Monday, June 10, 2013

Niagara Falls 1967 - Our "Honeymoon" Pictures

Me on the Canadian side of the border at Niagara Falls - 1967

I have a new goal set for myself at the beginning this summer, where most of the time I'll be inside Casa Tipton-Kelly, escaping from the heat and humidity of the Delmarva peninsula.  And what might that goal be you ask?  To finally sort out the 80,000 plus photos that I have on my iMac in iPhoto.  My God, I'm running out of time and I should organize these photos so once I'm gone and in the big Bloggerpalooza in the sky, whoever settles me estate will know what to throw out, and throw out is what they're going to do, of that I am sure.
Niagara Falls 1967 (my photo)

So, on this monsoon, rainy Monday I went into "Events" on iPhoto and started to split events.  Here is my first sorted event.  This is the first set of photos, actually slides that I converted into a digital image last year.  These are slides images from our "honeymoon" trip to Canada in 1967.  Yes folks, I had a delayed honeymoon just like I'm having a delayed wedding (49 years delayed).  

Yep!  That's me (far left) and one of Bill's famous "distance shots" - The Niagara River 1967

As you will see from these photos, most of which Bill took of me (we was still very enamored of me), they are all in the "Bill Style" in that they are all taken from a great distance.  Bill doesn't believe in closeups or is incapable of taking a closeup picture.  He still is.  The few times I ask him to take a photo of moi, he takes the camera and starts walking backwards as I'm saying "Where are you going?"  He says "I'm getting ready to take a picture of you."  I say "How about getting closer so I can be seen in the picture?" thus starting "can't you do anything right?" scene.

Niagara Falls and the Maid of the Mist - 1967 - It's hard not to take a good picture of Niagara Falls

I'm sorry to say nothing has changed over the years.  Bill still backs up to take a picture when I ask him.  Oh to have someone like Mark around to take photos, imagine all the great photos I would have now, and not just of me of course.

I took this picture from the tower on the Canadian side - 1967

Oh I remember this trip so well.  We started out by driving to Boston, Mass. Then up through Maine and over the border to Canada.  We stayed in Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa.  Since this was before the Digital Age, I really don't have a lot of pictures.  These are from Bill's old Japanese camera. He bought it in Japan while he was stationed there during his Air Force tour of duty in the early Fifties.  

Bill and Johnson Air Force Base Japan 1954 - I was 12 years old and Bill was 25 - little did I know this was my future husband

One thing that was so memorable about this trip was it was the first time we argued. And yes, it was about driving directions.  Bill got mad at me because he didn't think I was proficient enough in reading the map (he drove).  Well, I wasn't proficient.  In fact I hated reading the map. I wasn't familiar with all those roads.  Give me a break.  An again, this was before the Digital Age and GPS.  

Bill at Mt. Fuju - Japan 1954

I remember one time especially, I think it was on the outskirts of Ottawa, and we just couldn't (or I couldn't) find the way to get to our rental place for that night.  I threatened to get out and walk home. Can you believe it?  Somethings never change.  Oh yes, THOSE WERE THE DAYS.

My future husband Bill Kelly at base of Mt. Fuji Japan 1954





12 comments:

  1. 1954 - I was just born! :)

    yep, some things never change. but hoo wee, you should see niagara falls now! we were last there in 2005. you would not recognize it; only the falls remain the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      I would LOVE to see Niagara Falls again. I remember how impressed I was with the falls the first time I saw them. I haven't been to a whole lot of places but the two places that lived up to their reputation were Niagara Falls and San Francisco. Both I would like to revisit.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Photos well taken or not, always bring back nice memories, just like the smell of coffee or freshly baked bread. The Niagara falls photos are really pretty.
    Where will you go for your real honeymoon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      Always good memories, that why I take photos. My only regret is that I didn't take more.

      For our "real" honeymoon we're going to Bill's hometown of Toccoa, Georgia. He is always so happy when he revisits. We'll spend a week there next spring.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Those are awesome pictures. Slide film is hard to beat, you know? I've been to Niagra Falls once as a teenager, we spent a couple of hours there.

    I know what you mean about the pictures. I have a 20 pound box of pictures from dad's house. I have to go through them sooner or later.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      A 20 pound box of pictures? And I thought I had a lot of pictures to go through. I still have a load I haven't even looked at yet, let alone scan. I thought I had all the time in the world to do it but I am running out of time now. I can see it. This has to be my next big project. Sooner is better than later.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Better late than never, when it comes to weddings and honeymoons. The good thing is that you & Bill already had your honeymoon, so you won't have to worry about it after your wedding in July. I'm a real photo buff and I love looking at old photos. Your collection is extremely impressive and the ones of Niagra are spectacular.

    I really laughed when you described Bill taking pictures because that's exactly what my father used to do. He'd keep backing up farther & farther away and my Mom would yell "Where are you going??".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      Oh how often I've said that to Bill "Where are you going?" when he's positioning himself to take a picture of me. He just doesn't know closeups.

      I too love old photos and especially looking at others old photos even though I don't know who those people are. I've been lazy the past year and started to repeat my old photos when it really wasn't necessary because I have so many "new" old photos. That's why I'm organizing them now, to have them ready to post to my blog.

      By the way, I'm glad I make you laugh with my little diatribes. Makes me feel good. You're a good person Jon. We may differ in our political views but I think we have a lot in common. I like you.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. 80K photos? You have more than my Father ! I thought he had the most. Happily they are all organized. I will have a bittersweet time sorting through them when he dies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      Unfortunately many of my pictures are duplicates (which I have to delete during my clean up process) and "useless" pictures of landscapes, trees, and planes in the sky (my father's favorite subject for photo taking). The irony is that once I am done sorting through and organizing my photos, no one will want them. So I'm just doing this for myself while I'm alive. When I'm gone it doesn't matter (any more).

      Ron

      Delete
  6. Purty pictures. I, too, have a ton--though not as many as you--of pics to sort through and keep or toss. Oy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      Thank you. I only post the "putty pictures." Unfortunately, I have a lot of pictures that are basically "useless." They are scenery pictures that really don't mean anything now because they are of trees, horizons, and airplanes flying in the sky (my Pop was fond of taking those kinds of pictures). A friend and former classmate of mine when through all her pictures (in anticipation of her departure from this earthly existence) and threw out all those pictures. I think I will too. That should greatly reduce the amount of pictures that I have left in my library.

      Ron

      Delete