Lewes, DE August 2013

After I met Pat in that Lewes hotel parking lot three years ago, I knew he was someone special. Someone with whom I could share the remaining years of my life.  Someone who would not be judgmental of me.  Someone who could put up with me.  I'm not the easiest person to get along with folks.  Believe it or not.

So folks, today I wish my Best Friend Forever, Pat a very happy anniversary. I hope we have many more happy days Pat!


Me and Pat at the Marathon Grill, Philadelphia, PA

10 comments:

  1. Hey Ron - great synopsis. I still chuckle about my first meeting you and getting the "look" when all I was trying to do was say hello. Hilarious - I just travelled 600 miles and got this contorted face. A very humorous circumstance. I, of course, thought it funny when after driving the distance there was no reservation. I was probably half delirious from the trip. Such an interesting start to a great friendship. We are a lucky pair to enjoy so much in common and each other's company on our great trips. Yep - 3 years - Happy Anniversary Ron!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      Proof that we're evenly matched is how often strangers in the cities we visit ask "Are you brothers?" I always knew I would meet someone like you. More proof that to never give up. There is someone out there for you!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. I have always heard; the older you get, the harder it is to makes friends. You guys proved that wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy,
      I just got lucky. Funny thing though, I always knew I would meet someone like Pat. Someone who is so evenly matched in temperament to me and brings out the best in me. All those years I looked for someone like Pat, it was worth it.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Keep having fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always do David! Even after three years. However, I think the separation keeps our relationship fresh. We have found the formula.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Awwweee, so sweet. What a wonderful story.
    I wish both of you the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're good for each other Cindi. Pat is a good friend.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. I think I might have said he before but looking at Pat's eyes you can tell he has a happy soul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,
      Pat has a beautiful soul. He's not bad looking either!
      Ron

      Delete