Friday, November 27, 2015

Black Friday and Hotel Thanksgiving Memories



Ah ha!  Today is Black Friday. And as you can see (or read), I am sitting at my iMac blogging about it.  And that is the way I plan to spend this day.

Last night, as I left work at 11:30 PM I saw the steady stream of headlights streaming down Route One to the Rehoboth outlet malls.  Oh yes!  No way Jose Joseph (we are nothing if not politically correct here).  

Actually, I don't do any Christmas shopping. I gave up on that tradition years ago when my nieces and nephew grew up.  I used to shop for my Mom, who birthday was on Christmas Eve, but since she died (2010), I no longer had a need to shop.  

Bill and I have everything we need.  We have each other.  We have a beautiful home in a wonderful neighborhood with fabulous neighbors.  What more could we ask Santa for?  Oh well, maybe to get rid of our arthritis and (wishful thinking) to get back my youthful looks.  But folks, those days of a limber body and fresh faced innocent looks are just fond memories now in the (very) distant past.

I had a very quiet Thanksgiving yesterday at the hotel, even though the place was full.  One thing about Thanksgiving Day hotel guests, they are invariably nice and very low maintenance.  The only glitch I had was a call to clear a clogged toilet.  Oh yes, the worst call a hotel front desk agent could receive.  I . HATE . TO . PLUNGE . CLOGGED . TOILETS. 

And wouldn't you know it, I couldn't accomplish that nasty task.  Plunge as I might . . . . nada.  I had to call Mike, my manager.  Thank goodness he had just finished his Thanksgiving family dinner.  Thank goodness he is good natured.  

I asked him where was the snake.  Oh yes, this toilet required "the snake."  After some difficulty I found "the snake" in the maintenance office.  

Back to the hotel room, where the guests (an older couple) were waiting.  Oh how I love to plunge a toilet while the guests are in the room.  And I know you want to know if there was any shit fecal matter. There wasn't (thank goodness).  Just some toilet paper (thank goodness).

Mike came, saw and did some MAJOR plunging.  Turned off the water and then flushed the toilet while we held our breath.  This HAD TO WORK because we had no other rooms to house the guests. 

Well, I know you hanging on with baited breath.  IT worked!  And that folks is why Mike gets paid the Big Bucks.  Thus another Working at the Hotel on Thanksgiving Day is a memory.  

Folks, I DO live a very interesting life.

9 comments:

  1. Hey Ron - Happy Saint Black Day - patron saint of shopping. Really enjoyed the toilet story. Manager Mike is a nice even tempered guy - I've met him. This actually is a great day to stay away from the stores. Interesting I guess if you just want the experience of a lot of people - and not the panic of having to get that one item before it sells out. And Happy Thanksgiving Day to all - we had ours last month up here in Canada.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I am so lucky to have Mike for my boss. You're right, he is a very even tempered guy. He's the best! Shopping on Black Friday. Haven't done it for over thirty years and I don't intend to start now. No way, no how.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. I'm with you once my nephew and nieces grew up present buying pretty much stopped and my Mom is too hard to please so a gift card from Longhorns takes care of that. Still with a partner addicted to Evine Live it can be Christmas every month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Thank goodness Bill is very low maintenance. He doesn't want anything. I'm the high maintenance one in this relationship.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. After consuming mega Thanksgiving dinners yesterday, I have no doubt that many people are plunging their toilets today (I just couldn't resist).
    You and Mike seem to have been the unsung Hotel Heroes of Turkey Day.
    I don't exactly know what "unsung" means, but I figured it was a good time to use it. Amusing story, Ron!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Mike is a gem. All bosses should be like him. He's helped me many a time.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. The management of running a hotel - I can only imagine the stories. I appreciate you share some here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      The stories I could tell from my fifteen years of hotel work. I dare not though while I'm still working. Maybe when I retire, which I doubt will every happen. I'll be working at the front desk until I kneel over.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. I hope you are taking notes for this sensational tell-all book.

      Delete