Sunday, April 03, 2016

Every Have One of THOSE Mornings?

Bill cleaning the corrosion off the battery tip points


Oh yes, I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about when I say I had one of THOSE mornings.  

Here it is, almost 12 noon and I just wasted spent most of the morning straightening out one of those 
"snowball" problems.  You know what I mean by "snowball", like a small snowball rolling down a snow covered hill that grows and grows until that snowball is boulder size and crashes at the bottom of the hill?

So here is what happened this morning folks.  I got a notice yesterday that my AAA membership automatic renewal needed an update on my credit card.  Innocuous enough, right? Yeah, that's what I thought too.

So the credit card I use for my AAA membership is locked up in my safe.  Why do I use that credit card and not my usual Master Card and/or Discover card?  Well, because it says "AAA" on the card, it's a VISA (my last backup card in case both my others don't work) and I only use it for renewing my annual membership.  I don't carry that card with me since I only use it once a year.

So I go bopping downstairs to the safe.  I try to enter the number for the electronic device that opens the safe.  Nothing. NADA. 

Yep, the batteries are gone.  Great.  Didn't I just replace those batteries?  Yes, I did.

The last time I tried to open that safe, it didn't work either because there was such a long period that I had opened the safe that the batteries had corroded. Wow, that sentence didn't seem right but I'm a bit stressed out this morning so I'll let it go.

First thing I do is try to get the unit off that contains the batteries.  

I can't get it off.  The screw that is holding the unit is on the bottom (of course, American design why would they - Sentry Safe - make it easy?)  

Phillips head or flat head?  Dunno.  I try both. Neither works.

Time to call my live in handyman, Bill.  Otherwise known as my husband/spouse/partner/roommate (yeah) and whatever.  

He manages to get the unit off (Phillips head).  He sees that the corrosion is on the heads where the batteries touch.  

Hey, isn't this narrative interesting?  Yeah, I thought so too but I have to get this off of my chest.  

Bill takes the whole unit out and cleans it up.

I get on the Internet and pull up my AAA account, wondering why they have my very old credit card, because last year they charged the right credit card. 

I can't sign in.  See where I'm going with this folks? 

So I go through the routine of checking the box "I forgot my password."  Well folks, I won't bore you with all the hoops I had to jump through here but suffice it to say that the name of my first pet is now again out there in the worldwide web.  I know that name will come back to haunt me someday.  

I assign myself a new passcode and get into my account.  Sure enough, they have my current credit card but they need an expiration date.  I can't get into the safe to get it then I remember, "didn't I put that credit card in another safe?"  I check and darn if I didn't.  

I retrieve the credit card and enter the current credit card number and expiration date and, this is important, the "code".  Viola!

Back downstairs and Bill is still working on the unit with the batteries for the safe.  He's totally stressed now.  Hey folks, it doesn't take too much to stress out an 87 year old and 74 year old, especially two old gay men who are creaking around the house and losing their brain cells daily.

We have a few more "words" (Bill wants me out of there).  I saw that Bill put a different screw back on the battery unit.  Being the anal pain in the ass (no pun intended) that I am, I insist that he use the same screw (hey, another unintended pun, what is it with the English language anyway?)

I had taken the screw because I didn't want him to lose it.  Anyway, he took off the old screw and put on the screw that came with the unit.  


Bill putting the unit back on the safe with the "right" screw

All is done now and it's time to go food shopping on this cold and windy Sunday.  Whatever happened to Spring anyway?  

Of course I couldn't update my Scrabble boards on Facebook, thus causing angst with some of my fellow Scrabble players who probably think I'm still in bed.  HA!  

Folks, it's been one of those days. Time to destress. 

"Destress" . . . is that even a word?

16 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Yes, I've been having one of those mornings for about a week now. The good news is when the power went out during the storm last night it didn't stay off long, only about an hour and quarter. I wish my other annoyances were as quickly resolved.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      I don't know if "one of those mornings" is because of the Digital Age we live in or my age (old), but I do know dealing with those situations take a lot of my time. I don't remember all this when I was younger.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron - wow - funny blog tho I can't imagine it was at the time. Holy smokes - did Larry trump yours?
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      As I become older I notice that I encounter these "speed bumps" more often.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Glad you survived. My sister is living with my parents and providing home care for them. She called me recently and said she needed to get into Dad's safe. I immediately said, "don't turn the dial, he never keeps it locked." Too late, she had been fiddling with the combination for two days. Now what drawer did he keep that taped to the bottom of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I considered using the combination option to opening my safe but I thought the digital way would be better. Neither one is good. Life is just more difficult as I get older.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. LOL isn't retirement for things like this? A day spent to do something without any need to be/do anything else. It almost sounds lovely but for knowing the frustration of it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Daily frustrations, the bane of my existence these days as I enter into Serious Old Age.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. This easy modern age that we live in causes more stress and migraines than it's worth. I've had many of THOSE mornings.
    Spring has vanished! We've been getting frost every night - - and snow flurries are expected on Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Pat (in Toronto) had six inches of snow today. More snow on the way. Sunny but windy here in southern Delaware. The modern age does indeed sometimes seem like that it causes more stress and migraines than it is worth. I don't remember all these stresses back years ago. And I fear it won't get any better.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Ron, sometimes I feel like my whole life is "one of those days." At least you have Bill to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James,
      Excellent point! Yes, I do have Bill to help. And believe me, he is a BIG help!
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Here in Los Angeles it's earthquakes, for you probably hurricanes. We keep cash hidden because without electricity no one will take a card. If we need to replace a lost or stolen card our card companies send us a new one within two days. If the batteries had ruined your digital lock system how would you have gotten into the safe for the card?? How about, keep the batteries out until you need to access the safe. That was Glenn's idea. He is so smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,
      Yes, we're still waiting for "the big one." The hurricane that will wipe out all of our houses on this flat coastal plain where we live. That's why I have my house insured to the hilt.
      I too keep cash hidden just in case there is a banking crises and we can't access our accounts. Just.In.Case.
      With our safe, I just have to open the safe more often to prevent the batteries from corroding.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Oh, it's in the low 80's all week. Our twelve rose bushes are bursting with blooms. My Iris and Bearded Iris are getting ready to bloom also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,
      Yesterday was 72 degrees. This morning . . . . snow flurries. I told Pat to keep that snow in Toronto.
      Ron

      Delete