Friday, June 21, 2013

A Slew of Doctor's Visits

My oncologist's office - will visit again today

Folks, you all know I try to think of subjects that are fun and interesting to post to this blog.  However, I have to admit these days it ain't easy.  Oh I know, my grammar isn't perfect but I'm making a point here.

My wish now is to go through a whole week without a doctor's appointment.  I used to tease my Mother during her later years that her social life was visiting doctors.  Oh how little did I know.  Now that I am of that Advanced Age (71), I am there.  Just like Pogo said "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Tomorrow at 8:25 am I have an appointment at my dermatologist's office to have stitches removed from three biopsies taken off of my chest (I have one) and back last Friday.  This isn't the first time I've been to this pony show.

At 11:30 am I have an appointment with my oncologist to have a procedure called a "seed simulation" procedure.  Initially I was freaked out when notified of this procedure (I don't need another invasive procedure in my nether regions) but I was told that this is a CRT to make sure my recent radio-active seed implants didn't "migrate."
Of course the question that is unanswered, what happens if they did migrate?  Are they going back into my nether regions again?  Don't answer that. I don't want to even think about it.


As regular followers of this blog know, I remain good friends with three of my high school classmates of 100 54 years ago (Class of 1959). Just this week here is what is on the Medical Menu for those fine fellows:

Larry: a visit to his doctor for test for his Arthur Itis which has so twisted his right hand he can hardly write legibly.

Stuart: a double knee replacement. He now has "bone on bone". 

Bill:  blasting a giant kidney stone that is stuck in his urethra canal.  Thank God mine passed easily (but not without excruciating "I want to die!" pain).

Oh how I wish I could write about my youthful lustful fantasies but at my age I think most of my hormones have departed for parts unknown.  Oh sure, I can still spot a hot guy but my blood doesn't rush like it used to and images don't appear in my mind of me swinging from the chandeliers with him. 

I'm not one of those gay  straight whatever guys who got married, had a family and now just discovered that they might just be missing SOMETHING big (they are) and now are in a tither (my made up word which is a cross between a "tizzy" and a "dither") about whether they are gay or not?  So many of these sexually confused bloggers venting their unrequited longings on the Net.  Who knew?

Then there are the bloggers who reveal nothing of themselves but write about safe and impersonal subjects, sometimes interesting, sometimes not.  You all know that isn't me. 

So here I am, painted into a corner by my rapidly advancing years, trying like Hell to remain relevant to my younger blogger buddies but the side effects of my advancing years just keep creeping into my life forcing me to face reality. 

Earlier today I was even thinking of changing the title of my blog to "Old Man Retired In Delaware."  But a good friend (and fellow blogger) chastises me everytime I refer to myself as an "old man" but man, come on.  That's what I am.  I'm not complaining.  It is what it is (sorry for the cliche) but there's isn't much I can do about it.  I'm not as mortified at being old as I thought I would be when I was in my Arrogant Youth but I do have face up to the fact that my life seems to revolve around doctor's visits these days.

When I talk to my former school chums, what do we talk about? You got it.  We talk about our medical condition, last doctor's visit and upcoming visits.  We laugh and tease and tell ourselves over and over again "Can you believe we're this old?"  I can't and neither can they. 

Well, one good thing about visiting doctors, it's a helluva lot better than the alternative.


Fairview Cemetery, North Carolina April 2013
3



24 comments:

  1. Well, you could either be writing about the slew of visits, or you could NOT be writing about them because, yeah, the alternative ain't so fun.

    Still, with today being the first day of Summer and the longest day of the year, maybe it's the best day for visits?

