Monday, November 16, 2015

Better Days Ahead - Christmas in Philly



Center City Philadelphia - our destination at the end of this month

While I process the latest atrocity perpetuated on innocent people by the Muslim religious extremists, I am heartened by the good in the overwhelming majority of people on this planet.

I will never understand why some people want to kill and destroy and justify their actions by some twisted religious belief.  Of course the whole history of humankind on this earth has had this scourge.  

All my life there has been this threat of destruction hanging over our heads.  I remember clearly when I was in grade school, we were told to huddle under our desks if and when the atomic bomb fell. 

Our nation has been at war with some country for the whole seventy-four years of my life.  However, with age comes maturity.  I realize that as long as I am on this earth there will be somebody who will want to destroy me and my way of life. That is a fact.  So what do I do?  What do we do?  We live.
I live.

Thus, I will share this news with you.  At the end of this month I will visit my former home in Philadelphia.  From 1969 to 1980 Bill and I lived in Philadelphia.  In many ways they were the best years of my life.  Those years were the formative years of my life.  But then came a time to move. 

As I have moved to different phases of my life I've often thought how I would like to have my friends from those phases of my life to meet each other.  Well folks, that dream will come true this November 30th.

My longtime good friend Larry M. (friend since 3rd grade!) will pick me up at my home here in southern Delaware.  After a walk on the trail at the Primehook National Wildlife Refuge, Lar will take me to Philadelphia.

In Philadelphia Larry will drop me off at my longtime good friend Don McK.  I've known Don since the early 70's, when we worked together at several banks (Girard, Mellon, and First Fidelity) in center city Philly.  Coincidentally Larry also had a career as a banker, Wilmington Trust. I will be staying the week at a suite at Don's co-operative. Thus Larry, a friend from a Previous Life, will meet my friend Don from another Previous Life.

Me and my longtime friend Don last month during my one day visit to Philadelphia

The next day my new friend, Pat F. from Toronto, will arrive at Philadelphia International Airport.  Pat will join me at the suite at Don's co-op.  

Pat, Larry and I at our annual Old Time Photo session

Pat, Don and I will have a festive week in Philly. At the end of the week Larry will pick up me and Pat and take us to a Christmas celebration near his hometown of Claymont Delaware.  Then Larry will drop Pat off at Philly International Airport.

Life goes on folks.  While threats about all around us, we're living life and demonstrating to the world goodwill and peace. 


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great time! I know you are vegetarian. but we always put that aside for a cheese steak or an Italian sub from the Claymont Sub Shop in Claymont, DE. I grew up around that area and so did my husband - we always make it a stop - good memories from a gentler time. So happy for you! Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iberostar,
      Small world! My friend Larry frequents the Claymont Sub Shop often. I used to love subs but my body doesn't now. I could eat a whole one but would pay the price for days afterward. I liked your statement "good memories from a gentler time." Ah yes, those sweet memories. And I used to think those were boring times. I would love to have those times again.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fun week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      The four of us will have a grand time, that I can guarantee.
      Ron

      Delete