Friday, June 28, 2013

One Fine Day

Where I met Bill, the Westbury Bar, Philadelphia PA 1964
One fine day July 3rd, 1964


"One fine day".  

This July 3rd will mark the date 49 years ago that I met my lover partner husband to be Bill Kelly.

We met at the Westbury Bar in Philadelphia.  The Westbury Bar was located at the corner of 15th and Spruce Streets in Center City Philadelphia.


The Westbury - 2009 (on corner at 15th and Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA)

I've already recounted the circumstances of our meeting in several previous blogs postings so I won't tell that story again.  However, what I will tell now that as I come up on this date of our meeting almost a half a century ago I am again reminded of how very lucky I am to have met such a man.  

Bill with "Sparky" - 1969 - Philadelphia, PA


I am not a religious person ("man made religion") but I do consider myself a spiritual person who believes that every one of us is here for a reason and a purpose.  I feel as if I was preordained to meet this person called "Bill."  

Perhaps others may have a more dramatic and glamorous calling in life that is extolled by millions of followers and fans.  However, I am convinced that my "calling", however humble was and is just as dramatic and glamorous.  One thing I do know for sure.  The past forty nine years of my life have been one glorious ride.  Of course there have been a few "bumps" along the way but this is my life.  I think we all are presented with challenges and how we deal with those challenges.  


Westbury Bar - bartenders - 1980 - the last year I went to this bar

Perhaps next month we will formalize our "partnership"with a marriage and thus have the respect, dignity and legal protections our society provides for married folks.  I say "perhaps", because Bill still continues to have issues but we will work through these "issues" as we have so many times in the past.

Last night I found this website site about Philadelphia gay neighborhoods.  The pictures posted on this blog of the Westbury Bar 


Westbury Bar from Spruce Street (with awning) - 1950 - I stood on this corner many a Saturday night

I took from that website.  Looking at these pictures reminds me of a more innocent time, a time when I was just beginning my life with my Prince Charming.  What a good feeling.  I am so lucky.


14 comments:

  1. a great carole king song fer sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      I didn't know "One Fine Day" was a Carole KIng song. Interesting. I love this song. Don't like Carole King (her singing) but she did write a 'fine" song.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ah, how times have changed, and it's great to say, for the better!

    Happy Early Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      Young gays don't realize how "it was" back "in the day." Sometimes I think it was a dream too.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. "I was just beginning my life with my Prince Charming. What a good feeling. I am so lucky." Your are blessed for sure. Love these nostalgic trips you take us on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff. Sometimes I hesitate posting them but I feel the urge and it does feel good to reflect and relive the origin of my (mostly) happy life. I know I am so fortunate. I feel like I'm living on borrowed time. Perhaps that's why I go back so often. Hope you all don't mind.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Meant to be? Certainly, when we find meaning for ourselves and each other, love informs meaning. Why society and the law had so much trouble with it baffles me. But things are changing for the better today --and that's one fine day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo.,

      I have never understood why so many people (straight) who don't even know me are so concerned with how I live my life. Why do they feel so threatened? All I've ever wanted was to be left alone. I feel like most of my life has been playing "dodge ball."

      Ron

      Delete
  5. What a lovely tribute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      Thank you sir!

      Ron

      Delete
  6. You are indeed very fortunate to have found a lifelong partner. I truly hope that Bill will be gently persuaded into legalizing this nearly-fifty year relationship. I'm cautiously optimistic. If persuasion doesn't work, perhaps a shotgun will help......?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      Oh I know I am VERTY fortunate to have found a lifelong partner. The Road to Happiness hasn't always been smooth but it has been worth it. Bill and I picked out his ring today. We're back on. This is wonderful!

      Ron

      Delete
  7. I worked there as a bartender during that time. I met my man there 40 years ago. We've been married for 2 years. The two bartenders in the picture are Chuck and Jack. Good times !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Paul. You're right, "good times" were had at the Westbury. Many fond memories. My formative years. Changed my life. I'm glad yours worked out well too.
      Ron

      Delete