    Hang tough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First day of summer Bob! Beautiful day.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,
    Don't know what's bad about calling ourselves old. I sure ain't young. I know that every time I look in the mirror. So what? Everybody either gets old or gets dead. I ain't dead and despite living with varied pains, I ain't all that slow either. As far as youth, been there - done that, now its time to do this seasoned citizen bit. I'm perfectly contented with what I am, which is old, like a fine antique.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,

      I'm in the Beebe Medical Cancer Center waiting room as I type this. Already finished my dermatology appointment this morning. I have no idea how long this is going to take but one thing is for sure, I'll be older when I finally leave here today.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. "...at my age I think most of my hormones have departed for parts unknown. Oh sure, I can still spot a hot guy but my blood doesn't rush like it used to and images don't appear in my mind of me swinging from the chandeliers with him." - sounds like me!

    my grandmother used to say "old is 85 and above". you ain't there yet, so shut up.

    and you have more to write about than MD visits. there's cooking and the hotel and crappy hotel guests and the wedding and posting more of your life pix and and and. so get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne Marie,
    Thanks for reminding me about writing (bitching) about my hotel "adventures". We're in The Season now and those guests aren't letting me down.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:46 PM

    These days over 90 or 95 you're old. My friend Helen at 101 could RUN and get the phone on the second ring and not even
    be out of breath! Unfortunately, she choked to death in the hospital on a "shoeleather" burger on a Saturday afternoon
    waiting for the doctor to release her. She was 103 and sharp as a tack. Her "boyfriend" and livein of 12 years was
    devistated( me too). I was heading over to their house as we were to go out to eat that evening.
    So at 71 ( four years older than me ) you're only as old as you let yourself be. You look great I'd think you might be
    in your 50's just to pass you on the street. Don't dwell on these little health issues. Your ticker is still ticking and your
    knoggin is still coherent so you ain't dead yet. It's a fight to live! You have to have the will to live and you will live.
    And, hey, Bill needs you! We readers need you ! Thank you for blogging every day. You jog my memory or pull at my
    heart strings all the time. Stuart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stuart,

      Thank you for your comments. You have uplifted me. I was a bit down facing yet another round of doctor's visits. I had good news this morning though. My dermatologist told me that the three biopsies that were taken (cut off of my body last week) were all non-cancerous. Then he (his assistant actually) asked "Are you ready for a full body scan or do you want to take a break?" Of course I said I would take a break. I just want to go a few weeks (or months) without another visit to the doctors' office. Thus my next dermatology appointment is in January.

      You are right in that we are only as old and we let ourselves be. I see people younger than me who look so much older (like today when I got my haircut), which reminds me again that I am "on of the lucky ones" and should count my blessings.

      Thanks again Stuart for all your kind words and thoughts.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. You are danged right the alternative is a bitch! lol
    I'd much rather be perpendicular in a cemetery snapping photos....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here slug mama, I would rather be walking through a cemetery than laying in one!

      Ron

      Delete
  7. The Fairview Cemetery is such a beautiful place. Love the stone bench on the side for meditation. Don't suppose you want to be buried there though, considering the anti-gay attitude of the area.

    David

    PS: I like the storm clouded view of your neighborhood. What are the roses and fence covering up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,

      The irony of Fairview Cemetery is that it is in such a beautiful and tranquil setting but so many hateful and intolerant people live in the area. I doubt if there is one person or family that would accept a gay couple living in that area. Fairview Cemetery wasn't too far from my cousin's place where he threatened me if I visited his parents ("step foot on their land") because of my "gay lifestyle." You're right, no way in this world would I ever be buried there. Maybe a hundred years or so from now that area of the country will catch up with modernity and recognize diversity. Not now though.

      The fence and clematis are covering up our transformer. Bill hated to see the transformer right out in front of the house. We tried Pampas grass but that was too much to take care of so Bill put that fence in and I planted the clematis vines.

      Ron

      Delete
  8. Anonymous6:38 PM

    It is not (mainly) age; it is also too much preventive medicine these days. How many of these doctor visits have to do with what could be considered medical problems in, say, 1960? It can be argued that all these tests and procedures are exactly the reason people can live now many years, but I am not so sure. Maybe a part of them is just business. Enjoy summertime, maybe next season they will devise a fresh battery of new tests to frighten ageing people (and younger guys as well) more and more. Juan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Juan!

      I suspect that sometimes all these medical appointment and procedures are over preventative. I don't always take them all. I've turned some down in the past, the ones that just didn't make sense. I'll write a blog posting about those someday.

