Friday, April 01, 2016

Lunch at the Marathon Grill, Philadelphia, PA

Me and Tom at the Marathon Grill April 1, 1994 - my last day at my job in Philly


Still here folks!  I just got back from a three day visit to Philly yesterday.  And yes, I had a fabulous time.  I love Philly.

So much to talk about but short of time this morning folks.  So I'll just post about my reuniting with my former co-worker and friend Tom J.

Twenty-two years ago today, April 1, 1994; I quit my job at the First Fidelity Bank in center city Philadelphia.  Tom took me to lunch at the Marathon Grill on South 16th Street in Philadelphia.  

This past Tuesday I was eating breakfast at the Marathon.  I was seated at my favorite table by the window watching the lemming workers going to work.  Something seemed very familiar about sitting next to that wall of glass watching all the activity outside on 16th Street and then it hit me.  Almost exactly to the date, twenty-two years ago I was seated at this very same location (different table) with my co-worker and friend Tom J.  I asked the waitress to take a photo of me at this table.


Me seated at the "window" table at the Marathon Grill by S. 16th Street, Philadelphia, PA
Then I had a great idea (as I am often do, humble me admits).  I called Tom and asked him if he would like to have lunch at the Marathon.  He said he would and we met the next day.  


Me and Tom at a booth at the Marathon Grill (all the window seats were taken during lunch hour this day) March 29, 2016
After lunch we walked up 16th Street to Liberty Place to meet another co-worker who is still working at the bank!  Wow, I cannot imagine me still working in Philly twenty-two years later.  


Tom J. and Jim O., both former co-workers at the bank (Jim still works there!)

I made the decision to leave my job (I didn't have another job) at the bank and Philly because I just had enough of city living.  I wanted a more interesting life other than just "working for The Man."  And man oh man, have I ever had an interesting life since I left that job and working in center city Philly.  

Of course we all make our own decisions according to what we believe will enhance the quality of our life.  Tom retired early at 48 years of age. Tom he made a lot of money after he left his job several years later by going into business for himself and then selling that business to Boston Scientific.  Me? I began an odyssey that continues to this day.  Do I have any regrets about quitting my job?  Oh no.  OH NO!  Do I have other life regrets?  Oh sure.  OH SURE.  

These days I like to visit Philly.  Philly has changed a lot.  It's actually a happening city now.  No longer are the streets deserted when the office workers leave at 5 PM.  Now there is a thriving and vibrant pulse of activity in center city Philly.  Philly is fun.

Next month I return.  Travel Buddy Pat is coming down from Toronto.  More adventure awaits.  And yes, I'll ask Tom to join us for lunch at the Marathon.

Don, me and Pat at the Marathon Grill December 3, 2015 Philadelphia, PA



12 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Good to see a new posting. I was getting tired of looking at tent caterpillars. I'm glad you enjoyed your time in Phlly with some of your past friends.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lar, I forgot I still had the "tent caterpillar" blog hanging out there for a week. When I go away I like to leave a more pleasant blog posting. By the way, I "disturbed" the baby tent caterpillars again today. They WILL NOT devour my wild cherry tree.
      I do so enjoy reuniting and visiting with old friends from my past, especially in Philly. Thanks again for providing the transportation!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Looks like a fun place to be!! I've been near Philly but never made it to the city. An ex boyfriend of mine used to rave about how great it was.
    One day I'll finally retire!! I have a while left though!! Unless I meet Mr. Right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James,
      Philly was always a fun place to be and now even more so with the changing demographic of center city since the advent of the computer which basically eliminated the masses of office workers who used to work in center city. Long sentence.
      What? You haven't met Mr. Right yet? Still got time James!
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Sadly Ron, I haven't met Mr.Right. I stay sooo busy, it's hard for me to have time. But I am starting to feel the need to settle down.

      Delete
  3. Roger1:44 PM

    Can't wait for more pictures of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron - great photos. Love Philly! Really looking forward to adventuring with you there next month. The weather should be perfect for walking up and down the streets of your old neighbourhood and venturing into those unknown territories you dared not visit in the past as they were then considered a little dangerous. And the restaurants!! It's worth the 12 hour bus trip to Philly!!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      Philly is definitely a cool place to be these days. So much change that has happened and is happening to Philly. Philly is now a cool place. Love Philly!
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Just a quickie to say that I'm glad you're back and had a great time. It's amazing that you and your friend Tom were able to be at the Marathon Grill 22 years after you quit your job. The Grill seems to look the same, but I'll bet the prices have changed!
    Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Surprisingly the prices haven't change all that much at the Marathon Grill. Maybe that's one reason they're so popular, good food at good prices. Good service too. By the way, I'm way behind in my blog reading. Time to catch up!
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Philly is fun, glad to see you had a great time. I can imagine still working 20 years from now. As frustrated as I get some days, I still enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      If you like your job, you can work until you drop. The only jobs I ever quit were jobs that I grew to dislike, usually because of the people I was working with. However, I've been fortunate most of my adult work life in that I had jobs that I liked. And yes, there were times I grew frustrated with the job, including the one where I work now, but I like that challenge. I'm glad you have a job that you like. So important for a happy and healthy life.
      Ron

      Delete