Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Supreme Court Strikes Down DOMA

The brave lady who started it all - thank you Edith!

YES!  I can't believe it.  I'm still trying to absorb the full impact of the Supreme Court ruling today that struck down the discriminatory DOMA law that banned same sex marriage.  

The first thought that comes to my mind is "So this is what freedom feels like."  

I have yet another "moment" that I will remember the rest of my life where I was when I heard this news.  Damn, this is a GOOD feeling.

This means that when Bill and I get married we will have the same respect and legal protections that heterosexual couples have taken for granted for millennia.  We also will have 1,138 Federal benefits. Man oh man.  I can't believe that I have the option to file a joint tax return with Bill.

No longer will Bill and I be considered less than equal.  For this to happen in my lifetime is still hard for me to absorb.  I can't stop smiling.




So much to think of.  So many changes.  First I'm going to have to get used to referring to Bill as "my husband."  You know folks, every time I heard heterosexuals refer to their "husband" or "wife" I always had a twinge of envy and also feeling less than because I had to refer to Bill as "my partner", like I was in a business relationship. At least "my partner" was an improvement over "my lover" which was how we gays used to refer to our partners back in the old pre-Stonewall days.  

I'm also happy for my LGBT friends who have children.  They too will now be treated equally and not as "less than."  

Now I'm wondering if my local representative, Stephen Smyk (R-Del) will finally acknowledge me as his constituent and answer my mail.  Who knows?  Maybe he'll get on the right side of history and recognize that Bill and I are equal.  Next time when he knocks on my door asking my support because he is the "family values candidate", he will include my family.  







12 comments:

  1. It's a great day.
    Great. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great feeling Bob. I'm still smiling. Can't stop.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. I'm happy for you, Ron! And for my country which is trying to stabilize toward equal rights. Lot of turbulence, distractions, navigational errors, but the compass is there. We just have to consult it. A great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo.,

      History was made today. I'm glad I lived long enough to see it. The rest of my life is gravy now.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Randy in NEB2:04 PM

    Ron, Even after almost 50 years you both still are a very cute and handsome couple. I'm still looking. Randy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Randy. You're a sweet man and I am looking forward to meeting you.

      Have a great day!

      Ron

      Delete
  4. I AM HAPPY FOR ALL MY BOYFRIENDS TODAY! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling good Anne Marie.!
      Ron

      Delete
  5. A great day!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am curious to know: does Bill feel the same joy about all this as you?

    It was recently pointed out to me 'here's another example of a strong woman kicking butt and making history !"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      In a word "Yes!" We're back on. We picked out a ring for Bill today. I've had my ring for over 40 years, waiting.

      By the way, I LOVE Edith Windsor. Ever see her speak? She is the perfect spokeswoman because she's not one of those "professional gays." Then again neither Bill and I are professional provocateurs.

      Ron

      Delete