Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Packing For The Trip To Canada

Unpacked luggage on my bed


Well folks, the time is almost here.  My annual trip to Toronto, Canada to visit my good buddy Pat.  Every year at the end of summer I spend Labor Day in Canada.  I love Canada!  I like Pat too!

Thus begins the packing for the trip.  I think I have this down by now.  In the past I've always taken way too much with me.  Cloths that I never wear.  

I tell myself each trip, "Pack less Ron, you can always buy want you need at your destination".  But you know what folks?  I still pack an extra shirt of two (or three) "just in case."  Well, I'm here to tell you this trip this is what I'm packing:

  1. Five sets of underwear
  2. Five pairs of white socks
  3. One pair of long pants
  4. One shirt
  5. One pullover
  6. My pharmaceuticals (prescriptions)
  7. Eyedrops
  8. Macbook Air laptop computer
  9. Chargers for my computer and iPhones 
  10. Passport
And that's it folks!  Pat has my shaving equipment and toothbrush already in his bathroom.  Also my fiber blend mixture I take daily and the glass to mix it in.  

I already have a Canadian bank account (with a very nice exchange rate, thank you).

I will wear my shorts; my favorite seersucker shirt (I'll try not to duplicate shirts I've worn on my previous two visits - don't want the same shirt showing up in photos taken during different years). 

My friend Larry is picking me up next Tuesday here at Casa Tipton-Kelly next Tuesday at around 8:30 and driving me to the Philadelphia International airport for my 12:10 PM flight to Buffalo, New York. Pat will pick me up in Buffalo (shuffle off to Buffalo) and we will spend the night in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada.  The next night we will stay the night at a hotel in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.  Pat brought a hamster's nest condo in Hamilton in which he will move next year.  He's going to show me the converted hotel where his new condo will be constructed (it's not finished yet).  Then we're off to Pat's home in Toronto for the rest of the week.  

Pat and I last year at the "beach" in Toronto, Canada (Lake Ontario)

While in Toronto we'll spend a day at the Canadian Expo and try not to lose our hats this time when we take the roller coaster ride.  

We'll sample a couple of different vegan restaurants.  Pat is a vegan so I go vegan when we're together.  We'll visit other parts of Toronto.  Pat is a wonderful host and tour director.  Such a good driver managing that heavy Toronto traffic.  

This is a trip I eagerly look forward to every year folks.  I had always planned to travel when I retired and I have to tell you, since meeting Pat, my dream of traveling with a good friend and enjoying life has come true way beyond my wildest expectations. 


Next trip is when Pat comes down to Philly on my birthday in November, the day after the U.S. election.  Hopefully I will be able to celebrate the election of Hillary Clinton as president.  If Trump is elected, I just may go back to Canada with Pat.










22 comments:

  1. Ron,
    Have a wonderful vacation! I am looking forward to viewing your videos. Pat seems to be a fantastic friend and traveling companion.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! Pat is a fantastic friend and wonderful traveling companion. We get along so well. He is the first friend that I've had in my life who has interests similar to my own and is very even tempered. I love Bill and always will but whenever we went on a trip we fought frequently. Also, we didn't have the same interests. Other friends I have had couldn't take a trip with me either because they were married and their wives wouldn't let them or they couldn't afford the trip. Those few who I did take a trip with, once we reached our destination they took of with someone else. I was beginning to think that a good traveling companion was a myth. And Pat is a lot of fun.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Ron,
      After all these years you finally discovered that a good traveling companion was NOT a myth! Thank goodness for Pat! As I said before, it was destiny again that intervened and you met Pat.



      Safe traveling...........and have fun!

      Delete
  2. Toronto is a fantastic city. Do enjoy yourself, Ron!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bea,
      I LOVE Toronto! Not only is Toronto a thriving and exciting city, their vibe of inclusivity is so refreshing. There are so many different cultures in Toronto and no one seems to be threatened by people who look different than they do, unlike I see so often in American cities. Plus Pat is such a wonderful host.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. You're very well-prepared, Ron, and I envy your organization. Traveling light is supposedly the key to a successful vacation. I'm so glad that you have such a fabulous friend and travel guide to share these special times with (I'm talking about Pat, of course...). I haven't been to Niagara Falls since I was two years old (no kidding) and I don't remember a thing.

