Sunday, June 30, 2013

Getting the Ring

Me checking out wedding rings yesterday at B.J.'s 

Yesterday Bill and I went shopping for the ring.  Yes folks, that time is finally here.  The two old gay guys shopping for a wedding ring.  

July 3rd will mark the 49th anniversary of the day I met Bill at the Westbury Bar in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  I went home with him that night (after he literally swept me off of my feet) and we have been together ever since.  Sure, there have been a few bumps along the road of Our Journey but what relationship doesn't have those ups and downs?  Yep, the past 49 years have been a roller coaster but never once have we stopped loving one another.  

Yesterday Bill came out of his weeklong funk which was caused by our disagreement over who drives the car last Sunday when we made a trip to Pennsylvania.  We're back on board again.

Yesterday we went shopping for The Ring.  We only need one ring because I have my wedding ring.  I bought it in 1970 in lieu of a real wedding ring. For those of you who know me it is that gold band with a single solitary diamond that I've worn for years.  Yep, that is my wedding ring.  But we needed a ring for Bill.

We first stopped at B.J.'s in Millsboro. Saw a few nice rings but they were TOO EXPENSIVE.  Then we went to Dover and stopped at this Pawn Shop that we had visited several years ago.  We found the perfect ring for Bill.  White gold with three diamonds in a channel setting.  




We had to size the ring to Bill's big finger.  We pick up the ring this Wednesday.  

Tomorrow we're going to try and pick up our marriage license in Georgetown.  I don't know if there will be a crowd of LGBT couples there or not since most of the high profile couples already got their civil unions last year.  Those civil unions will automatically convert into marriages next July 1st.  If it is too much of a hassle tomorrow, we'll just go back later in the week or next week.  We don't have to be first in the forefront, we just want to get married.

I think it is appropriate that we got Bill's wedding ring in Dover.  All the years he was in the Air Force and Dover was where I testified twice for marriage equality in Delaware.  

Hey folks, it's finally happening.  Still pinching myself to make sure I'm not dreaming!


10 comments:

  1. I am happy to hear that bill is back. and that you changed your banner to a seasonal photo.

    now ON WITH THE WEDDING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      We're cooking now, now only with getting married but on the beach. Man is it hot and humid down here!

      Stay cool.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. I'm delighted to hear that things are going smoothly and you found the perfect ring for Bill. It's appropriate that the ring should come from Dover.
    Let's hope you'll be able to get the marriage license tomorrow.

    Hey, at least you don't have to worry about picking out a wedding dress!
    (I'm trying to be funny! So why isn't anybody laughing???)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      This should be interesting tomorrow applying for the marriage license. I have no idea whether it will be crowded or hardly anyone there. I hope at least the marriage bureau if finally ready, unlike the last time we went there. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't. They don't call Sussex County, the most southern county in Delaware "Lower Slower" for nothing.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. I'm so excited for you guys! This is awesome!!!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      I cannot accurately describe the level of my excitement. This seems like a dream. Tomorrow we leave early to get our marriage license. I just hope they haven't put up another hurdle for us to jump over.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Big do'ins! Congratulations once again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Walt. Big doings here!

      Ron

      Delete