Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Christmas Cards




My favorite Christmas tradition is addressing Christmas cards. 

I love keeping in touch with long time friends, former co-workers, relatives whom I haven't seen in years.  Maybe too just let them know I'm still alive. Maybe just to wish them a peaceful and joyous Christmas season.  Whatever the reason, I truly do enjoy preparing my Christmas card list. Checking the list, whose on and who is off. 

Each year I tell myself that I'm going to par down my list.  I sort of did this year. 

I'm not so concerned about only sending cards to those who send me cards. There are a few individuals who I send cards every year who I have never received a card from.  One being the guy who was my first sexual fling with when I was in the Army.  I haven't seen him since 1962 and I'm sure he doesn't care a whit about me now but I will always remember him. I don't even know if he is married or has a family but I do know he is still alive.  I have a way of checking that, the Social Security Death Index on Ancestry.com.

The past few years too many of my long time friends and former co-workers have appeared on that death index. I check when I no longer receive a Christmas card from them. That makes me sad. 

Also during these past few years I have made new friends and they are now on my list. That makes me happy.

Looking at me in this video I've posted at the top of this blog post reminds me of how much I am like my father. My mouth hangs open like his did in his later years. I walk like him. I have mannerisms like him.  I'm turning into my father!



10 comments:

  1. Hey Ron - loved the video. Glimpses into your personal life. I like doing Christmas cards too. I plan to do mine this Friday when I'm off. Yes - nothing like a little Christmas music playing, some coloured lights and decorations to set the mood. When I was young the tradition of card sending was stronger. I even worked with the Post Office one season assisting delivering mail. At home we had so many cards we ran of table tops to set them on so hung them on strings. Even tho I communicate with some friends of the past at this time only - I nonetheless think of them occasionally throughout the year.
    And your house looks so warm and friendly. What a nice setting to do your cards.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. This is the kind of blog post I like to post, a glimpse into my home life. That's the kind of blogs I like to read. Can't find too many of them though. Wonder why.
      I love my home. Worked my whole live to get where I am now and this home. I grew up in an apartment so I really appreciate having my own home. All paid for too!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,

    I just finished addressing the cards I am sending out this year today, too.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Bout time Lar. (smile)
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I love the tradition of sending handwritten Christmas cards via snail mail. Unfortunately, the ease of email and the astronomical cost of postage and cards has nearly rendered this tradition extinct.
    As a child, I always savored the beautiful Xmas cards which my parents would string up in rows as a decoration in the living room. Do people still do this anymore??

    Your video has a "homey" feeling, and I like the accompanying music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon. I'm considering pulling back on my Christmas card mailing because of the expense. But I do so like keeping in touch.
      Growing up my family wasn't big on Christmas cards. In fact I don't even remember any being strung up. I started sending Christmas cards when I was fifteen years old. Except for the three years I was in the Army, I've always sent Christmas cards. I used to put up a tree and buy presents and bake cookies. However, those traditions for me have fallen by the wayside and these days I just do the Christmas cards, which I so enjoy. I'll probably do them until I can no longer function.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. I'm only 46, and I have an address book already filled with friends who are no longer with us. I don't bother to pencil them out as I like to be reminded of them. -silly, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bea,
      Oh, to be 46 again. Appreciate every day you have Bea. By the way, I also don't remove the names and addresses of my friends who are no longer alive. I too like to be reminded of them. I was going to delete them from my address book but I felt bad about it so I left them there, to remind me of them. It isn't silly.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. I admire your industry to write out christmas cards. Other than my parents (and some quaint old aunts) it seems no one does these anymore. When one arrives, I feel grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've pared my list quite a bit but some will always stay on my list. It's a tradition for over a half a century. My only way of staying in touch with those special people in my past lives.

      Delete