Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving Day - 2015

Mom preparing dinner for the family 1975

Well, here we are, another Thanksgiving Day.

Today I go to work at the hotel at 2:30 PM.  The hotel is full today unlike previous years when we only had a few grandparent types staying at the hotel.  They're in town to visit their kids and grandkids but stay at the hotel because as they all tell me "We love our grandkids but we can't take them 24/7."  Oh how well I understand.  The older I get the more all that noise and jumping up and down like Mexican jumping beans just rattles my nerves.  I like Thanksgiving just the way it is here today . . . . quiet.  Ah, peace and tranquility.  

Bill (far left) with my nieces and nephew and brother) 1975


However, I do get nostalgic on Thanksgiving.  Back when both of my parents were alive, Mom would bake up a big Thanksgiving dinner of roast turkey, mashed potatoes, homemade gravy (my Mom made the BEST homemade gravy - SLURP!), corn, string beans, cranberry sauce and stuffing (of course).  My Mom also made the best celery stuffing.  Dessert was on of her homemade pies.  Oddly enough, my Mom never mastered the art of making a good pie crust.  Her pie crusts always tasted like cardboard with Crisco.  But the filling (cherry, apple or pumpkin) was always good.

Mom getting her hair style by her niece Vickie with my sisters-in-law looking on - 1975

The family would gather around the small table she had in the dining room.  The dining room table was only used about two times a year.  Once for Thanksgiving and the other for Christmas dinner.  

Grandpa (my father) with his nieces Vickie and Nancy - 1975

My brothers and their wives would be at the table and me and Mom and Pop of course.  The kids were at the Kid's Table.  

Pop getting "antlered" by his niece Vickie - 1975 

Sadly, those days are gone.  But you know what folks, those memories will live forever.  Including my Mom's cardboard pie crusts. 

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!


10 comments:

  1. And a happy day to you and all those taking refuge at the hotel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you Michael. I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving. We had a full house at the hotel. All happy including me.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Nice that you opened your photo collection for us. :)
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fit Studs,
      I've shared these photos before but they're worth showing again for my new blog readers I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving. Now to Christmas.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I suggest you bring that bear today to work and have him greet everyone Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Oh sure. Actually that's not a bad idea. Frank goes with me on my trips though. He insists.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindi,
      Thank you! I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving too.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Hey Ron - those shots are great. Sooo 70s. Interestingly enough I caught a bit of TV the other day. There was a sitcom right after Big Bang that involved a family in a 70s setting. And those pics you included - especially of your mom with the red apron - would have meshed completely with the productions presentation of that era. Of course, your mom was the real deal with clothing and hair and green ceramic tiles etc. And also the exaggerated colouring of the photos just adds to the flavour.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pat,
      The 70's was my time. All good memories forever embedded in my memory bank. The coloring of the photos was real. And those green tiles. Would you believe that my parents had the same green tiles in the bathroom? Wow. Must have had a sale on green tiles.
      Ron

      Delete