Sunday, December 25, 2016

Christmas 2016



Merry Christmas everyone!

Well, here we are at yet another Christmas. 

This is a special Christmas for me because it is the first time in years that I haven't had to work Christmas Day.  

I cannot remember the last time I didn't work Christmas Day.  I have to tell you it's sort of nice.  In fact it is VERY nice.

Bill and I will spend a quiet day here at Casa Tipton-Kelly, which is just the way we like it. You could say we're spending Christmas the way you would expect two old (very old) gay men to spend Christmas Day, alone sans the kids and family. Which is just fine with us.  Not that we have anything against those who want to fill their Christmas Day with screaming little monsters kids running around the house, running into your legs. Crazy uncles (or aunts) at the dinner table ranting about their crazy assed political views.  Oh no, we don't need THAT.  

Hillbilly Christmas Dinner - the kind I USED to attend

Most of all we don't need the Christmas present exchange.  Hey, Christmas presents are fine for those who want to do it but we got out of that Christmas Trap years ago.  I send Christmas cards, which I enjoy doing very much, but that activity in addition to stringing up a couple of strands of colorful lights over the fireplace is as far as we go for celebrating Christmas.  

I discovered years ago the best thing about Christmas for the both of us is just being together and enjoying the peace and quiet.  

Peace, after all isn't that what Christmas is all about?  

Merry Christmas everyone and a very happy and HEALTHY New Year!  

9 comments:

  1. It's not my day, Ron. I was in the process of writing a comment on your blog an hour ago, when there was a power failure. I lost everything on my computer. When the power finally came back on, Google gave me a hard time when I tried to sign into my account. I had to give phone verification for my password! HUMBUG!!!

    Anyway - - I enjoyed watching the videos. It looks like a perfectly sunny and brisk Christmas Day in your neck of the woods. It's still foggy and dreary here in Hillbilly Country, and very mild - in the 60's. This warm weather won't last long.
    You have the right idea about Christmas - - it should be a simple day spent with those we love. No need for gift-giving, screaming kids, obnoxious relatives, or political rants.

    BTW - I got your Christmas card yesterday (mail delivery is slow here in the wilderness). Thanks so much for thinking of me. Take it easy and enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      You just got my Christmas card? Wow, that is SLOW delivery. (smile) By the way, when I finish my book "Hillbilly Elegy", I'm sending it to you. You (and I) can identify. By the way, I hope you don't take offense to me using the term "Hillbilly." As I have often said, my father used to refer to me as "half a hillbilly" and indeed I am, and proud of it.
      Christmas to me should be simple day spent with those we care about. Absolutely no need for gift giving, screaming kids running around (never again) and obnoxious relatives and political rants. Unfortunately that's one reason I don't go to my brother's (Isaac) for Christmas.
      Enjoy this mild weather. By the way, how many possums are you feeding now?
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Glad you didn't have to work! Mike and I spent our holiday the same way - enjoying the day with no drama. Happy Holidays and I really enjoy your blog. Janice (Iberostar)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice (Iberostar),
      Thank you for your comment! So nice to hear from new folks. Yes, I do enjoy the holidays without drama. The best part of Christmas. Have a wonderful (and healthy) New Year!
      Ron

      Delete
  3. All the best to you and Bill! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy (remainder of ) festive hols, Ron. I'm just getting back into the swing of things so I can give 2016, this most miserable of years, a hefty kick up the arse as a 'Good riddance!' farewell. Let's all hope that 2017 is much better, or at the very least, not as bad, even though the outlook is hardly promising.
    Best wishes as ever to you and Bill - and whomsoever else you wish to extend it to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the joy of discovering that holidays could be enjoyed without stress and drama - I rather enjoy it this way. Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our families are over 1000 miles away and that still feels too close LOL! We go back every 3 years and it is utter chaos! I am so happy to be home and keep the holidays simple!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hohoho
    may 2017 be splendid for you both!

    ReplyDelete