Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Prostate Update

Me at my home away from home this morning


Well folks, just got back from my six month update visit to my oncologist.  It's been a little over a year since I had my seed implant surgery (May 2nd) for my prostate cancer.

The good news is, I am progressing well.  So well, that I won't have to visit my oncologist anymore.  He's turning me over to my urologist, who I will visit every six months for the rest of my life.  Hey, a small price to pay for the knowledge that (so far) the seed implants have been successful.


Bill works on a puzzle while I go through my paces this morning at the cancer center

My PSA reading is down from 4.8 to 1.2.  My oncologist said he would like to see it below 1 but he'll accept 1.2.  Hopefully the reading will be lower after my next blood test.  I'm just thankful it's not going up or staying the same.  


"Ship ahoy matey!"

So it's free sailing folks for me for the foreseeable future. I told him that I'm going to be one of his success stories, surviving at least twenty years past my original diagnosis of PC.  He said that would make me 91 years old and "that would be a good run."  Are you kidding folks?  I'm 72 years old now and I've had a damn good run already.  It's all gravy from here on folks.


Good to go for another 20 years

18 comments:

  1. That is very good news! I am sure it is a huge relief and I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      Yes, I am happy but I was resigned to anything. One thing I'm pretty sure of, I'm not going through any more treatments. Last year was a nightmare I would rather forget. Every day I get now where I can get around on my own and still cause waves is a bonus. But, sooner or later something is going to take me down.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron, that is such good news, I'm sure you're walking on air! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,
      Yes, especially after knowing some of my peers, especially one fellow gay guy who is only in his early 50's, has a far worse outcome (see my blog roll). I am grateful for each day I have now. I'm way past my expiration date, every day now is a bonus.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Anne Marie, maybe I'll be around for another Bloggerpalooza. I definitely will be making the trek to Canada though in August for a mini Bloggerpalooza with the guys.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Anonymous2:13 PM

    I think your upcoming trip to Canada will rejuvenate you for another THIRTY years!

    Anon a.k.a. The Canuck

    P.S. How's the garden at Casa Tipton-Kelly coming along?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon ,
      I am so looking forward to my trip to Canada, the first of any I hope.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron,
    Man, I can't believe it's been a year. This is very old news.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      Time flies when you're having fun!
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Fantastic news, Ron! It was definitely worth all the trouble you had to go through. You deserve another twenty years. Your header photo reminded me that I have never washed a vehicle since I've been in Texas. There is so much dirt & dust that it's a no-win situation. Keeping things clean is an impossibility. I love the photo of the sailing ship and I'd like to be on it, headed for an exotic island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Thanks! My favorite pictures are of the old time sailing ships. I must have been a pirate or a sailor in one of my previous lives. I have a painting like that photo above my bed. For years I've had it. Looking at that painting takes me to a different, much more relaxing and tranquil place.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Wow, a whole year! I guess bad news always seems fresh. THIS IS GOOD NEWS, THOUGH!!!! Awesome! So glad all the misery of last year has such a great outcome. I do so hope you'll be around so we can keep partying together at Bloggerpalooza for another 20 years!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      Thanks! Looking forward to many more "Bloggerpaloozas"! We have to get Randy happy again.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Very good news - you take a licking but you keep on ticking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      I not only "take a licking" but I lick too..
      Ron

      Delete
    2. that sounds rather scurrilous.

      Delete
    3. Actually, rather "tasty" with the right person. Just saying.

      Delete