Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Much To Be Thankful For



Here we go folks, another Thanksgiving Day is almost here.  

As my previous seventy-fours years of life, I have much to be thankful for.  As I enter my seventy-fifth year here is a spontaneous list of just some of the reasons I have to be thankful for.  Be warned my list is not politically correct nor in any particular order:

I am thankful:

That I am an American. While we have many problems in our country, I still would rather be an American than any other nationality. 

That I am gay.  I never once in my life regretted being born gay.  I have always felt that I was given a "gift" to live my life as a gay man.

My husband, Bill.  For the past fifty-one years I have led a charmed life with a man who has loved me without qualification. 

My home.  All my life I dreamed of having exactly the home I have now.  And I am so thankful that it is paid for. NO MORTGAGE!

That I can walk.  After my fall last winter which severed my quadricep muscle, I feared that I would never walk normal again.  Walking has always been one of my treasures and I have it back again.  I am SO THANKFUL.

My jobs.  All my jobs.  I've been working since I was ten years old when my Mother told me (when I was in third grade) "You're going to work."  She got me a paper boy job (which I loved, probably the best job I've ever had in my life).  I have worked non-stop since and will continue to work until I can no longer walk and my brain no longer functions.  My goal is to never completely retire.

My friends. Both long-time and new friends and especially my Special Friend Pat. All my life I was on a search for "someone like me" and two years ago I found him, or he found me.  Someday I will tell that whole story of our meeting but for now I have someone who is totally unselfish, caring and fun to be with.  All my life I knew I would meet him.  The wait was long but worth it.  I will not end my days alone.

My health.  Although I live with arthritis, that gradually grows worse, I can still manage.  My prostate cancer and kidneys stone days are behind me (I hope). I look forward to living many more days active and healthy.

The Republican Clown Show presidential candidates.  Oh yes, the current crop of Republican presidential candidates virtually assure that another Democrat will be elected president and thus assure that no more Republican conservatives will be appointed to the Supreme Court during my lifetime.  

And lastly, I am thankful that I live in a country that not only has freedom of religion but freedom FROM religion.  We live in a world today where may religious extremists foment against anyone who doesn't adhere to their religious views. 


The first Thanksgiving was held by Pilgrims who came to this country for religious freedom.  Ironically they didn't tolerate anyone in their community who didn't adhere to their strict religious views. And today, we have those in this world (Muslim religious extremists) who seek to destroy us because we're the infidels. 

My wish to everyone who reads this blog is a very safe, healthy and happy Thanksgiving.  

12 comments:

  1. Ron - you nailed it. That's really a great list of things to be thankful for. I would think that I would have something similar. Including being a proud American. I haven't got that sorted out yet - but I feel like one. Love Canada too of course. Hope it's a lovely weekend for you and all your readers. And Larry - concerning the last blog post - thank you for your positive thoughts on me at the Whisky A Go Go. It would be incredible to be up there with a band simply knowing all those who went before -but I don't think I'd trust myself to do anything solo.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      You are actually half American because your mother was American. You have the best of both worlds, Canada and America. And Pat, I think you would do just fine soloing at the Whiskey. I'll "volunteer" you when we visit in January.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. I am thankful for a lot with one being able to read daily the window into your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,
      Thank you so much. I also am thankful for blogs like yours, always an inspiration and brightens my day.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. You have a wonderful list of blessings, Ron, and you certainly deserve them. Have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jon. You have a wonderful Thanksgiving too with your feline friends!
      Ron

      Delete
  4. All the best to you too, Ron. Of course the event has no significance on this continent but as it means so much to Americans I cannot, and wouldn't wish to, withhold my heartfelt wishes for you and yours.
    Counting ones blessings is never less than a salutary experience too. Maybe we also ought to have such a day for reflection, instead of tagging the exercise onto other public holidays.
    Btw: Thanks for your e-mail message. In future I'll only use the one you suggest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Well, you do have Guy Hawkes Day.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, same to you!
      Ron

      Delete
  6. A very good list indeed.
    I have only some modest additions: whisky and rolling down grass hills, as it were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent additions to my list!

      Delete