Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Medical Update

Me waiting for my doctor at the VA Outpatient Clinic this morning


Just returned from my six month checkup at theVA Outpatient Clinic.  

I have "labs" taken every six months.  "Labs" are a blood test.  This is how my prostate cancer was discovered three years ago.  Just think, if I wasn't on a six month regimen of labs, I wouldn't have known of my growing prostate cancer until it was too late. Thank God for the VA.  

Three years ago I had radio active seed implants in my prostate gland to eliminate that growing cancer. Other than some continuing and annoying side effects (don't ask, you don't want to know), my prostate cancer has not returned.

Thus every six months I approach these consultations with my doctor reviewing the results of my blood tests.  This morning was no exception. 

Good news folks!  My PSA score has not gone up! I'm cancer free.  

Cancer survivor here.

19 comments:

Cheryl said...

Good for you. I too am 3 years cancer free. Unless you go through this, no one understands the stress of those visits till you get the good to go from the doctor.

WARPed said...

Great news, Ron!!!

:-)

-Andy

Anonymous said...







We are happy to hear that news. It's a good day.



nitewrit said...

Ron,

Glad to hear you are doing well health wise now.

Lar

Ron said...

Andy,
I am a very lucky guy. Every day I am healthy is a gift.
Ron

Ron said...

Thank you Mike. I am so thankful that I continue to have good health. I appreciate every day I am healthy. More time to ruffle feathers.
Ron

Jon said...

Fantastic news, Ron! And it certainly doesn't seem like three years have passed already.

I laughed at your response to Mike's comment - - "More time to ruffle feathers".

pat888 said...

Ron - I know that is a stressful event to go thru. So glad for the good news - keep it coming!
Pat

Linda said...

Ron,
Hooray! I am so happy to hear your wonderful news. Go and enjoy this sunny day! Take care!

Bea said...

Good news, Ron. Thank goodness for the VA, indeed!

Roger said...

I just thought 3 years already...... I hate the quote but "where does time go"

Ron said...

For the time being Lar. Never know what the future holds in store for us. However for the time being I am basking in "good health."
Ron

Ron said...

Jon,
Time flies when you're having "fun."
Ron

Ron said...

Pat,
I certainly had a "run" of medical issues there for a while didn't I? I'm looking forward to coasting for the next several years (at least). However, something will get us in the end. That is the one certainty in life.
Ron

Ron said...

Thank you Linda!
Ron

Ron said...

Bea,
The VA medical system saved my life, that's for sure.
Ron

Ron said...

Roger,
The older I get the faster the time seems to fly by
Ron

Ron said...

Congratulations to you Cheryl for being cancer free for three years. You understand how apprehensive I am each time I make these six month checkups with my doctor. A good friend of mine goes through the same thing after his colon cancer operations. He said he lives his life in "six month increments."
Ron

Ur-spo said...

good news indeed.
I wish I could remove me prostate now, it would save me a lot of trouble i reckon.

My World Is Shrinking

  Me at eleven years old without a worry in the world. Year 1953.  My world has been shrinking this past year. Yesterday I woke up with a mi...