Saturday, December 03, 2016

Health Issues Update


Bill is gaining his strength but is still weak.  

Today I made one of his favorite dishes, a bowl of egg salad with plenty of mayo. Bill's loves mayo. He loves egg salad. And both are very easy for Bill to swallow.  

Yesterday I spent a good part of the morning following up with the VA Choice program to get an authorization number so an appointment can be made with the gastroenterologist that the doctor at the hospital recommended that Bill see within two days.  By the way, we're past the two days already but if we can just get that number and his appointment, I won't complain. 

I have to admit I'm trying not to slip into that Dark Hole of depression.  Once you pass all the hurdles for the VA health care system, they take good care of you (I know from experience when I was unemployed and had no health insurance).  But man oh man, the bureaucratic maze that one has to navigate through to get THERE.  Hopefully I'll have better news to report next week.

Yesterday I had more bad news. Not to make someone else's bad news about me, but my longtime good friend (since third grade) Larry received a diagnosis that he has ALS, more commonly known as Lou Gehrig's Disease.  

See HERE for Larry's blog posting.

Larry notice about six months ago he had trouble walking. He said he was "walking like an old man."  Well, we both "walk like old men" being 75 years old both of us.

Thus Larry got on the Medical Treadmill to find out the cause of his coordination problem. Yesterday, after months of tests, he received his answer at the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital.





I just got off FaceTime with Larry. He is doing well. He says he's just going to continue to live his life as he has been doing for the past seventy-five years.  With some "accommodations" of course. 


Larry on FaceTime a few minutes ago - we had a good two hour talk - this is what friends are for

Life goes on. 

6 comments:

  1. A smile and a tear. I grew up on mayonnaise sandwiches as my mother preferred playing Bridge to cooking. I have a fondness for 'Dukes'. I left a comment once on your friend Larry's blog. I hope this diagnosis puts the puzzle together for him and he can plan ahead. You really never know what tomorrow brings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is to wishing you less bureaucracy, more health. It isn't easy, that is why Bill is so lucky to have you there with him. I finally figured out why he wore the hat in the hospital - yeah I can be clueless that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love egg salad too
    Get well Bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dr. Spo for your good wishes for Bill. Oh does Bill ever love egg salad. Anything with mayonnaise he loves, especially egg salad. I'm glad I can provide these small pleasures for him.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Randy in NEB.3:50 AM

    Ron, I'm so sorry to hear about the health scare with your Bill. I'm glad he's getting better. Now don't you get sick or injured again. Take care. Randy in NEB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Randy for your good wishes for Bill. Hey, believe me I'm being very careful not to fall and injure myself. Bill needs me now. And I'm hoping and praying that I don't get sick. Perilous times here Randy. Don't you get sick either!
      Ron

      Delete