Friday, June 13, 2014

Lost Dog!

"Red", lost dog in our garage this morning

Somedays you just never know how your day is going to start.  This morning was such a morning.

This morning started out as usual, I groggily arose from the dead got out of bed, hit the bathroom for my morning pee, then slumped to our kitchen for my breakfast of bran flakes and strawberries.  After feeding my face, brushing my teeth I trekked to my home office.  I called my friend and former high school classmate Jack S.  Jack had called me yesterday as I was just going into work.  He needed my help with is new iPhone in navigating the Calendar function of his iPhone.


I called Jack.  After about a half an hour of Ron's iPhone Class, Bill breathlessly bursts into my lair. He gasps "There's a lost dog outside!  I put him in the garage."  Oh great, an emergency this early in the morning and I'm already in my Mr. Fixit mode.  Make no mistake about it folks, I'm the Go To Guy in this household.


A stressed lost dog and a stressed Ron taking a selfie

So whose dog is this?  Our neighbors across the street who just installed their invisible dog fence?

Bill said the lost dog has a phone number on his collar.  Out to the garage I am met by an anxious WET, PANTING red Irish setter.  Oh great, just what I need this morning.  Putting out another fire.  I understand Bill rescuing the poor dog.  We don't want the dog wandering out on Route One to risk being hit by one of the speeding idiots on Route One, especially today Friday when the Horde descends on Gayberry Rehoboth Beach for the weekend. 


Route One (Coastal Highway), ready for the onslaught of the weekend Horde

I get the phone number off of "Red's" collar (and actually, I later found out that this dog's name is actually "Red.")  I call the number and I get voice mail.  I leave a message.  Now what to do?  We have a panting, (which we gave some water), WET, dog in our garage.  




I go back to my office and my computer.  I have a lot to do.  My friend Pat from Toronto is coming down this Sunday and I have to coordinate picking him up and taking him back (to Wilmington) for the following week.  Yes, Pat's taking the bus for this time instead of driving himself.  A fifteen hour trip.  Yes, it takes that long to travel from Toronto to Casa Tipton-Kelly.


Me and Pat last year just before leaving for our trip to Philadelphia 

The phone rings.  The man on the other side of the phone identifies himself as "Donald."  I recognize his voice.  He is a former (gay) neighbor of ours who we had falling out with his late partner.  I say to "Donald", "This is Ron!  You know who I am Don!"  He says he's calling from ---------- (I'm leaving the name out because I don't want his boss to to an Internet search and read this blog), and that dog "Red" (yes, that's the dog's name) is his bosses' dog.  He asked where I live. I told him "Don, you know where I live!"  Then he realizes who I am and said "Ron!  Hey! I know where you live. I'll be right over to pick up Red."  

Ten minutes later Don pulls up in our driveway.  I told Bill Don was coming over.  We were both out in our parking lot to greet Don.  


Bill greets Don and "Red" is going home

Now how about this?  Don doesn't know why we had a falling out with his late partner who died three years ago.  And I don't really want to rehash why either because his partner is gone now and it's probably best that we leave that negativity behind us.  But we never had a problem with Don. Who knows what his partner told Don why we had a falling out but that's all history now.  


Friendship renewed

We had a wonderful reunion right in our little parking lot by the garage.  Don now has a new love.  They're getting married this September.  Don gave me his new address (and phone number and e-mail).  Bill and I will visit.  We also have a mutual friend, Ed C. who, coincidentally will be vacationing next week at his home in Rehoboth.  What great timing!  My friend Pat will also be down next week.  I can introduce Pat to Ed and Don.


"Red", the catalyst for a friendship renewal this morning

So folks, you just never know.  Somedays you get out of bed and your whole world changes….for the better.  I'm not a religious man but sometimes I wonder.  


Don and Ron, renewed friendship after three year estrangement (is it me or does Don look like he's not quite ready? I'm always ready)
You're going home buddy.



22 comments:

  1. Yes, some things do happen in such a way that one wonders. Re-united by such a lovely 'mediator'. Positively makes my heart nearly sing, it does. I hope you're going to see a lot more of the handsome Red as well as his owner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      When things like this happen I am tempted to believe that there is a "greater force" at work somewhere in the universe to make things right. Then I hear the latest news in Iraq and I'm confused again. Oh well, always an adventurer here in Ron Land.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Ron, I agree with you in accepting the possibility of a 'force' at play, maybe even a benign force, the nature of which we haven't yet determined. But I'm as certain as it's possible to be that it is NOT the 'God' we are told that there is, one who is capable of active, independent intelligence and who purposely intervenes in life on earth. If there were such a being I wouldn't respect it nor would s/he deserve any respect - and on Judgment Day would be happy to say so!

      Delete
    3. Ray,
      I agree with you, I don't believe in the "man made" God. The way organized religion has defined "God." If other finds peace and contentment in their beliefs, I have no problem with that but where I have the problem is when they try to change me. Perhaps that's why I dislike evangelicals so much. It's all about "Believe my way or you're going to Hell!" I just don't believe it. But what I do believe and have always believed was that something "good" was going to happen to me and it did. I don't know who or what to thank but I am thankful.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Any day you can rescue an animal, AND return it to his rightful owner, has got to be a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Bob, any day an animal is rescued and to it's rightful owner is a GREAT DAY! I'm glad all ended well, especially the renewal of our friendship with Don K. His partner,whose racism ruined things (that Don didn't know about) caused a rupture in our friendship but that's past. I don't think Don ever knew what happened to cause the rift but I'm not going to tell him either, why dredge up something like that from the past? Don is getting married again and I wish him the best.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Hey Ron - what a neat posting. All so good. A rescue, a renewed friendship, all win win win. Also love the shots of Red. Handsome dog.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat. I love all animals but the breed that would be my last choice? An Irish Setter. Not because they're bad or anything but they are about the stupidest dog. Our neighbor in Philly used to have one. It barked ALL THE TIME, making our lives miserable the whole eleven years we lived in Philly. This dog didn't bark once. Still, I would never get a RED Irish Setter. But I'm glad we were able to reunite him with his owner.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Sweet story with a wonderful ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nadege. I'm glad too!

      Delete
  5. nice doggie! and how special to re-establish a friendship AND wish a new couple well on their journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day Anne Marie.

      Delete
  6. God, what a happy story all the way around! Thanks! A great end to a rather bad week!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      Yesterday was one of those special days. I'm glad we found the owner of that lost dog and especially glad we patched up the broken friendship with Don.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. What a great story! Best thing i heard all weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      A happy ending to a potential tragedy. We've already lost one dog to Route 1.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. I need to go get my glasses .... It's not Friday 13th again! I need my daily does of Ron :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,
      I decided to take the "Pat" posts down. It's a long story but I did it out of respect for Bill, who is my lifelong love and partner. Sometimes I am very stupid and don't take his feelings into consideration.
      Ron

      Delete
  9. Seems like something is missing... The post about Pats trip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,
      I decided to take down the "Pat" posts out of respect for Bill, who is my lifelong love and who I will always be with. Sometimes I'm not very smart and I take him for granted without considering his feelings. Sometimes I get carried way. A lifelong immaturity that I have, even at 72 years of age.
      Ron

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful dog! I am glad you kept him safe and were able to find his home. Connecting with your old friend is the karma payoff. It's not usually that immediate

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just so you know I didn't think the Pat Posts were disrespectful to Bill at all. You were excited that he was coming, and it's nice to have friends. Imagine at 72 years of age gaining a new friend! We should all be so lucky.

    ReplyDelete