      I'm free today, the first day of summer, to enjoy the rest of the summer without doctor's visits. And I will.

      Ron

      Delete
  9. You know, hearing about life in the later years isn't a bad thing for me. It can help take the mystery and perhaps drama out of some of the things I may well have to experience. It might be pretty, but hey, I'd rather know what's possible than go into it blind as you have, in many cases.

    I can figure that I'll have melanomas that have to be removed, and at least one knee replaced - and maybe a shoulder (UGH! HORRIBLE SURGERY AND MONTHS AND MONTHS OF REHAB!!!!). Who knows what else. My youthful (pot) smoking may well catch up to me in lung cancer (my dad was pissed he had lung cancer because "I quit smoking 30 years ago" - yeah, dad, but you smoked for 40 before that.

    It's all a crap shoot. I just hope that when my time comes, it's quick. BLAM! (That's the sound of me hitting the floor dead.) No lingering, no life support, no diapers...just gone, thank you very much.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      Follow my blog and I'll keep you informed on Life in the Later Years. There really isn't much mystery. It's pretty much downhill. It's just a matter of hanging on and trying to minimize the pain, humiliation and expense of getting older. Perhaps my biggest fear is being dependent on someone and I just don't know who that would be since Bill is thirteen years older than me.

      Life is a crap shoot, of that there is no doubt. I've been luckier than most and for that I am most appreciative.

      Ron

      Delete
  10. At 71 I don't consider you old. I'm 62 just a little younger than you are. Yeah I'm not as "potent" sexually either anymore but that doesn't prevent (like you I'm guessing) from turning my head at a good looking man. When we stop doing that I guess we'll really be over the hill. I wish you all the best with your health issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stan,

      Oh I can still appreciate a little "eye candy" every now and then. If the opportunity presented itself for doing more than looking, I doubt if I could perform with the vigor and lust that I did in my younger days. But I will never stop looking and occasionally, fantasizing.

      Ron

      Delete
  11. Don't ever change your blog title to "Old Man Retired in Deleware". It's far too restrictive. Besides, I've never though of you as being old. Our bodies might be falling apart but we're all kids at heart.

    I wish I had the guts to reveal everything in my blog. I tell a helluva lot of personal things, but not nearly enough. Part of me likes to remain mysterious. The biggest drawback is that almost all of my readers are innocent middle-aged farm ladies who've never been ten miles away from the homestead. They are still guessing whether I'm gay or straight - - so I usually feign a happy medium. Those who dare to read between the lines have undoubtedly guessed the truth.

    Wait until I write my tell-all book.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      No worries, I won't ever change the title of my blog. I was lucky that "Retired in Delaware" was available. I'll keep it until some unscrupulous person figures out a way to steal it from me, which I'm surprised hasn't been done already.

      My references to me being older are, of course tongue in cheek. I really am not upset about it other than what medical maladies await me. I just hope they aren't too painful, humiliating or prolonged before I check out of this journey called Life.

      A lot of personal information I don't disclose in my blog for the same reason as you. For some reason I don't understand, I seem to also have a substantial, straight middle aged woman following. I know I definitely don't have a lesbian following and no way do I have a young, gay male following. I was a Young Gay once (believe it or not) and I know I wouldn't have followed an old fairy. I don't want them following me anyway because my experiences with young gays is that they are only after one thing a Sugar Daddy and that I am not. Been there, done that and it sucks (pardon the pun).

      Ron

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the light hearted approach to passing years. You do speak from the heart and it is refreshing. I like to get to know people through their posts. i try myself to show my humanness and vulnerability. Keep up the honest and reflective posts! Thinking of you in these more challenging times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,

      I always keep it real, sometimes to the chagrin of some of my friends and relatives who would prefer to keep "personal matters" under wraps. I say "Why?" It is what it is.

      Ron

      Delete
  13. Yes, a sign of 'you've gotten to that age" is when you start conversing about your health, particularly your bowels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      "We're" definitely talking about our bowels these days. You should hear the conversations that take place at our annual class reunions. All health issues, all the time. Yes, we have turned into our parents. :)

      Ron

      Delete