    The chopstick video is amusing. Now I know why all the Orientals are skinny. I went to a Chinese restaurant with my cousin a few weeks ago. We didn't use chopsticks...

    BTW - your books are keeping me delightfully busy. I've been reading every night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Thanks to Pat I'm learning to travel lightly and I'm finding it is the key to a successful trip. And I am so lucky to have found Pat (he actually found me). He is such a good soul. Happy, generous, witty, even tempered and just an all around nice guy. Pat is one of those persons who brings out the best in me. And we learn a lot from each other. I am so fortunate to have Pat as a friend at this time of my life. We will grow old together. Oh wait, we're already old!
      Hey Jon, so glad you're liking the books. A question, would you like to read books about the Holocaust? I have a number of those books.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. I've been interested in the holocaust since I was a teen. The first book I ever read about it was called "The Theory and Practice of Hell", which was written by a Buchenwald survivor.

      My interest began when I was sixteen - because my Hungarian piano teacher Geza Wolf (Wolfenstein) and his wife were survivors of Bergen-Belsen. Wolf had been the conductor of the Belgrade Symphony Orchestra before he and his family were arrested by the Nazis. His horrifying story left a very deep impression on me.

      But, Ron, you already done FAR TOO MUCH by sending me the Hollywood books. Please don't feel obligated to send any more.

      BTW - your bed (on the photo) looks almost exactly like mine. I have the same bookcase headboard.

      Delete
    3. Jon,
      This is good news. I too have always been interested in this period of history, since the Sixties. I have a number of books written by Holocaust survivors. I've always been interested in these books written by the survivors, how they managed to survive. I'm so glad that I have found a good home for these books. I'll gather them up when I return from Canada and send them to you.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Enjoy the adventure! What is a hamster's nest condo? I was on the phone with a technical producer the other day who is in Canada, and I almost asked her if Canada was ready for the waive of illegal immigration if Trump is elected. Talk about a country needing a wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      A "hamster's nest condo" is what we're calling Pat's VERY small condo. Pat is a minimalist. He now lives in a 500 square foot living space. His condo is even smaller! I need a LOT of space, even though I'm not using that space. Maybe that's because I grew up in an apartment. I always wanted to live in a BIG house. That I'm doing and plan to do until they carry me out feet first. Pat likes to live in a smaller space which I understand but I think his new condo might be just a little bit too small. More like a "hamster's nest."
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Thanks for that inventory, but WHITE socks?
    Have a great time (a superfluous 'instruction').

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't bother to add anything, Ron. A flippant remark just for the sake of something to say and show that I've read it!

      Delete
    2. White socks with which sneakers Ray. Black socks? No socks? I'm old fashioned, white socks.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Dr. Spo. We'll miss you and Someone on the rides at the Canadian National Exhibition. Maybe next year?

      Delete
  7. Randy in NEB3:12 AM

    Ron, I just saw an internet Meme about traveling, it said, The day before your trip lay out all your clothes that you are planning to take on the bed. Next to all your money, then take half the clothes a twice the amount of money. I think that just might work for most people. Have a good trip. Randy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,
      Excellent advice! Especially taking half the clothes and twice the money, so true!
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Geez Ron - I'm late on this one. And you always saintify me in your lovely comments. But I'm looking forward to another super time together. Niagara Falls is waiting for you. Then I get to introduce you to Hamilton - still a little downtrodden but rapidly changing as Toronto is getting waaaay to expensive. We've got lots of time to visit the Ex (Canadian National Exhibition) and take on those rides. Must get some videos of that for the folks. And we'll visit favourite haunts like Kennsington Market, the beach, Forest Hill and others. So looking forward to having lunch with you at Wegman's to start off the adventure.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      The best vacation ever when I visit Toronto and you as my host!
      Ron

      Delete
  9. Anonymous11:30 AM

    I have never mastered the art of packing. I leave for a weekend and take three bags and at least five different shoes.
    Please don't tell me they are crew socks or worse knee high white socks - yikes! Why not try some fun socks or at least some color....

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I would travel overseas, I would go to Walmart and buy cheap underwear and socks and would pitch them in the trash each day after use. This made room for a souvenirs to bring home. I hope you have a fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete