Monday, June 03, 2013

Black Bean Soup

My Black Bean Soup recipe - and I ate the whole thing (and had seconds!)


One of my very favorite soups is black bean soup, specifically Panera Black Bean Soup.  

I usually get my fix of Panera soups at BJ's in Millsboro but for some reason they're not carrying it anymore (or they're just out).  Probably not carrying it anymore since it is yet another product that I like that a store has stopped stocking.

When I'm out of Panera Black Bean Soup, by backup is the Panera Restaurant on Route One.  But oh how I hate to go there because of the traffic on Route One.  Plus, getting the "party portion" of soup is quite expensive - $12.00 and more.  Also, they throw in the bread (which I don't need and am paying for) and a lot of black plastic spoons and a horde of napkins (which I am also paying for). 


My friend Doug at Panera Bread in Rehoboth Beach, DE
 So what does one do?  I looked up the Panera recipe on the Internet and tried to replicate the their soup.  I wasn't successful.  It tasted like hot dishwater with cumin.  

On this rainy day I really had a hankering for some good black bean soup.  So I took a plunge of faith and made my own recipe.  I took a recipe off of the Internet and took out what I didn't like, put in what I did like and cleaned out some old salsa in my refrigerator.  Guess what?  Viola!  I made the best Black Bean soup I've ever had.  It has that smoky black bean flavor with just the right "kick." Hot damn!
Me at Panera Bread in Greenville, SC with my brother John (yeah, I'm checking my iPhone)


Here is the recipe (give or take some on the measurements - I wasn't exactly exact):

Ron's Black Bean Soup

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon canola oil
1 small red onion chopped
3 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
4 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup Pace Restaurant Style Salsa
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preparation:


  1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
  2. Add chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring, 1 minute more.  Add beans, chicken broth, salsa and salt.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.  Remove from the heat.
  3. Transfer half the soup to a blender and purer.  Stir the puree back into the saucepan.  Serve with sour cream and cilantro if desired.


My big pot of black bean soup - bye bye BJ's and Panera - mine is better!

3 comments:

  1. OOOOOO, that looks GOOD! I think I have some black beans in the cupboard...

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      Feels so good going down in the tummy too!

      Ron

      Delete
  2. I love soup, nearly all times.
    In the midwest, a bowl of soup and slice of good bread on a cool autumn evening was food for the gods. Or at least the demi-gods.

    ReplyDelete